PDA

View Full Version : What would help me aim for outstanding ofsted grade

Rachael's stars
15-03-2012, 11:23 PM
hi, im currently setting everything up to become a childminder and cant wait to get started iv got pretty much all my policies and procedures done, most of my ra's (some cant be done yet as im waiting to move house first) and have got pretty much all my equipment( having 2 son's i really should buy some pretty girls things lol) im a bit worried that im not going to have very good learning journeys as i dont have a blank observation sheet and cant get my head around the best and easiest way to set these up?

could anyone also suggest any extra things i can do to impress ofsted as im hoping to aim for an outstanding grade in hope ill have a better chance of getting atleast a good, any ideas or check list's would be very very helpfull

many thanks

onceinabluemoon
16-03-2012, 07:25 AM
To get an outstanding grade you have to be outstanding. Its that simple.

If you look at ofsted's reports section you can get a feel for what they look for , look at all the different reports in your area, see what they like and what they don't.

Basically you have to meet and exceed the standards. Its hard work, but if you start off right its really easy to keep up with it. Its the people who only bother when their inspection is looming that find it most difficult.

There are lots of observation forms freely available online, just google "EYFS observation sheet", look at the images and pick what you like (making sure it isn't copy rite of course. Also google a site called Bromley childminding association, they have oodles of stuff to download but make sure you personalise it as ofsted are well aware of this site and you won't get brownie pints for plagiarism. (The ones I used from there are changed and on the footnote say "adapted from BCMA" which they ask you to do anyway.

Good luck, I like your attitude, you'll do well if you keep it up. :)

miffy
16-03-2012, 07:36 AM
There are some observation sheets in the free resources section (free downloads) at the top of the forum.

Have you read the booklet "A passion to be outstanding" (also in free resources) as this gives some examples of what inspectors considered to be outstanding practice.

Good luck

Miffy xx

Rachael's stars
16-03-2012, 03:04 PM
brill thanks for the advice, ill get reading "a passion to be outstanding" and search some observation forms, its going to be alot of work but im going to take my time and only register when i think im ready as i dont want to be throwing this buisness together and find its not that good.

Mrs.L.C
16-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I thinks its all about trial and error. I don't think I have a child in our care whos learning journals are the same as another child's as I play around with the lay outs and the observation sheets. I think I have finally found something I like just in time for the change in September lol

I thinks its one of those things that you learn as you go along. Iv been minding for over 8 years now and im still developing my setting, which is not a bad thing as it shows that we adapt our setting depending on what children we have and Im always buying news things based on the childrens interests.

Good luck with setting up and enjoy it. Its got to be one of most rewarding jobs going

WibbleWobble
16-03-2012, 03:33 PM
brill thanks for the advice, ill get reading "a passion to be outstanding" and search some observation forms, its going to be alot of work but im going to take my time and only register when i think im ready as i dont want to be throwing this buisness together and find its not that good.

you do realise you are not graded when ofsted do their registration visit? if you do then i apologise.

mandy xxxxxx

MAWI
16-03-2012, 03:52 PM
I agree with onceinabluemoon, You have to be outstanding to get outstanding. I would suggest it would be a bit difficult to 'do' just before an inspection. This is because you can usually show improvement and development within your setting and your personal practice over time with evidence and experience. Having said that, there is no reason why you couldn't gain outstanding!

Also agree with Mrs L.C. I changed my EYFS paperwork several times before I was comfortable with the way The layout of my forms and my observations workd. As well as impressing Ofsted it has to actually work for you on a day to day level and you have to be be able to explain it all too if needed. They have to inspect so many varied childminders and all the paperwork will be unique so ensure you know your practice/policies inside out.

I worked my socks off about six months before my inspection up to the inspection day, ensuring every shred of RA, observation, policies, procedures etc.. We're all in place along with the evidence arising from my setting such as photos, records, learning journeys. Most importantly I found my SEF was the tool that helped with the Outstanding Grade because the inspector graded me and scrutinised everything and I mean everything I said in my SEF.

Good luck with it all:)

Rachael's stars
16-03-2012, 09:33 PM
you do realise you are not graded when ofsted do their registration visit? if you do then i apologise.

mandy xxxxxx

yeh sorry, i just want to be as prepared as i can be before they do my pre reg visit, and so when i do get registered i can spend my time perfecting things more , rather than sorting things in a rush and missing the obvious.

Rachael's stars
16-03-2012, 09:38 PM
I agree with onceinabluemoon, You have to be outstanding to get outstanding. I would suggest it would be a bit difficult to 'do' just before an inspection. This is because you can usually show improvement and development within your setting and your personal practice over time with evidence and experience. Having said that, there is no reason why you couldn't gain outstanding!

Also agree with Mrs L.C. I changed my EYFS paperwork several times before I was comfortable with the way The layout of my forms and my observations workd. As well as impressing Ofsted it has to actually work for you on a day to day level and you have to be be able to explain it all too if needed. They have to inspect so many varied childminders and all the paperwork will be unique so ensure you know your practice/policies inside out.

I worked my socks off about six months before my inspection up to the inspection day, ensuring every shred of RA, observation, policies, procedures etc.. We're all in place along with the evidence arising from my setting such as photos, records, learning journeys. Most importantly I found my SEF was the tool that helped with the Outstanding Grade because the inspector graded me and scrutinised everything and I mean everything I said in my SEF.

Good luck with it all:)

thats the part im not looking forward to doing (sef) im no good at that sort of thing :eek:

francinejayne
17-03-2012, 10:20 AM
thats the part im not looking forward to doing (sef) im no good at that sort of thing :eek:

have you considered buying Sarah's ebooks? these in themselves will not make you outstanding - however I can fully recommend them. The SEF one is invaluable, it allowed me to make sense of the blasted thing! I can also recommend the planning and observations and the learning journey ones!

good luck in your new venture!

onceinabluemoon
17-03-2012, 10:24 AM

I didn't do my SEF, I didn't understand a word of it!! Instead I reviewed myself in my diary (is review the right word? I criticised everything i did, even to saying it was pants or brilliant!!) The inspector loved it, but another might not...