PDA

View Full Version : Not sure about LJ

Phoenix
22-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I am currently doing my Lj's in scrap books, picture of child on front, then I have inside a picture of the activity and print a sticker with the age range, what area of learning it relates to and then what sub-section its cross ref'd against then a brief little sentence about what the child thought - example -

40-60 months
Creative Development
Responding to Experiences, Expressing & Communicating Ideas
Respond in a variety of ways to what they see, hear, smell touch and feel/Express and communicate their ideas, thoughts and feelings by using a widening range of materials, suitable tools, imaginative and role play movement, designing and making and a variety of songs and musical instruments.
We used the Mr. Potato Heads to make funny faces and add hats and glasses to change how they looked, we then pretended they were going to work.

This then gets stuck in book next to pic - however from there I am getting stuck, it doesnt look particularly exciting, I am struggling when the activity is linked to more than one area to fit everything in and not sure whether to show where I need to go next with it - good god this is horrendous!!!

sarah707
22-03-2012, 12:44 PM
I think you are maybe trying too hard!

If you link the obs to the areas of learning and development you can then use one master sheet of Development Matters covering the child's age and stage of development and date that to show you have an observation from a certain area.

So your obs sheet shows the photo, some words to describe and Eyfs link to PSED or PD.

Then Development Matters shows PSED - 40 - 60 months - Dispositions and attitudes - quote - and a date which links back to the obs.

Does that make sense? :D

Phoenix
22-03-2012, 06:11 PM
No!!!!

I must be really thick, can you break it right down, I am stressing big time - Starting to think about giving the whole thing up for good

sarah707
22-03-2012, 06:28 PM
You have 2 documents -

Development Matters from the Eyfs which lists all the things the child might do for her age and stage of development.

your observation form.

You notice that John is really enjoying counting at the moment and is using some counting words in order.

You write it as an observation and, on the observation form, you link it to PSR&N.

When you go to the Development Matters document for John's age which is 30 - 50 months you see that in PSR&N numbers for labels and counting / 30 - 50 months it it says 'I use some number names spontaneously'.

You put the date next to this statement as it describes what John was doing during his play and links the statement to his observation.

You can then think about how to extend his learning - maybe by talking about numbers in play, singing number songs, reading number books etc.

Does that help? :D

Phoenix
22-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Nope sorry I am being really thick!!!! God sorry
Is the development matters thing the really thick (like me) book from the eyfs pack?

What if it links to more than one and how do you decide which subsections it relates to - and how do you take it on to the next stage!!

Oh christ, dont think I can do this, considering getting the ncma journals and stickers? But can find any pics of the inside of them to see what their like x

sarah707
22-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Is the development matters thing the really thick (like me) book from the eyfs pack?

Yes that's right!

You should be using it for every child - just the ages and stages that are most relevant to them.

What if it links to more than one and how do you decide which subsections it relates to -

It's up to you. I tend to link to the most important one... you can link to lots if you want!

I find if I link to lots of places I just end up confused... so I pick the most likely.

Sometimes there aren't any obvious links because the document cannot possibly say every single thing a child says or does.

and how do you take it on to the next stage!!

It's what you are doing already! Just think about what teh child might enjoy next.

Hope that helps! :D

sunview_cm
23-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Nope sorry I am being really thick!!!! God sorry

What if it links to more than one and how do you decide which subsections it relates to - and how do you take it on to the next stage!!

Oh christ, dont think I can do this, considering getting the ncma journals and stickers? But can find any pics of the inside of them to see what their like x

If your thick then so am I! I just can't get my head around it too.

x

sunview_cm
23-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Hope that helps! :D

So with the development matters book I've read somewhere to photocopy the parts relevent to that childs age/stage. Surely that ends up being quite alot of paper if you do it for each area of learning and for every child?
Do you keep this seperate from the lj or attach it to it some how?:eek:

Emma x

sarah707
23-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Hunt online there are lots of Development Matters shortened versions it doesn't have to be pages long :D

Rosy Days
23-03-2012, 10:17 PM
So with the development matters book I've read somewhere to photocopy the parts relevent to that childs age/stage. Surely that ends up being quite alot of paper if you do it for each area of learning and for every child?
Do you keep this seperate from the lj or attach it to it some how?:eek:

Hi, have you got the EYFS CD? If you have, you can print off the development grids in relation to the age of your child, think you choose age of child and then all areas of development and they should appear. You can then print them off and put them in the LJ, alot of cminders highlight them once the child has reached the relevant stages of development. x :)

sunview_cm
24-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi, have you got the EYFS CD? If you have, you can print off the development grids in relation to the age of your child, think you choose age of child and then all areas of development and they should appear. You can then print them off and put them in the LJ, alot of cminders highlight them once the child has reached the relevant stages of development. x :)

That sound great but sadly no I don't have the cd rom :(
Thanks though!
I'll have a hunt online Sarah :)
x