PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules around keeping paperwork etc safe?

jw19nr
28-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Hello. Just sorting paperwork out today and wondering what the rules are about keeping it safe? Does it have to be locked in a filling cabinet? I have a filling cabinet but I got it second hand a few years ago and I don't have the key. It is kept upstairs so out of sight etc. My bathroom is downstairs so no visitors go up there, but I am hoping to register my upstairs. Would this be acceptable or do I need a new filling cabinet?

deeb66
28-05-2008, 04:38 PM
I keep all my paperwork in my bedroom which means that it is off limits to all visitors to the house!

I do not lock it all up as I explained that the only people who would have access is my partner and son and to be quite honest they really wouldn't be interested in looking at it.

I was inspected at the end of January this year and my Inspector was happy with my reply........

I do however think that I had a sensible Inspector and that she could see sense with what I was saying.

As we all know different Inspectors have different ideas and what is acceptable to one might not be acceptable to another.

I do know that some other members keep what is considered as sensitive information (contracts and parents personal details etc) in a locked briefcase which is kept tucked away.

HTH

katickles
28-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Mine are all kept in a filing cabinet in the office - but it does have the lock. Could you maybe get a small padlock type thing on it?

:)

Pipsqueak
28-05-2008, 06:12 PM
The storage of written documentation - refer to Standard 14 (england) and the Data Protection Act.

It is recommended that you keep information in a locked place not accessible to anyone else, if you have info on your pc (data, pix) that it cannot be breached by anyone else etc.