PDA

View Full Version : New childminder getting there....

Dani Girl90
13-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Hey guys,

I am newly registered childminder and i am due my first inspection any time. i just want to make sure that i am 100% prepared and that i have everything in place. The things i have done and know need to be in place are: obs for the children, visitor book, notice board displaying certificate etc, policies, childminder insurance in place, toys and areas relating to the EYFS. I have also notified the environmental health as i know you have to if serving food. Did anyone get inspected by them and if so what was that like??

I'm after a bit of a checklist so i can compare what i have done to what i still need to do and just want to be certain i'm on the right track.
I have written up childminding agreements for parents to sign like a contract. Is that a solid way of binding families to giving notice etc or is there another way i should be doing the contract side of things?

I would really appreciate any advice you can give me. So glad i have found this forum!
Thanks in advance,
Dani

Dani Girl90
14-03-2012, 08:51 AM
any advice at all would be greatly appreciated :)

sarah707
14-03-2012, 06:11 PM
You must have a contract in place before you start working with children - if you are insured with NCMA you must use their branded contracts.

If you are insured with Morton Michel I strongly advise you to use a pack of their contracts at least to start with before you go writing anything of your own so you are properly covered if things go wrong.

Good luck with your inspection! :D

karens knippers
14-03-2012, 08:31 PM
i got inspected by local council for food .they checked to see what measures i had in place.were very friendly and quite informal and also helpful.they then visit every year and i can phone anytime i have qs

Dani Girl90
15-03-2012, 08:27 AM
thanks guys. What measures did you have in place kelly? What did they look for? I was going to go as far as getting different coloured chopping boards (for meat etc) but thought thats a bit far? Thanks again.

Dani Girl90
15-03-2012, 08:28 AM
***Karen**** sorry:blush:

Jods
15-03-2012, 09:12 AM
You need to have a level 2 food handling and hygiene certificate (there are ones you can do through this forum, mine was provided by my LA)

use this website and find the early years part if you provide meals http://www.schoolfoodtrust.org.uk/
they have two lists which are brilliant, one for code of practice and one to check you are following/providing the GG/RDA

have a flexible time table

RA everything

Fire escape plan, and a fire risk assesment, some thing like this

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corporate/wccweb.nsf/Links/2DACF47AD6AB708A8025784C00508D0A/$file/SafetyCheckList.pdf

policy and proceedures for everything, I have my welfare requirements and a secondary folder with my extra policies, if you have pets a pet folder showing vaccinations etc.

look at your resources you dont need to spend a bomb, but do you show diversity, books showing different cultures, cultural cooking untensils, dressing up, dolls, books like 'susan laughs' picked mine up brand new off Amazon for 99p and free delivery!! are you providing resources that cover the 6 areas of learning ?

LJ's show obs, evaluation links to the eyfs and individual planning I use PLODS for that

erm still thinking ..............................

start your SEF, and put down in note form everything you have needed to add/change/improve for example my book, I recored that as I did not have a resource showing diversity x

Dani Girl90
15-03-2012, 09:23 AM
wow thank you so much that really helps. I am going to start going through my checklist and make sure i cover all of this. I'm sure ill pop up with more questions- so much to think about!