PDA

View Full Version : Incident & Accident forms

Kirsty90
21-03-2012, 08:25 AM
What type of things do you need to write an incident form for and what needs to be recorded as an accident? Does every little thing need to be recorded as an accident or is it only if the child seems hurt or is upset?

Nothing has happened so far that I would see as being an accident/incident but just want to check?

Thanks

rickysmiths
21-03-2012, 09:16 AM
You do need to record most bumps and grazes.

Ofsted actually told me off when I had my first inspection by them way back in 2001 when they took over because I had practically nothing in my Accident Book and was so proud! The inspector said that as I had toddlers she would have expected to see more because toddlers are always grazing their knees and bumping themselves! I now record anything however small. Some children have lots of forms filled in and others have very few.

rosebud
21-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I record accidents if they have left a mark - no matter how small and if the child has bumped their head.

Incidents could be things like if you had to restrain a child - for example if they were about to run into the road. It wouldn't be an accident but would be something where you would want a written record for your own protection (fo example if someone reported it to Ofsted) and to demonstrate that you informed the parents. It also enables you to reflect on the incident and to see whether you could've dealt with it another way or done something to prevent it happening.

miffy
23-03-2012, 07:48 AM
I record accidents if they have left a mark - no matter how small and if the child has bumped their head.

I do the same as Rosebud.

Incidents could also be an argument between two children which may result in an injury to one - you would record what happened for each set of parents (without naming other child).

You also need to record any existing injuries children have when they arrive with you.

Miffy xx

Rosy Days
23-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Hi, I searched this on here recently, as I have a lo who has only just started walking and she is forever loosing balance and knocking her head here and there (nothing major but you know what they are like when toddling). I was unsure whether I should put every single knock in my accident book as I would be filling it up within a few months!

So I took some advice from here and now have a small exercise book per child which is my accident book for minor bumps and knocks etc, I just write in date, time, where and what happened which the parent signs. My main accident book (NCMA) is for more significant accidents.

I once minded a child who just had random nose bleeds so they went down as an incident rather than an accident. :):) xx