PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of moving to Australia...

EmmaReed84
09-03-2012, 08:18 PM
...DH has all his Mum's side of the family living there and he has always wanted to go. He has come home tonight really looking in to it. DH is an IT Technician and Team Leader. I am a childminder (obviously) but have retail management experience.

Can anyone offer any advice whatsoever... things to think about, advice on different Visa's etc...

TIA XXX

Pipsqueak
09-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Spiders - dirty great hairy DANGEROUS spiddies

silvermist
09-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Wow! I lived in Perth, Western Australia from the ages of 5 to 11 so my memories are very child minded. My Dad's an Aussie. It is a beautiful country. You used to be able to go there to live easier if you had a trade so you and hubby will both be ok with that one. I'd be googling everything you want to know hun. What an exciting decision you have to make. Good luck with it all. :)

silvermist
09-03-2012, 08:25 PM

And goanas, we had a huge one living in a palm outside the back door. It never hurt us or caused a prob so we named it Gary!:laughing:

nikki thomson
09-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi, I have a couple of friends who have emigrated in the past couple of years over there, they love it. I know it's a very long winded process to get a visa.
If you have family already over there I'm sure that would help but I think the biggest piece of advice I could give going on what my friends did was go over there on an extended visit, they looked at houses the job market, quality of life etc and it really helped them in making there final decision.
My dh has been on about moving to new Zealand for many years initially in the new Zealand army as he's a serving British soldier and you get citizenship after I think it's 3 years.
I wouldn't mind it for a couple of years but I just could not live on the other side of the world, he's still trying to persuade me. X

Spangles
09-03-2012, 09:09 PM
My dh has been on about moving to new Zealand for many years initially in the new Zealand army as he's a serving British soldier and you get citizenship after I think it's 3 years.
I wouldn't mind it for a couple of years but I just could not live on the other side of the world, he's still trying to persuade me. X

Same for me, hubby in army and says Australian army are taking on British soldiers at moment and he wants to think about it - I'm not keen, I don't want to leave my parents, they don't have anyone else.

tulip0803
10-03-2012, 12:13 AM
My Little Brother has lived in Sydney for 12 years. He went all the way there and has met and married a girl from Essex (we are from Kent originally).

He has wanted us to go for years but MIL & FIL would never forgive us if we went.

Childminding is called Family Day Care in Australia and is registered similar to here - They are called Family Day Care Educators. (I did have a little look a couple of years back when he was pestering us to go over and kept sending us visa forms!)

Trouble
10-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I ll help you pack :D

i would love to live abroad again , my friend has just moved

you only get one life so go for it xxxx:thumbsup:

Zoomie
10-03-2012, 12:47 PM
You need to see if your hubby's job is on the skills in demand list. there is one for the whole country, but different states also have their own lists, for skills they need, and if you are on that, you can get state sponsorship.

It is very long winded.

We have looked at it and you also have to pass the IELTS test, and this has been hard. There are 4 components, listening, reading, writing and talking.

Go onto the aussie immigration website and sign up for a couple of forums.

Pipsqueak
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM
And goanas, we had a huge one living in a palm outside the back door. It never hurt us or caused a prob so we named it Gary!:laughing:

Sorry but I read that as Gonads!

I nearly wee'd myself. A gonad named Gary......:rolleyes: Gary the Gonad

Blaze
10-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I would immigrate in a heartbeat if I could (finances don't allow & my hubbies job is UK specific) :(

LOOPYLISA
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Something we will do one day, maybe not oz though :thumbsup:

Will we see you on bbc1 where they follow you out to see if you like it :laughing: cant remember what its called :idea:

Chatterbox Childcare
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I emigrated in 1982 and came back 1993. It is a great place to raise a family and in hindsight would I do it again? Yes definately. All my family are there and my DS has just gone for 4 months and told me he isn't coming back for 2 years!

Can you afford to go for a holiday and see what you think?

A friend in the Army has gone over for 5 years to train with the Aussie army and may not come back

What have you go to loose? rain, snow, football, pubs ha ha

gain - sunshine, beach, bbq's :)

The Juggler
10-03-2012, 05:20 PM
blimey Emma your life is never dull for a second, people land you with trauma to trauma ( parents and family) and then in your bid for excitement you add moving to the other side of the world into the equation :laughing::laughing::laughing:

you need help ;) I'd be having a nervous breakdown by now :laughing:

Roseolivia
10-03-2012, 05:25 PM
:laughing:

catminder
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Something we will do one day, maybe not oz though :thumbsup:

Will we see you on bbc1 where they follow you out to see if you like it :laughing: cant remember what its called :idea:

Wanted Down Under ?

EmmaReed84
10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
blimey Emma your life is never dull for a second, people land you with trauma to trauma ( parents and family) and then in your bid for excitement you add moving to the other side of the world into the equation :laughing::laughing::laughing:

you need help ;) I'd be having a nervous breakdown by now :laughing:

You mean ESCAPE :laughing: :clapping:

This is not me who started all this, it is DH. I am more than happy to go though. DH has already looked at several sitess and filled in an initial form, not sure what though. He wants to speak to some of his family in Oz but knows they will say something to his Mum or Nan and we wanted to research in to it first before telling anyone anything for certain.

I think if we are going to do it needs to be within the next 2-3 years as the kids are still young and schooling won't (hopefully) be too affected if we go then decide to come back.

And regards having a nervous breakdown the antics of Friday night's thread keep me sane! Looking at how unhinged you all are I know I good lol :laughing:

The Juggler
10-03-2012, 07:10 PM
You mean ESCAPE :laughing: :clapping:

This is not me who started all this, it is DH. I am more than happy to go though. DH has already looked at several sitess and filled in an initial form, not sure what though. He wants to speak to some of his family in Oz but knows they will say something to his Mum or Nan and we wanted to research in to it first before telling anyone anything for certain.

I think if we are going to do it needs to be within the next 2-3 years as the kids are still young and schooling won't (hopefully) be too affected if we go then decide to come back.

And regards having a nervous breakdown the antics of Friday night's thread keep me sane! Looking at how unhinged you all are I know I good lol :laughing:

go for it hon :thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
10-03-2012, 08:30 PM
go for it hon :thumbsup:

Cor Oonly been here since Novemeber and already you are trying to get rid of me lol :laughing::laughing:

silvermist
10-03-2012, 08:34 PM

PMSL!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

EmmaReed84
10-03-2012, 08:38 PM

HOW ON EARTH DID I MISS THIS?!?!?!

:laughing::laughing: Pip... what can I say... I am shocked! Where is your mind?