PDA

View Full Version : newbie what to charge

mabel
16-03-2012, 04:38 PM
thrilled at getting a lovely little baby to mind today, however not sure how to work out the money

mum is a doctor - so has shifts, she has worked it that my days will be either wed, thur or fri

some weeks all 3 days
some weeks 2 days
some weeks 1 day

although this suits me have some days off - especially fridays I realise I will be loosing money and wondered if anyone has a good plan, I dont want to charge for 3 days every week/or retaner as it seems a bit harsh

would appreciate ideas that have worked

thanks
Mabes

Milli147
16-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Will be roughly equal amounts of each? (if that makes sense)
You could average it out over the year, and charge a weekly rate thats the same each week, rather than give her an hourly rate that she could potentially quibble over.
Are you sure you want to hold all three days for her?

Goatgirl
16-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi :),
For me it mainly depends on what I can afford and bearing in mind that my circumstances might change in due course, so not to create a situation I will be stuck with and resent in the future.

There's also local childminders and how they would charge to bear in mind...

DO you know what times the parent would need yet?

I have a family currently whose 2 schoolies I have from 7.30 till 9 and whose 8 month old I have from 7.30 till 3pm. Mum's hours may change soon so she asked me to work out a price for alternate weeks at current arrangement; plus the ones inbetween with the schoolies coming as normal before school, then all 3 from 3 till 5pm.

The full price for all 3 children for all possible hours came to over £300 (currently a bit under £200), but having quieter days would be ok for me as I am full and have an extra nder 5 once a week plus 3 of my before schoolies are 8+ so out of my numbers. I would also like to keep the early finish I currently have and which would continue on alternate weeks... so I said I'd charge for actual hours contracted, plus a 50% retainer during the day for the baby. No charge for the alternate weeks 'after 3pm' charges.
I'd make an extra £100 ish a month and the mum would still be able to see a hefty discount on paper :thumbsup:

I'd look at the maxium, then work out a modest discount that doesn't leave you tied into an arrangement that's not worth your while as other mindees come along. Good luck :thumbsup:

Let us know what happens :)

best wishes,
Wendy :)

mabel
16-03-2012, 05:21 PM
yes generally its 2 days a week, the little boy is brain damaged, so I would quite like to care for him and his special needs, mum ans dad are lovely too, but I know I need my business head on to sort out this financially !

mabel
16-03-2012, 05:34 PM
yes generally its 2 days a week, the little boy is brain damaged, so I would quite like to care for him and his special needs, mum ans dad are lovely too, but I know I need my business head on to sort out this financially !

TinyTinker
16-03-2012, 07:22 PM
I think I would charge for 2 days a week every week which would even out the weeks he would come 1 day and 3 days. and easy to keep track on and invoice for.:)