PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me with a quick query, please??!

Nettynoo
19-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Am I correct in thinking that I don't have to do a learning journey if the child attends preschool more than you she attends my setting! Mum takes her to preschool so I have no contact with them so can show no 'working together' evidence!! Would appreciate any advice!! Thankyou! X

mama2three
19-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Im afraid we need to do LJs for all our children up to August after their 5th birthday , no matter how long they are with us. the amount in the lj will vary of course with the hours they do.
If mum has given you permission to share information then drop the playgroup a line explaining that you would like to work in partnership with them (as per EYFS guidance). Sometimes great links can be formed , more often none at all unfortunately - but at least you can show you tried!

miffy
19-03-2012, 03:10 PM
I agree with Kath and Ofsted will expect to see evidence that you have tried to share info with other settings whether you take or collect the child from there or not.

Miffy xx

gigglinggoblin
19-03-2012, 03:25 PM
One of mine only comes for 3 hours a week, over two years I have managed to get together quite a nice folder with photos and obs. I was advised that for that length of time we should have 1 ob for each bit of EYFS over the course of a year. Use bits of artwork they have done with you and lots of photos to make it look nice, you dont notice there are fewer obs that way (obs are less interesting to parents ime).

I also share care and dont have contact with nursery but called them and had a meeting to chat, we are going to email to stay in touch in future. Yours may not want to stay in touch but if you try you can at least tell Ofsted you made the effort, it doesnt have to take up much time.

rosebud
19-03-2012, 04:45 PM
You don't have to do a LJ but you do have to implement the EYFS. I have a 4 year old one morning a week (in nursery) and another after school 2 evenings (in reception). I don't do an LJ for either, however I do take photos to share with their parents, I do work with their other settings by finding out what themes they are following and provide resources to support their learning when with me and if I notice something which I think may be useful to their other settings I will share it by writing it up as an observation to go in their LJ or simply mention it to their teacher, I will also ask them for advice if need be.
I have had children who attend 3 different settings - can you imagine them having 3 separate LJ's?!? Its much better practice to share info and for the LJ to be maintained by the setting which receives their funding or where they do most hours. (IMHO)