PDA

View Full Version : Fees policy

pinkellifun
01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
I have written the fees policy below. Can you give me advice as to whether it contains everything I need it to and whether it makes sense please? I have also put in something about a deposit which I have mentioned on another thread.

The charges are payable on a daily/weekly/monthly basis and are to be paid in advance of the period worked. I would prefer a standing order direct into my account rather than cash unless you are paying on a daily basis. An invoice will be created for your reference stating the payment due date. Any hours worked over the standard contracted hours, will be invoiced on the following day/week/month.

Monthly payments
All payments are due on the first Monday of every month. I will invoice you on the first day your child starts with me. This invoice will be for the period of the start date up to the first Sunday of the following month. You will be given 1 week to pay this invoice. Your following invoices will be sent on the third Monday of every month, giving you 2 weeks in which to pay. Depending on the start date of your child, you may have to pay 5 or 6 weeks at once. This will be explained before you sign contracts.

Weekly payments
I will invoice you on the first day your child starts with me. This first invoice will be for 2 weeks working and gives you 1 week to pay; your second invoice will be for 1 week and given 1 week to pay. For example: if your child starts on Monday 2nd April, you would receive an invoice for the dates up to and including Friday 13th April. I will expect payment by Monday 9th April. Your second invoice would be sent Monday 9th April for the dates from Monday 16th April up to and including Friday 20th April. I would expect payment by 16th April.

Daily payments
I will expect a cash payment every morning that your child is dropped off. I will give a receipt showing you have paid. Any day that your child is ill, I will expect up to date payments on the morning that your child returns. For example: if your child is here on Monday, I will expect payment that morning. If they are then ill on Tuesday and Wednesday but are here Thursday, I will expect 3 days payment on Thursday morning. A written invoice will be produced every month to show what has been paid and when for your records.

Late payment Charges
If I have not received payment by the payment due date on your invoice, you will incur a late payment charge of £5.00 per working day, except where different payment times have been previously agreed and signed by the Registered Childminder and the Parent/Guardian.

Where payments are continually late, I will insist on changing the terms by requiring a longer period between the payment due date and when the actual working period starts. For example: I would expect payment 4 weeks in advance of the working period.

Thanks for any advice!

rickysmiths
01-04-2012, 02:25 PM
Personally I think you need to reduce the number of words. I think I would lose the will to live reading all that.

Some thing like this perhaps:

I accept payment weekly or monthly in advance. If weekly on the first day of care in the week, if monthly on the first of the month.

For ad-hoc care I ask for payment in advance when the care is booked. If the time is then not used the fee is not returned.

I accept Childcare Vouchers and am happy to be paid in cash or by cheque (note this would have to be given a week before the 1st of the month to enable payment to have cleared by 1st and is not acceptable for weekly payments) or preferably by direct payment into my bank.

I ask for a 4 weeks fees Deposit on signing the Contract. The Deposit is held until the end of the Contract when it is used to cover the 4 weeks Notice period as long as all fees are paid up to date at this point. If you decide not to use my care, reduce your hours, or leave my care in the first six months you will forfit all your deposit or the part of it that represents the reduced hours.

This is what I do.

I like to be paid on time, I do not issue invoices but will remind you a week before payment is due and will inform you of any adjustments due to my sickness or extra hours worked etc. I issue receipts when payment has been received. If payments a late I reserve the right to levy a fee of £5 for every day the payment is late.

I hope this helps.

miffy
01-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Too many options and too complicated a payment system - I just ask for payment monthly in advance on the first of th month

Miffy xx

kellib
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Don't give parents options on payment, you tell them when you want paid and leave it at that!

The Juggler
01-04-2012, 10:17 PM
I agree, go for basics. If parents can't manage this they can always discuss with you and then you can compromise on a solution.

Goatgirl
02-04-2012, 08:32 AM
Hi :),
It is a bit wordy. I'd be careful of trying to include absolutely everything and just highlight vital points to be honest :).

Mine has got things important to me and I explain the main points in more detail when we go through payment options etc during the first meeting/ enquiry by phone etc.

All payments must be in advance.
I prefer 4 weekly payments, due cleared in my bank account by the friday before the period of care. Please discuss alternative possibilities with me.
I accept payment by cash, direct bank transfer or childcare vouchers. I do not accept cheques.
Booked/contracted hours must be paid for even where child does not attend.
Booked/contracted hours are not transferable.
I do not charge for my holidays, occasional days off or sickness.
I do charge in full for your holidays, occasional non attendance and absence due to sickness. (please also see sickness policy)
Late/early charges will apply if you collect your child after the agreed time or bring your child earlier than the agreed start time. (see my drop off and collection policy).

I try to keep things sort of cheerful but firm; friendly but businesslike. I find once most families have heard you cheerfully say "no I don't accept payment in arrears under any circumstances" or "no I can't do that, I am running a business after all" or "Absolutely not, no. I need to know my bills will be paid and on time" and similar a few times, they tend not to take the mickey.

Its being firm and clear in the beginning that's important. And not always easy :rolleyes:

Most important is also not to feel apologetic for your charges. Be confident that your service is worth your hourly charge from the beginning and the parents are more likely to agree :thumbsup:

I have found that if I ever give a discount etc its important to document it, otherwise parents think when things change again, they are still automatically 'entitled ' to it, rather than that you have kindly helped them out (I do invoices and after learning the hard way, now name/itemise any small discount given).

I've probably gone on a bit, its up to you at the end of the day. Your business your rules :thumbsup: Good luck :)

pinkellifun
02-04-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks everyone for all the information you have given me. I must say, you guys are great!

I will look at all your advice and re-word and shorten ALL of my policies as I think they all may be a little long inthe tooth! I tend to want to make everything completely set out and clear with no chance of mis-understanding but I think I also make it harder for myeslf.

I will definitely take your advice.

Thanks.:clapping: