PDA

View Full Version : Training for new EYFS?

Hayley102
28-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi
I was wondering which counties were already offering training for the new EYFS and if you had to pay for it? I cant find any info on training available in Nottinghamshire free or paid!

loocyloo
28-03-2012, 03:16 PM
north yorkshire has just published training days for the revised EYFS, but not until june. we don't have to pay for training in north yorkshire ( except for first aid :rolleyes: )

contact your FIS or DO and ask.

PixiePetal
28-03-2012, 03:36 PM
we have training - 2 1/2 hours on evenings/saturdays in May/June. Just phoned, my nearest and only one I could get to with a friend who drives is fully booked:rolleyes:

Oh well at least I tried and I will get my info from the forum instead :)

rickysmiths
28-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Herts will be doing training in June/July but not releasing the dates for it until towards the end of April.

NCMA are offing a range of training on the new EYFS online for its members. You can register by going into the membership area on the website.

charleyfarley
28-03-2012, 04:21 PM
[QUOTE=PixiePetal;1077812]we have training - 2 1/2 hours on evenings/saturdays in May/June.

Same here, I'm booked onto the only Saturday they are doing :thumbsup: and we don't have to pay for it here either :thumbsup:

Carol xx

teacake2
28-03-2012, 04:28 PM
East Staffs Network is doing training in June
Teacake2

rosebud
28-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I did mine last week and didn't have to pay. (Derby) All the dates are completed now but I think they'll have to offer some more as I only know 4 childminders that have been on it.

rickysmiths
28-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I did mine last week and didn't have to pay. (Derby) All the dates are completed now but I think they'll have to offer some more as I only know 4 childminders that have been on it.

They did it before the new EYFS was officially published?????

BucksCM
28-03-2012, 05:37 PM
They did it before the new EYFS was officially published?????

That's what I just thought!! And I'm sure it wasn't available before yesterday as I want to a meeting last night and we were all give slips of paper with the web address to download it all...as it had "just been published"

miffy
28-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Hi
I was wondering which counties were already offering training for the new EYFS and if you had to pay for it? I cant find any info on training available in Nottinghamshire free or paid!

Contact your development officer and ask.

Here's a link if you're not sure who it is

http://nottschildmindingassociation.webeden.co.uk/#/nottinghamshire-chil/4524141813

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
28-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Our training is still being written but I am sure will be delivered on time.

I am also waiting for the NCMA training online as it will save me time

singingcactus
28-03-2012, 06:11 PM
north yorkshire has just published training days for the revised EYFS, but not until june. we don't have to pay for training in north yorkshire ( except for first aid :rolleyes: )

contact your FIS or DO and ask.

I was just going to say this (except the bit about not paying cos I didn't know that). There's nothing local to me though....might have to see which one you're going on loocyloo and book onto that one lol.

nannysue
28-03-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm in North Somerset and I'm booked on an all day Saturday training day. This is early May .

*daisychain*
29-03-2012, 07:32 AM
I went on the first of of 3 training sessions last week , it was just an oveview of the new EYFS. The other 2 sessions are over the next few months and its free (Manchester)

Nikki125
29-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I have a half day training booked in april and its free, im in stockport.

Hayley102
29-03-2012, 12:05 PM
I have emailed to enquire from my do but as yet no answer!

miffy
29-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Let us know when you get an answer

Miffy xx

cara1235
29-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Have been told that Herefordshire will be sometime in June

sarahjane
29-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Lots of days available in Suffolk - but only for those on the Directory of Providers, the rest of us will have to wait and I assume our days will come :rolleyes:

Natternic
29-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Essex is June and July, and we've got to pay, not impressed as I'm still new and only completed an eyfs course in October which I didn't find helpful, got more info from here and my local childminders.

blue bear
29-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Oops posted in wrong place sorry x

Hayley102
05-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Hi

I eventually got a reply from my DO earlier this week - "The LA and NCMA will be providing some training opportunities at some point but due to restricted funding we don't know when that will be yet" :rolleyes:!!!

karensmart4
05-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Our 3 local children's centre's had there's last friday and the feedback was that they and LEA nurseries are going to have to do more 'parent friendly' obs.........Brings them in line with us don't you think :clapping:

Oh and I'm in Somerset :)

PixiePetal
05-04-2012, 04:30 PM
My local venues are fully booked for short course introducing new EYFS. They have added more days.............midweeks in the daytime :rolleyes: what are they thinking?!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

AgentTink
05-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Well were I am they have got 2 briefing session for nursery managers and 1 for after school groups to get together to discuss all the new statutory requirements and what needs to be implemented, and also to discuss with them what training they would like for their staff. When i questioned to whether the same would be provided for childminders I was told I could attend the normal practitioner one which will be in July sometime along with other nursery staff :mad:.

