PDA

View Full Version : Shift work

melco
31-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi,

I have contacted a lady on the childcare.co.uk website as she is looking for a childminder who can do 20 hours a week.

I am looking after 2 children at the moment for 4 hours a week so I have the space but the only worry is that she works shifts so one week she may need me for the 20 hours and the next week she may not. She gets her shift details in advance so she knows what hours she will be doing but how will this work? Would you still have to charge for the 20 hours she doesn't use or would that be unfair? Was thinking maybe charging more an hour to cover that week where she will not be using me? As I am only recently registered I don't want to be turning people away!

I may be getting ahead of myself as she has not contacted me back so say whether she is interested in coming for a visit but just want to be ready.

Thanks in advance

Mel

jane5
31-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I had a shift worker that needed 2 or 3 mornings over a 5 day rota.

I charged her for 3 mornings (15 hours) every week even if she didnt use them and a 50% retainer for the 2 days that she didnt use but wanted them to be saved for her.

Dont sell your self short on this contract because you have spaces to fill because you may regret it if mum uses a full time space and only pays for hours used.

I worried when I was first registered about filling spaces but I am so glad that I stuck to my guns and charged a realistic fee.

I hope she contacts you :thumbsup:

miffy
31-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Before you decide on charges think about what you need to earn for each place every week - you only have limited places so could you afford for one of those to be kept open for someone who was only paying for a few of the hours available each week?

Good luck, hope she gets in touch soon

Miffy xx