PDA

View Full Version : Statutory Sick Pay?

Tweetybird
13-03-2012, 05:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm newley registered Jan 12 and was recently speaking to a friend who has been a childminder for a few years. On running through a few things with her for reassurence she mentioned statutory sick pay. She says" childminders are entitled to 5 days statutory sick pay a year" meaning parents still pay you if you are off sick up to 5 occassions for the year BUT any sickness after 5 times that will be unpaid. (Originally I was planning to say if i'm of sick, parents don't pay but if child off sick parent still need to pay)

What is you view on this? Appreciate your guidance in any way. Thanks.

tialil
13-03-2012, 07:49 AM
Sorry but parents do not have to pay us sick pay. I have heard of some childminders putting this in their contracts (thats up to you) but I never have.
If you have paid enough NI over the years and you are off for a while sick you may be entitled to ESA. Off the top of my head I can not remember how many ''waiting'' days you need to be off before you claim. I claimed it for 9 weeks a few years back.
If you do a search for Employment support allowance you will find more details.
hth :)

rickysmiths
13-03-2012, 09:02 AM
The only time I don't charge my parents is if I'm off sick.

Mouse
13-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm newley registered Jan 12 and was recently speaking to a friend who has been a childminder for a few years. On running through a few things with her for reassurence she mentioned statutory sick pay. She says" childminders are entitled to 5 days statutory sick pay a year" meaning parents still pay you if you are off sick up to 5 occassions for the year BUT any sickness after 5 times that will be unpaid. (Originally I was planning to say if i'm of sick, parents don't pay but if child off sick parent still need to pay)

What is you view on this? Appreciate your guidance in any way. Thanks.

As self-employed childminders we are not "entitled" to sick pay, in the same way we are not entitled to paid holidays! You can put it into your contract and if parents sign up to it then you can charge it, but it is not an automatic entitlement.

Tweetybird
14-03-2012, 03:36 AM
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm not in favour of charging parents if Im off sick so I don't think i'm going to take that route. I'll will have a look further as suggested just to get a more rounded view. Thanks very much for your feedback. :)