When I said but childminders also have to know all of the statutory changes as well I was met with silence and then a very quick im sure a session will be provided for childminders at some point :rolleyes:

So it looks like i will have to get started with it all with help from this forum, as I doubt the childminders one will be any time soon. :panic:

allison
08-04-2012, 08:34 PM
in lincolnshire there are 5 dates for training, so ive booked on to my local one which is at the middle of may

Kezzle
09-04-2012, 10:35 AM
My local venues are fully booked for short course introducing new EYFS. They have added more days.............midweeks in the daytime :rolleyes: what are they thinking?!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So it's not just my LA that think putting on all these courses in the middle of the day during a week is a great time to have a course!

Mollymop
09-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I received an email with an attached flier saying that eyfs training will be available soon.
We don't have to pay in Cambridgeshire.

Hayley102
09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
It seems there is a wide variety of training opportunities available but not nearly enough. What I don't understand is how can we all be assessed equally by Ofsted when we don't receive equal training opportunities? :rolleyes:

fishbones1
17-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Not received any news of local training yet, but I have just booked on to the NCMA webinars they are holding at the small cost of £68.30 for 7 sessions!!! but I'm sure it will be worth it.....

karensmart4
17-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Have had our briefing dates through (Somerset).... all during the day except one, have applied for that one and written a note to say that so I don't have to close and let parents down I can only attend this particular session. I'm waiting for a reply.... it's for next Thursday.

Kezzle
20-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I've just got a letter from my LA with 2 sessions to attend about the new EYFS. AND they've actually got 2 different time slots! Evening or day time! :clapping:

princessperfect
21-04-2012, 07:56 AM
I have been offered 2 course regarding the EYFS to attend in June free of charge.
Also next weekend I will be attending the Nursery Show which is a 2 day conference and a lot of it is based around the EYFS I will be happy to share this information. :)

Diana67
21-04-2012, 11:51 AM
fishbones 1
Hi I have booked on NCMA webinar had my 1st session on Thur 19th April Characteristics of effective learning.I personaly thought it was waste time as all tutor did was read of the new EYFS paper work which I all ready got and can read.The other students online never put a lot of input in as I am new and not got any mindies I couldnt realy put in any input.I would rather have been in classroom and interacting that way never mind all payed now so got another 6 sessions to go but my posional opion would be wait for class based training thats my view.
Diana:)

Hayley102
21-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Thanks for that feed back. I was wondering about the webinars but wasn't sure if it was for me! I wonder if anyone else has had a better experience.

Chatterbox Childcare
21-04-2012, 12:41 PM
In Swindon Wiltshire I understand it is still being written. It has always been free in the past as it was compulsory but not sure this time.

guest3
21-04-2012, 01:25 PM
I have a half day training booked in april and its free, im in stockport.

I've been this morning to Bredbury Hall. Were you there Nikki? What did you think? :rolleyes:

Tazmin68
24-04-2012, 12:18 PM
NCMA are doing the webinar training sessions at the moment. There are 7 available. I did the first one last night. I have booked for all 7 and it works out approx £7 for each one but if i attended one with local council which they have not orgainised yet we dont know if they are free and i would have had petrol costs to add anyway.

I was quite impressed with it.

Debbie

rickysmiths
24-04-2012, 01:21 PM
NCMA are doing the webinar training sessions at the moment. There are 7 available. I did the first one last night. I have booked for all 7 and it works out approx £7 for each one but if i attended one with local council which they have not orgainised yet we dont know if they are free and i would have had petrol costs to add anyway.

I was quite impressed with it.

Debbie

I had a call about that last week and I haven't been able to get through to the phone number yet!

I was quite shocked when I saw how much it was for all the training so I am glad
I couldn't get through. I can't see that there are so many differences that it is worth nearly £80 to find out to be honest.

Muffin
24-04-2012, 02:48 PM
fishbones 1
Hi I have booked on NCMA webinar had my 1st session on Thur 19th April Characteristics of effective learning.I personaly thought it was waste time as all tutor did was read of the new EYFS paper work which I all ready got and can read.The other students online never put a lot of input in as I am new and not got any mindies I couldnt realy put in any input.I would rather have been in classroom and interacting that way never mind all payed now so got another 6 sessions to go but my posional opion would be wait for class based training thats my view.
Diana:)

I feel exactly the same- what a waste of time and money. Tutor read from statutory framework which i can do for free. I have done 3 webinars and have learnt nothing :(

laurendugdale22
24-04-2012, 10:37 PM
Mines this monday in Blackpool, they are putting on three eenings but we only need to attend one. Oh and its free.

