PDA

View Full Version : Toddler group RA

*Katrina*
23-03-2012, 07:35 AM
The toddler group I attend with DD is very hazardous now I actually come to think of it whilst trying to do my risk assessment :laughing:

Things like - the front door is always unlocked (although DD can't reach handle yet) so potentially children/adults can be walking in and out, the door to the kitchen is always open (although I do close it myself sometimes), the doors to the toilets are left open (found DD with her face in the toilet once :rolleyes:) they have one socket cover in the whole building - all the other sockets are just left bare. Children constantly trying to climb chairs, going underneath tables and chairs, banging their heads etc.

What would I put for "controlling the risk"? That I run around like a headless chicken to keep them in sight? (which is what I do with DD at the moment lol), should I ask the lady that runs the group to get some socket covers etc?

Daftbat
23-03-2012, 07:40 AM
I can understand your concerns as some of these factors are prevalent at lots of places that we take children to. As someone who runs a toddler group myself I am always happy to receive information about what others view as possible concerns and so I wouldd approach the organiser about this. However, we also need to bear in mind that some of the risks (tables, chairs, doors etc) are things that will always pose a risk and the only thing you can do is be attentive and teach the children about these risks as they grow.

With regard to the socket covers - if you google "fatally flawed" you will see a very interesting article about socket covers and the fact that they are actually more of a risk than leaving the socket bare. All sockets in the UK must carry a saftey rating which means that the use of covers is not needed. I don't use them and have included the information about fatally flawed in my policies.

miffy
23-03-2012, 07:40 AM
What would I put for "controlling the risk"? That I run around like a headless chicken to keep them in sight?

I use the words "close supervision" but it amounts to the same thing!

I'd have a word with the lady who runs the group - ask for her RA, if she hasn't done one you could suggest looking at the risks together and writing one.

Miffy xx

mama2three
23-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Socket covers aside it sounds like a nightmare, especialy with more than 1 to keep an eye on!
Socket covers are actually more dangerous potentially than open sockets - there is a factsheet The NON use of Socket Covers Policy/Procedure in free downloads.
as for the doors to the toilets , entrance and kitchen I would put in my RA ''constant supervision'' , but Id also be hoping to find a different toddler group!

sarah707
23-03-2012, 08:08 AM
There are a number of groups locally - one I won't go to because it's simply too dangerous for the children and there's a little one who hits every other child.

You need to take a step back - are you saying it's too dangerous? Should you be speaking to the organiser about proper safeguards? Does it have insurance? Would you be covered if something went wrong?

Hth :D

*Katrina*
23-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Thank you for the information on the fatally flawed website, certainly makes an interesting read!!

I will have a word with the organiser when I go next week, I guess it is one of those things where I can "put up" with certain things with my own DD, I know what she is likely to be doing/trying to do with regards to going in the kitchen etc but with mindees its not be worth the risk. I would hope they have insurance as it is a parish run toddler group linked to the church. I think if there is a risk assessment it is probably well outdated - the group is very informal.
I will perhaps offer to try and help with risk assessments if needed as this is the only group around here for a few miles and I get along with the other mums there so it would be a shame to stop going once I am childminding.