PDA

View Full Version : Can I claim for fencing?

clorogue
27-03-2012, 07:57 AM
My garden isn't registered, it is a large garden and the fencing is insecure and broken. For me to get it registered it all needs to be made safe and secure. Can I claim for new fencing? thanks

BucksCM
27-03-2012, 08:14 AM
I would have thought that because you need the work to be done before you can use the garden then it should be an allowabe expense.

I have a fence that needs fixing before I can allow mindees out in the garden again, so I think that I will be putting a % of the cost through because I am fixing it more for the business than for my family (children are 18 and 12 so don't play in the garden much now!)

I do believe that Mr Anchovy is the man in the know!:)

rickysmiths
27-03-2012, 08:20 AM
I put a % of our fence through when we first moved here because we put up a different kind of fence because I was childminding. Again a couple of years ago we had an extension built and a new patio with new fencing so I put a % through.

aly
27-03-2012, 08:57 AM
I think Mr A Says no...cant remember...although when I started in order for me to register I had to get fencing to seperate the dog to te children so I did claim it.

Hayley102
27-03-2012, 09:49 AM
i have claimed for garden work before now. So I hope so!

MrAnchovy
27-03-2012, 08:07 PM
If you are talking about repairs to an existing fence then you can claim a fair proportion based on how much you will use the garden for childminding as opposed to how much you use it as a familiy.

If you are replacing the fence then this is not an allowable expense, but you may be able to claim Annual Investment Allowance if the fence is in fact plant (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/camanual/CA22270.htm) or is in fact an asset providing personal security (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/camanual/CA22270.htm). All I can suggest is that you read the sections I linked to, and if you think either of these applies, claim the expenditure. If you are inspected and HMRC disagree with you, you may have to pay additional tax.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I was told by a tax inspector that we could claim as the premises have to be made safe under our regulatory conditions.

I am not opposing what Mr A says, just contact the HMRC and see what their advice is and get their name