Tazmin68
25-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I was happy with the webinars and if you went out on an evening course you would have petrol costs so not a lot of difference when take into account costs. Plus Birmingham still have not sorted out their budgets so no planned courses as yet plus we will probably have to pay for them anyway.

Tazmin68
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I have now been told by LA that training will be June/July still no news if free or not.

Cammie Doodle
03-05-2012, 05:40 AM
We are booked in for an evening in June and it's free :D We had a choice of days/ dates but at least this way we won't lose our income to attend :blush:

Hayley102
03-05-2012, 06:55 AM
We still haven't had any news apart from our DO attending some of the childminding groups to discuss changes. Unfortunately I cant get to mine as it is in the afternoon and I have a lo that sleeps and our school finishes at 3pm so would have to leave shortly after arriving! Not very helpful!:(

Pedagog
03-05-2012, 08:56 AM
I have had nothing from our LA (Wakefield) so I emailed them yesterday and got the following Out of Office reply.

I am currently out of the office until Tuesday 3rd January 2012, if you require urgent assistance please contact: 01924 ******

Not very reassuring.

Shar
05-05-2012, 07:06 AM
Just booked on 2hour course in June. There is another 2hour date in July. We have to pay £15 if booked now or £20 nearer the time. Not sure if 2 hours is going to cover very much!

TooEarlyForGin?
10-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Essex is June and July, and we've got to pay, not impressed as I'm still new and only completed an eyfs course in October which I didn't find helpful, got more info from here and my local childminders.

I am on the Essex/Suffolk border, I applied for the Essex training ages ago and sent off my cheque and haven't heard anything, so I popped on the new Suffolk CPD site, last week to see what they have, requested a free place in a town nearer to me than any of the Essex ones, received an E-mail back on Monday confirming my place. My safeguarding has also run out and Essex aren't currently running any, I have been urgently E-mailing them for the last 3 months chasing, have just been told that they have only just appointed their trainers and will have meetings to discuss how they will roll it out over the next few weeks :panic: I again went onto the Suffolk site and have booked a FREE course again and had the confirmation within 2 working days. It shows the awful differences between counties.

blue bear
10-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Just booked mine for an evening in June in my town so can walk there, it's free and we are getting a copy of revised eyfs for free too, how good is that!

kats
10-05-2012, 01:45 PM
The training in my area is just a 1 and a half hour session, more of an introduction to it really, i was told that there are no plans at the moment to offer any more training. To be honest the courses i have been to in the past have not been very good, i learn a lot more by coming on here so i have chosen not to go on the course and to teach myself just as i did when the present EYFS came into practise :)

lottieslittlelambs
10-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Just booked mine for an evening in June in my town so can walk there, it's free and we are getting a copy of revised eyfs for free too, how good is that!

Me too! Although I can't walk it is only a 10 min car journey!

I'm in Wiltshire, where are you?

Ali56
10-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Here in north wilts our training has just come online to book-just for a change there is a choice of several dates over june/july AND a choice of daytime/evening and saturdays! Nearest one to me is july, normally have to drive 45 mins to all training courses but this time its in our nearest town, happy to wait-this forum is fab for info and got till sept anyway :D
Free for us too-shame on the councils who are making you pay. :mad:

wendywu
10-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Oh my gosh we have so much in surrey, 4 x 2hour evening courses to cover every age group and link in with the new development matters. Then 2 different seminars, one half a day and one full day.

Then 2 of our childrens centres are offering cluster meetings in the evenings about the new EYFS.

And its all free :clapping:

Hayley102
25-05-2012, 12:20 PM
I have been told to expect 'information workshops' during week beginning 10th September. :clapping: No news as to where, when or costs! I hope no-one is being inspected early September as they wont have had access to the information!

miffy
25-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I have been told to expect 'information workshops' during week beginning 10th September. :clapping: No news as to where, when or costs! I hope no-one is being inspected early September as they wont have had access to the information!

Ha, ha I got that email too this morning - better late than never I suppose!

Miffy xx

ninagee
25-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Birmingham have just published their briefing sessions to be held in June and July. Its about 2.5 hours long and its free. My booking form has been sent but haven't had any confirmation yet.

