PDA

View Full Version : What is an appropiate age to have "THE TALK"?

EmmaReed84
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM
This one is for you Angel, told you I had loads of questions lol :laughing:

DS is 6 and he is very inquizitive (sp?) and very bright. Today his first tooth fell out :clapping: this got him asking questions about the body, then said "How did god make us?" and I said god didn't make us and he said "So how did I get here then?" :eek: :panic: "erm....er.....welll.....somethings are better explaining when you are abit older and this is one of them".... "Ok Mum!... PHEW.

I know if I was to tell him it would obviously be age appropiate but I don't think he is ready to hear it as he has little self control when it comes to his knowledge and heaven knows what he would come out with at school :rolleyes:

At what age do you think it is acceptable to have the talk? I don't want him to find out in the playground.

Milli147
07-03-2012, 04:15 PM
My ds has been asking questions and coming out with some funny things lately. He is 9 and a half, one of the oldest in his yr4.
My dd was around the same age when I talked to her, but she was in yr5, iyswim and I think that makes a difference. I would be very careful what I told a 6yr old as apart from wanting to keep that sweet innocence there will be children a lot younger than him who will be freaked to hear what he has to say!
Having said that, once they go to junior school they do seem to hear a lot of misinformation in the playground from the older ones!
I would just keep it age appropriate, if you feel you need to say anything more.

EmmaReed84
07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Well so far he is happy with that reason he is too young.... last year he asked how babies came out so I told him sometimes doctors do an operation to get them out, then he asked what about other times so again I told him he didn't need to know at his age and left it at that.

I don't actually want to tell, like you say at this age I love his innocence. I would have never gone in to detail either. Would Just said two people who love each other very very much have a "special cuddle" :laughing:

When the time IS right... WHAT would you say lol

mama2three
07-03-2012, 04:27 PM
i think any age where they ask..be honest..but the answer will be more detailed the older they are.
Ds is 51/2 and knows about a special cuddle , egg and sperm ...
This book is aimed at children around 5-7 without being explicit , i was lucky to find it in a charity shop..
http://www.amazon.com/Grow-Lift-Flap-Body-Book/dp/0812059360 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0812059360/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=childminding-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0812059360)

Milli147
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
With my daughter I got a couple of books suitable for her age, and we looked at them together, and I answered her questions honestly. She is very emotionally mature and took it all in her stride. Then about 6 months later I gave her a book especially for girls. When they did sex ed in yr6 she said it was really boring cos she knew it all. Lol you can't win!

I will do the same with my son, but he is not ready yet, think it's just boys but he's still very immature so I will wait. Books definitely help because it gives you something to discuss, rather than just sitting down and randomly blurting out a load of facts!

LOOPYLISA
07-03-2012, 04:52 PM
My dd now 14 didnt really ask, she started her periods at 9 and a bit and we bought her a book all about periods/body etc so she read it in there, plus they did sex ed in year 6 just before she went up to high school :thumbsup:

Kiddleywinks
07-03-2012, 06:22 PM
My DD firmly had her childhood bubble burst in year 6
- found out the tooth fairy wasn't real,

- nor was Father Xmas,

- and where babies REALLY came from

all in the same week :(

I hate that week with a vengeance :laughing:

singingcactus
07-03-2012, 07:23 PM
If they can ask the question, they can hear the answer! Simple :) Use appropriate words, keep it simple and follow their lead.

mushpea
07-03-2012, 08:35 PM
My daughter was 2.5yrs old in the bath with her brother when she pointed at him and then looked at her self then back at him and said whats that??:laughing: I told her thats for boys but ever since I have answered any of their questions honestly , if they are old enough to ask the questions then I think they are old enough to know the answers.
My daughter was 10 and a half when she started her periods and we had the whole conversation, she also had sex ed in year 6 and I didnt want her going to high school with out knowing and being the only child that didnt .
my son is now 11yrs and we having broached it with him and he hasnt asked but we need to talk to him as he will have the talk at the end of this school year plus he starts high school september but he is imature and I'm not sure how he will deal with it but again he needs to know before high school .

mr man
07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
ive just done 'the talk' with my daughter who is 10 next month.

i got a couple of books from waterstones ( really good ones ) and we chatted about things she'd heard at school.
i did say to her, you can always come and ask me anything ( which she does ) even if its things people have said to see if its true. kinder of thing.
she was happy with this, and says her books are great.

what did make me laugh thou was, her reaction to the ACT.
" did you let daddy do that" :eek: was her face too. :laughing:

and also a couple of days later she said
"so grandad did that to nanna :eek: 4 times but they have five children but thats cause N and A are twins"

this then explained its not only to make babies its what adults who love each other do sometimes aswell. no more was said for now :phew:

they are doing this subject this term yr 5 .

The Juggler
07-03-2012, 10:03 PM
our children do sex ed in y4 so it was then really. DD was in Y3 though and freaking about stuff y6 boys were saying to her (scary stories about babies and childbirth!) so we had to get her a book, discuss it and talk about condoms at a very young age so she knew she had control over whether to have a baby or not.

It's time when they are asking, just tailor the info to their age :clapping: DK do a good book for very young ones 'why is mummies tummy so big'

MAWI
07-03-2012, 10:29 PM
I think I used the book 'Mummy laid an Egg' by Babette Cole with my daughters, along with some awkward questions, lol.