PDA

View Full Version : Teacher training Days...Do you all charge?

MAWI
26-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Hi All

Just wondering what everyone else does. Up until now I have always charged full fees for TD days for Term Time Only children.

Anyway, one parent is going off onone about it. I have explained that I go by the Council term dates and not the school the children attend(because I look after children from a few schools). She is threatening me with Ofsted and all sorts. this same parent has just dropped from 2 children All year round to wanting term time only(I did it for her without any notice too)and now querying the TD day payment.

Normally I'm quite good and stand up for myself but it has put doubts in my head.

What does everyone else do

Many thanks:)

rickysmiths
26-03-2012, 07:41 AM
If a training day happened on a normal contracted day for that child and the parent did not want to use me then yes they would pay their normal fee.

The other way to do it is to charge a higher fee for term time only that includes 5 training days and half fee retainer for the 13 weeks holidays added up and divided by 38 weeks (school year is 39 weeks including training days) then it feels to the parents as if they are only paying for the 38 weeks they are using. This is the way I do it.

I would work out the figures for this parent and offer her the choice of which to pay.

VeggieSausage
26-03-2012, 08:01 AM
I wouldn't charge if they were an after schoolie for a term time only contract as it isn't an official term date, the school is closed so you are unable to go and pick them up etc, just how I would do it.

flowerpots
26-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I wouldn't charge if they were an after schoolie for a term time only contract as it isn't an official term date, the school is closed so you are unable to go and pick them up etc, just how I would do it.

I agree, this is how I do it. :thumbsup:

mama2three
26-03-2012, 12:35 PM
I would generally charge ..especially when you cover more than 1 school with differing inset days ..you are open as usual and so paid as usual. I make sure they know that term time only means they dont pay in designated cc school holidays only.

Hayley102
26-03-2012, 12:39 PM
If I was able to look after them on that day and the parents didn't want me I would charge the school day rate. I have made the decision not to take school children in holidays or inset days so I don't charge as I am not available!

The Juggler
26-03-2012, 01:03 PM
I would charge. she is already getting 13 weeks per year at half fee or payment free so I don't see why she should charge. I wouldn't charge the whole day though (unless it's an under 5?) just the full normal rate for the hours child would normally be there

tialil
27-03-2012, 07:18 PM
I always charge, I am available to provide care. I plan all my school holidays from the council website . Parents sometimes dont tell me its an inset day until last moment (even though I try to keep up by reading the childrens newsletters) my sons are in comprehensive so insets are different to our primary.

When parents come for interveiws all this is explained to them.

Mummits
28-03-2012, 06:11 AM
I define term time as the pupil days for my nearest school, which I inform them of in a handout. If parents have children at a different school, or work at a different school themselves, they may have to pay for a couple of their inset days, whether or not they send their children. I find most do. If I work "my" inset days, I charge for them.

miffy
28-03-2012, 06:39 AM
If a training day happened on a normal contracted day for that child and the parent did not want to use me then yes they would pay their normal fee.

I would do the same as Rickysmiths

Miffy xx

MAWI
28-03-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for all your replies. It's confirmed to me that I am right.:)

Ripeberry
28-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Thanks for all your replies. It's confirmed to me that I am right.:)

We all do things differently. And the mum knows she can't threaten with Ofsted as they would not be interested anyway. Penny pinching mum comes to mind :rolleyes: