PDA

View Full Version : very strange request!!!

sunview_cm
09-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I've just had a phone call from a gentleman at 9.20 at night, telling me his wife is pregnant and due on the 12th march. He wanted to ask me if I would have his 2 yr old daughter for them while she is in labour as they have no one to have her. I was a bit taken a back as never thought I'd be asked for something like that so I asked him to ring me in the morning as I wasn't sure how it would work! I did ask him if he wanted me to meet his daughter 1st and he said no I could meet him at the hospital! I thought what a very strange request. So he's going to hand his daughter over to someone he and she has never met and for an un known period of time. I felt a bit sorry for them really so was mulling over with my hubby if I could help and what I would need to do to cover myself properly and then I realised I can't really I'm not registered for over night care so if this child is in my care and the labour goes on into the night then what and I'm full for my eyfs quota on a tues so what happens if it goes into tues and how would I charge???
Anyone else ever been asked for a request like this? What are peoples opinions please?
Emma x

tess1981
09-03-2012, 09:43 PM
something about this does not sound right....:eek:
would you hand your child over to someone you never met??? let me know jow this pan out

silvermist
09-03-2012, 09:45 PM
I think Id stay away from that one hun. Just tell him your insurance wont cover it or something. x

tess1981
09-03-2012, 09:50 PM
something about this does not sound right....:eek:
would you hand your child over to someone you never met??? let me know jow this pan out

my spelling was so bad there... meant let me know How this pans out.:o

rickysmiths
10-03-2012, 12:01 AM
No way would I collect a child I had never met from a hospital potentially in the middle of the night. Sorry I feel for him.

To even consider this I would want to meet him, his wife and the child they wanted me to care for. I would want the contract and all the permissions signed and a hefty deposit paid in cash.

Are you registered for overnight care?

I have offered to help out mindees parents in similar situations and I will be on call towards the end of April but it is very different. In both cases I had known the mindee that I would care for for years and knew where they lived felt comfortable and was trusted to be in their house with mindee or to bring mindee back to mine where we knew the mindee would be very comfortable.

miffy
10-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Very strange that they'vE not considered what they would do with their daughter until a now, just a few days before the due date.

I wouldn't be happy caring for a child I'd not met before, don't thinkmthat's fair on you or the child.

Miffy xx

sunview_cm
10-03-2012, 09:48 AM
No way would I collect a child I had never met from a hospital potentially in the middle of the night. Sorry I feel for him.

To even consider this I would want to meet him, his wife and the child they wanted me to care for. I would want the contract and all the permissions signed and a hefty deposit paid in cash.

Are you registered for overnight care?

I have offered to help out mindees parents in similar situations and I will be on call towards the end of April but it is very different. In both cases I had known the mindee that I would care for for years and knew where they lived felt comfortable and was trusted to be in their house with mindee or to bring mindee back to mine where we knew the mindee would be very comfortable.

I was considering telling him I would need to meet them first and sign a contract etc but it just wouldn't work! I am employed wed and thurs so wouldn't be able to do these days and full for under 5's most of Tues and no I'm not registered for overnight care, so can't do it anyway. I think I'll refer him to childcare.co.uk and perhaps he can find someone who is more flexible to help! but thank you all for your advice. This forum is a lifeline!
Emma x

aly
10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
It's not that strange a request really....remember he is a man :rolleyes:

theres been mums asking if theres any childcare options for when mums has baby {on netmums}....the fact he said no just pick up from hospital makes me think he is just not thinking properly and worried about child and mum etc.

I would just explain insurance reasons and legal reasons that you have to meet the family for paperwork and deposits.

Nothing strange really......now if it was someone emailing from america to have their child and will send a hefty deposit then yes I would say stay clear. :p

dette
10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I have done this before ,well similar.A collegue of one of my mindees parents were expecting number 3 baby and had a 2 and 4 year old,They knew noboby in the town as they had just moved here.parent recomended me (coz im just lovely)At the time my eldest daughter was 16 and she was going to be dispatched if anything happened at night and i was on call during the day.Ended up with 9am start(right after school run..very convenient and all over by 6 that evening.Two very very grateful parents and one lovely new baby girl :).I was heavily pregnant my self at the time and we were all keeping fingers crossed that we didnt go on the same day .

Monkey26
11-03-2012, 12:58 AM
I once had a phone call just after 10am from a lady asking if I would be able to do one off Childcare whilst she had a job interview (with a comment about if she got the job it would probably turn into regular work) ... Well anyways I had spaces at that point so I said yes but we would need to meet, do a contract, discuss payment etc to which she replied "I don't think you understand, the interview is in twenty minutes!"

Anyways mum came over, I got her to sign emergency procedures, got a contact no for her and the place of interview, permissions page and had the little girl for an hour - sweetheart she was - I wouldn't do it again but it's tough when you get put on the spot, are home and have a space!!

Never did get the child in the end... The mum did the same thing to a few other minders and didn't pay them all so I steered well clear after that one occasion!! Xx

sunview_cm
11-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I did wonder if it was a dad in panic just not thinking, but he never rang back anyway. x