PDA

View Full Version : Medicine and safeguarding policy

NicoleW
16-03-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm going through my policies tonight pre-empting my first graded inspection.

This is the wording I have in my medicine policy

Medicines should not usually be administered unless they have been prescribed for that child by a doctor, pharmacist, dentist or nurse.. Non-prescription medication e.g. pain and fever relief or teething gel may be administered, but only with the prior written consent of the parent and only when there is a health reason to do so.

I ask kindly, that you inform me if you’ve given your child medicine before arriving in my care, the amount and time given so I can follow on correctly with the dosage required. I request all medicine brought with the child to be in the original container with the manufacturer’s guidelines on. All medicine will be stored out of reach of children; if appropriate I will make name labels to attach to bottles and/or packaging.

If your child receives long-term medication such as an inhaler, I require a separate form for parents to complete and sign.

I will keep a record of all medicine administered to your child, date, time and amount given.

I will state that any child who have been prescribed antibiotics and have not had them before may be asked not to attend, just in case they develop a reaction to the medication which could spread infection to others. For a minimum of 48 hours.

Can someone double check this for me please

And also my safeguarding one

My responsibility as a childminder is to ensure the safety and welfare of all the children in my care in line with the procedures laid out by my local Safeguarding Children’s Board.
I have received (and regularly update) training on Safeguarding Children (Child Protection), regularly read relevant articles and I am aware of the signs and symptoms of child abuse, physical, emotional and sexual, and those of neglect.
If I have reason to believe that any child in my care is being abused in any way I will immediately report the matter to the Duty Social Worker for Social Services. Under these circumstances, I will not be able to keep information relating to your child confidential, but will need to share it with Ofsted, Social Services and the Police on a ‘need to know ‘basis.
All issues will be discussed with the parents unless I feel that the child will be put at risk by doing so.
If I notice:
 Significant changes in children’s behaviour
 Unexpected bruising or marks or signs of possible abuse
 Any comments / actions made which give me cause for concern
 Deterioration in general well-being which causes concern
 Signs of neglect
I will put into action the procedures outlined by the Local Safeguarding Children’s Board (which are I have stored on my computer for reference). I will call the local Social Services’ duty desk immediately; if it is known that a child is at risk of harm. I will follow it up with a letter within 48 hours. I will keep a factual record of the concern and will ask the parents for an explanation, providing it would not put the child at risk.
If a child confides in me about a possible allegation of abuse I will…

 Listen to what the child has to say.
 NOT probe or ask questions.
 Provide care and reassurance.
 Explain that I will not be able to keep the conversation a secret, but that it will be handled in a safe and secure way.
 Record exactly what has been said, actions, dates, times, people present.
 Refer the conversation directly to my local Social Services in order for them to make an assessment of the situation.

I must also alert OFSTED and Social Services, if an allegation of abuse has been made against myself or a member of my family.

If an allegation is made against me, I will report it to Ofsted and social services. In all instance I will record:

 the child’s full name and address
 the date and time of the record
 factual details of the concern, for example bruising, what the child said, who was present
 details of any previous concerns
 details of any explanations from the parents
 any action taken such as speaking to parents

It is my responsibility to safeguard the children in my care. However, I simply provide the facts and possible evidence. It is not my responsibility to make judgements or evaluations about cases of possible abuse.
I must inform Ofsted of any allegations of abuse within 14 days.
It is not my responsibility to attempt to investigate the situation myself.
If you have any concerns regarding this policy please discuss them with me.
Useful telephone numbers:
Ofsted - 0300 123 4666
Social Services - 023 8083 3336 or 023 8023 3344 (out of hours Emergency Duty Team)
Southampton Local Safeguarding Children’s Board: 023 8083 2995

Please note: I have changed the Ofsted number as the one in my policy is the wrong one

kat27
16-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi I only registered today, however I recently finished working in the NHS I have on mine that I will store the meds as the prescriber's instructions state. e.g penicillin has to be kept in the fridge etc. Prob just me being unable to switch off from medical mode ha ha, but worth thinking about to cover your own back??
kate x