Nina :)

curlywurly
25-05-2012, 08:08 PM
Hiya,

I'm in Nottingham too, I just got an email today to say that training for new EYFS will be week beginning 10th Sept!

It seems a bit late to me!

miffy
25-05-2012, 08:11 PM
Hiya,

I'm in Nottingham too, I just got an email today to say that training for new EYFS will be week beginning 10th Sept!

It seems a bit late to me!

Yep it does, we should all be doing it anyway by then :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Daisy1956
25-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Hi
We are being offered 1hr training it's free but can't see how much they can cover in such a short time.

sharonmanc
25-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Oldham are 2 evening slots all compulsory, but free, 6.30-8.30 - which i wont be able to attend as I work late on those evenings :(

helengreen13
25-05-2012, 11:58 PM
Lincoln are offering 3 hours free on Saturday's with 2 sessions per day, and it's free in July as booked on it today.

Ange1958
26-05-2012, 04:05 AM
NCMA have Webinars about the EYFS review I believe.

wellybelly
26-05-2012, 06:17 AM
I've just got a letter from my LA with 2 sessions to attend about the new EYFS. AND they've actually got 2 different time slots! Evening or day time! :clapping:

Hi Kezzle,

Im booked onto to those two sessions aswell, I have heard they're giving us a copy of the revised EYFS too at one of the sessions.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-05-2012, 07:38 AM
I am booked onto our 2 hour session on 27th June. Swindon council have put on sessions for about 200 childminders so it will be interesting who takes it up. Ours is free.

If you haven't heard from your council contact the EY section and ask as they may have something in the pipeline.

rickysmiths
26-05-2012, 11:25 AM
NCMA have Webinars about the EYFS review I believe.

They do but it costs about £80 to complete them all.

Starfish007
29-05-2012, 07:34 PM
In Halifax, West Yorkshire there is a specific workshop for childminders all day on a Saturday and costs £25, that includes a copy of the book.

Ange1958
01-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Has anybody done an NCMA Webinar? Are they any good?

SandCastles
12-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Just arrived back from my revised EYFS training session and it was a waste of my time, we had copies of the statutory and practice guidance but we couldn't keep them (we have to print out our own!!) and the two trainers just read from these.
Some questions were answered, some weren't answered and some childminders were told that a DO will be round to see them soon.
Oh I did get a certificate saying I had attended but I have to write my own name on it!

murrayspud
13-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Just arrived back from my revised EYFS training session and it was a waste of my time, we had copies of the statutory and practice guidance but we couldn't keep them (we have to print out our own!!) and the two trainers just read from these.
Some questions were answered, some weren't answered and some childminders were told that a DO will be round to see them soon.
Oh I did get a certificate saying I had attended but I have to write my own name on it!

Oh My!! It's like we were at the same training but miles apart!!! We had training copies of the documents 1 between 2 or 3 (I had printed out my own copy and took that.)

I was shocked :eek: to find that I was the only one out of a room of 25 with my own copy of the documents required, and 1 of 3 who had even looked at it!!!!! Looks like I am better prepared than I thought. :clapping::clapping: Next is looking at policies, procedures and paperwork to make sure I know what needs to be changed come September!!

Kathryn

Tink
13-06-2012, 07:56 AM
I attended a training course last night that was also such a waste of time. 2 hours of the woman reading from a sheet of paper, going through everything I have already read:angry:

I have learnt more from this forum and I was answering questions the other childminders had, as the trainers didn't know the answers!!!!

Honestly, anyone can read the guidance:rolleyes:

GILLIAN H
13-06-2012, 01:02 PM
i live in leeds doing mine on saturday and its free :thumbsup:

oakie dokie
13-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I had training last night, it was free, we were given photo copies of the new guide lines etc and a cd rom with samples of paperwork etc on them. when I finally get to the end of the infinity files I will try to share some on here!:laughing:

Oh and yes , she just kept telling us what hadn't changed :idea: and read from the books!

QualityCare
14-06-2012, 04:01 PM
Have mine next week it is free and only for an hour l can't see that much will be covered in that time especially with people jumping in and asking questions as they go along and they will not be able to over run as the next group starts with the same trainer as soon as ours finishes.

Minimonkeys
18-06-2012, 08:14 PM
i live in leeds doing mine on saturday and its free :thumbsup:

Hi Gillian

Im a childminder in Leeds also, and am really struggling to find some EYFS training? Can you tell me where you found out about it please? I need to have a look this week. Are there many changes? Havent looked at it as yet.

