PDA

View Full Version : Daughter as an assistant

childmind04
15-03-2012, 10:51 PM
I am in a pickle with what to do about 2 of my families coming back from maternity in the next couple of months, I have had the older children for 3-4 years and feel like I am having to pick or see if I can register my 17 year old and get an increase in numbers till September!

My question is has anyone managed to get an increase with a young assistant, I know she can't be left and that's not an issue, and I will get her to do first aid anyway even though I know she does not need it, she already had child protection training from college, but I am worried it will be her age :(

Any advice ;)

sarah707
16-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Assistants have to be 18 - send Ofsted an email to double check if you are unsure.

This is a useful document :D

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/factsheet-childcare-childminders-using-assistants

rickysmiths
16-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Sarah assistants don't have to be 18 I am in the process of registering my son who is 17. They only have to be 18 or over if you want them to be on their own with the children at any time.

sarah707
16-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Has it changed Ricky? I ask because when I tried to register dd at 17 I was told I had to wait until she was 18 :huh:

I have just rung to try and get it clarified and the woman got very snotty with me and pointed me to this paragraph in the Eyfs (2008) -

'Staff/volunteers/students under the age of 17 cannot count towards the ratio and should be supervised at all times. Individuals aged 17 and over who are on long-term placements may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied they are competent and responsible.'

BUT this does not mention assistants!! I wasn't asking about ratios...

And the Ofsted factsheet mentions age for the Childcare Register but not for the Eyfs.

Oh I give up with them sometimes! :D

rickysmiths
16-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Has it changed Ricky? I ask because when I tried to register dd at 17 I was told I had to wait until she was 18 :huh:

I have just rung to try and get it clarified and the woman got very snotty with me and pointed me to this paragraph in the Eyfs (2008) -

'Staff/volunteers/students under the age of 17 cannot count towards the ratio and should be supervised at all times. Individuals aged 17 and over who are on long-term placements may be included in the ratios if the provider is satisfied they are competent and responsible.'

BUT this does not mention assistants!! I wasn't asking about ratios...

And the Ofsted factsheet mentions age for the Childcare Register but not for the Eyfs.

Oh I give up with them sometimes! :D

NO sorry I kind of got mixed up no you can't increase the number of children you have until they are over 18. I didn't register that because I never go over the max 6 and have chosen not to. Too much potential hassle with planning etc. and employing an assistant. I don't have to pay dh or ds!

sarah707
16-03-2012, 01:04 PM
In other words childmind04...

It's a minefield and you should get it in writing from Ofsted before doing anything :D

childmind04
17-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks guys, rang them yesterday and yes I can register her and they emailed variation form within 5mins to reply, I actually got a lovely lady whom knew her stuff and also suggested using the bit time before she turns 18 to get her first aid done and then she can be left alone although this is not really an issue as I won't be doing school runs :)