PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to over do it?

Katiekoo
03-04-2012, 06:31 PM
I have just sent home little ones Lj's and one child who I have had since Nov 2010 so about 16 months and her file is bursting! :blush: It's a standard A4 clip file. I'm going to have to buy one of those larger ones for her I think.
Am I putting too much in???
I send them home quarterly.

I update the;
Likes sheet,
Learning and Development Grids - highlighted and with evidence form obs,

Plus I include;
Several post it size obs for each area of L&D, so about 12 new obs total.
Between 5 and 10 new 'what we've been up to' A4 sheets,
2/3 full obs,
New next steps,
Newsletter and Questionnaire.

I also have a 'Pages for Parents' blog and detailed daily diaries.

I love doing it and it is brilliant to look back at all we've done together, but sometimes I think OMG that is a lot! :panic: I'm also doing my CYPW course and starting to really struggle.

Is it time to slimline what I do?

The Juggler
03-04-2012, 06:37 PM
i started out with plastic wallets with bendy wires to hold the papers. moved to an A4 clip file..... my 3 year olds (been with me 2 1/2 and 2 years respectively) have just been upgraded to a Lever Arch file :laughing::laughing:

it's only too much if the parents arent' interested honey. Do what you feel is right for you/them :)

Katiekoo
03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Honestly, it means a lot to them and I don't know how I would break it to them that I would be doing less. One Mum was in tears the first time I sent the file home. These parents really hate leaving their children and do value the work I put in. I am starting to struggle though and I think I need to lose something - just not sure what!

Mouse
03-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Honestly, it means a lot to them and I don't know how I would break it to them that I would be doing less. One Mum was in tears the first time I sent the file home. These parents really hate leaving their children and do value the work I put in. I am starting to struggle though and I think I need to lose something - just not sure what!

Why not send a questionairre to parents explaining that, while you love doing the folders, it is too much work and you are going to have to cut it down. Give them some options on what they'd still like to see and what they'd be happy to miss out.

Katiekoo
03-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Thank you Mouse excellent suggestion.
I was also just thinking - I could probably send the same amount home but perhaps 3 times a year rather than 4? The assessment grids I use actually recommend doing them every 6 months.

Mouse
03-04-2012, 07:14 PM
That could be another option you give them. Would they prefer the same amount of info less times a year, or less info, but still 4 times a year?