Thanks
Rachel

georgie456
23-06-2012, 05:20 PM
I am booked onto our 2 hour session on 27th June. Swindon council have put on sessions for about 200 childminders so it will be interesting who takes it up. Ours is free.

If you haven't heard from your council contact the EY section and ask as they may have something in the pipeline.

I was on the course today in Swindon. I have to say it was very interesting but was way, way too short. They had to race through the last half an hour which was all about the 2 year check and really could have done with being gone over in more detail. The Trio ladies did the best tutoring they could with what little information they had been given. Felt a bit sorry for them to be honest.

Childrenatheart
24-06-2012, 09:47 PM
The trouble is that this forum (& others like it) provide so much wonderful information & support that any training you attend is going to be hard pressed to tell you something you haven't already learned on here! Members of any forums often find basic training disappointing because they are the ones who have gone to great efforts to find out for themselves. None of the EYFS trainers will have had much more than the docs themselves to work with so can't give us any more than that. They can't answer questions about variations & such like as they will not know as Ofsted & DES haven't issued official guidance yet.
It's frustrating BUT give yourselves a pat on the back, and feel very very superior lol

hectors house
25-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Did anyone who attended a course find them useful, Somerset put on 2 x
2 hr sessions, I missed most of first one as was taken ill and had to leave - they seemed to be focusing on "the way that a child learns", have got a handout on that. The next session we had to take an observation we had done and re-write it using "the way that a child learns" info as well as the new headings for Stages of Development. We also had a quick quiz on new stat framework, the Nursery staff had taken a copy of the New EYFS but not the stat framework and none of the childminders took a copy of anything as not going to print it out until it has been finalised.

Didn't really learn anything on courses - sorry Somerset!

Cammie Doodle
25-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Just leaving in a min to attend my training. Will report back later :D

Jules12Wed
25-06-2012, 05:23 PM
We only have four courses you can book on but only 25 per course so only 100 places and there are well over 300 minders in my area!!! 2 course are in October and the other two are March next year!!

loocyloo
25-06-2012, 06:20 PM
i had an EYFS session as part of a network childminder day the other weekend, and i had already booked on a revised eyfs day for today. i still went as i thought rthat sharing info with schools & nurseries/preschools would be interesting with different view points rather than just CM.

we were given a printed out copy of dev't matters and stat.guidance. i have now sat through the same power point twice, in the same length of time, although delivered very differently! :rolleyes: the CM discussed it much more, and seem to have more of an understanding of what differences there will/will not be!

apparently there are also going to be eyfs evenings for childminders at each childrens centre in july.

we will get info on how North Yorkshire want/would like 2 yr checks done in the autumn term, and also the summative assessment system that is used will be updated come autumn. they are still waiting for some information to be released!

blue bear
25-06-2012, 08:32 PM
Just got back from mine, the statutory guidance, development matters and guide to two year check were given to us and are of good quality, proper books with staples.

It was mainly a run through of differences and looking at it for the first time so no learning as have already covered all that on here and reading it myself.

The ladies running the briefing stuck to the timings and were clear with what they were reading from but lots of "we don't know yet" as answers to questions.

loocyloo
25-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Just got back from mine, the statutory guidance, development matters and guide to two year check were given to us and are of good quality, proper books with staples.

It was mainly a run through of differences and looking at it for the first time so no learning as have already covered all that on here and reading it myself.

The ladies running the briefing stuck to the timings and were clear with what they were reading from but lots of "we don't know yet" as answers to questions.

we were told that as the guidance hasn't been received for the 2 yr check, we couldn't have it yet! ;) but maybe that is just NY hasn't decided what it is doing yet! got to get the HV on board ...our local HV do the check as the child turns 2, if not the week before, so not going to link in with the 2 yr check :laughing:

blue bear
25-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Our Hv's don't do two year checks at all and we were told we need to do assessment for hv check. It caused lots of confusion.

C&A Childcare
27-06-2012, 03:31 PM
I live in West Yorkshire and to be honest I hadn't really thought that training for it would be a requirement. Are Ofsted expecting all childminders to have completed training? How are we supposed to know about this if nobody tells us?

rickysmiths
27-06-2012, 03:33 PM
I live in West Yorkshire and to be honest I hadn't really thought that training for it would be a requirement. Are Ofsted expecting all childminders to have completed training? How are we supposed to know about this if nobody tells us?

I don't think you have to do training but all Local Authorities have to do some for childminders who want it.