PDA

View Full Version : Heart murmur in children

JCrakers
14-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Ive had the letter through for dd to go to see the consultant at the hospital as when we went to see the peadetrician about her headaches he noticed she had a murmur.

We have no idea if shes always had this or if it has developed at some point. Shes nearly 10.
Does anyone have any knowledge about heart murmurs or had any experience about them.
He told us not to worry but being a parent thats not in our rule book is it :rolleyes:

Katiekoo
14-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I am sorry about your dd's health problems, hope you get some more info soon.
My dd had a murmur at birth and they told us they usually disappear by the time the child is 10 weeks old and not to worry. Sure enough her valve matured at around 10 weeks and the murmur had gone.
My Mum also has one, doesn't affect her at all and she just lives with it, maybe it will have implications as she gets older - not sure.
I don't know but I imagine your dd could have had it since birth and it just wasn't picked up, in which case she's lived with it this long with no problems and any additional information at this stage will be a bonus. I hope it all turns out ok for your dd.

loocyloo
14-03-2012, 01:08 PM
i had a heart murmer as a baby/small child and at some point 'grew out' of it.

i'm fine, and always have been x

Pipsqueak
14-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Middle son - age 11 has a 'murmur' .

Its is most noticable when he is poorly - and this is when it was picked up. for many years since he was a tiny tot he gets unexplained fevers - it quite scary and its hospitalised him several times. Now we just take in our strides - however when he was 9 they picked up on this mumur.

A murmur is an irregular heartbeat and it can be caused by all sorts of things.
They have put my son's down to: being extremely fit and healthy (and very skinny) in the main and its his bodies way of fighting whatever infection is happening in his body - basically his organs are working OT.
he has not even seen a consultant.

Like you we panicked and worried for a good while, and I feared for him doing sports and the amount he does. Two years on... its rare we give it a thought. Hwoever he does say occasionally his chest really hurts.

My sister has lived with a murmur since she was tiny and she is fine too:D (not for lack of trying on my part!!!)

~Chelle~
14-03-2012, 02:32 PM
My youngest son has an "innocent murmur", they found this out when he was a baby as he has a condition called Poland Syndrome, which is where one of the muscles in the chest does not develop properly.

He had a scan done of his heart when he was 2 and they said that it was fine and he would eventually outgrow it.

He is almost 10 and they always pick up on it when he has his chest listened to.

They always say not to worry, but as a parent, that is easier said than done.

Hugs x

jane5
14-03-2012, 03:01 PM
My dd has a heart murmur and it was picked up at 9 weeks when she had whooping cough.

In laymans terms they told us there are several reasons but basically 1 kind that you can lead a normal life with and 1 kind which will affect you if you play sports and you will get out of breath easily (there are other heart problems obviously but that is a lot more complicated).

We were told not to worry because if there was a major problem she would have been too tired to feed properly and her lips would be blue and her skin grey looking.

She had to have a heart scan and they said that one of the lower chambers hadnt closed properly and the murmur sound is the sound of the blood rushing through an opening which should be closed.She had a couple of scans as she got older and although the hole didnt close completely she didnt need surgery and would live a normal life. At one time people with this condition used to carry a card with info about the condition because you had to warn the dentist and if you got any piercings because there would be a greater risk if you got any kind of blood poisoning, which caused infection near the hole in the heart but the doctors do not think there is a big risk of this these days.

It is hard not to worry but if she has had no other symptoms through out her life then it is probably the kind which she can live a normal life with.

Good luck :thumbsup:

blue bear
14-03-2012, 09:54 PM
My eldest was diagnosed with a murmur at age 8, always gets picked up when his chest is listened to, he's nearly 20 now and caused no problems.

JCrakers
15-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Thanks everyone :D

She seems fine with it and has always managed well with sprorts etc. so I will see what they say at her apointment. Thank you all for your support and info you have given.

:D

barbarella68
15-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I have a murmur, did sports etc. 44 now never bothered me.