PDA

View Full Version : Inspection looming...............

loopy lou
07-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi.
Have gone through some of the posts regsrding Risk Assessments and have noticed some are rather old. I have been using the Bromley one as a guide each day and have just been ticking them off. I got it laminated and use a washable pen to tick. Is this still ok?

Need to update my termly risk assesment form in depth :mad:

As for inspection, this is my check list:
Policies and procedure file
Obs
Scrapbooks, termly reports etc
All permission slips signed
First Aid Box up to date (Curtesy of £1 shop for some bandages)
Children have seperate towel
Whats the rule on fire blankets, Fireman told me just to get out and not use!

loopy lou
08-03-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm gonna stick with the Bromley daily risk assessment sheet that I already have in place.
Have looked at the Glos one and will use a 6 week more in depth assessment. I look after teachers little ones so all paper work is done termly and shared with the parents.
I got myself in a real flap yesterday and posted the above thread, but since looking at all the paperwork i have spent last night and this morning organising it better.
i found a great little Visitor sheet to print off to put in a folder, would like to upload it on here but not sure how to do it. will try later.
Can I please though ask again, what is the rules on fire blankets. I have one on a wall in the cupboard under the stairs, do they have to be displayed in the kitchen, apologies , but I have been told lots of different advice.

miffy
08-03-2012, 11:17 AM
There aren't any rules about fire blankets as far as I know. It's up to you to show Ofsted how you keep children safe in the event of a fire - a fire blanket could be part of the equipment you have in place. If you've been advised not to use one then you could write that in your RA and say what you would do instead.

Miffy xx

sarah707
08-03-2012, 11:19 AM
The Eyfs (2008) says -

'Providers must have appropriate fire detection and control equipment (for example, fire alarms, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers and fire blankets) which are in working order.'

However it does not say you have to use them!

If your fire officer told you to get out then you should have that documented somewhere.

hth :D

rickysmiths
08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna stick with the Bromley daily risk assessment sheet that I already have in place.
Have looked at the Glos one and will use a 6 week more in depth assessment. I look after teachers little ones so all paper work is done termly and shared with the parents.
I got myself in a real flap yesterday and posted the above thread, but since looking at all the paperwork i have spent last night and this morning organising it better.
i found a great little Visitor sheet to print off to put in a folder, would like to upload it on here but not sure how to do it. will try later.
Can I please though ask again, what is the rules on fire blankets. I have one on a wall in the cupboard under the stairs, do they have to be displayed in the kitchen, apologies , but I have been told lots of different advice.

If you have a Fire Blanket it must be in an appropriate place to be able to use it. That would not be on the wall in the cupboard under the stairs. The most likely place you would use it is in the kitchen and so it should be mounted on the wall in a position when you can pull the tabs to release the blanket. Just the same way that your Smoke detectors have to be in the correct position.

I have had a Fire Blanket in my kitchen for over 35 years because I ran a Catering Business and then went into childminding. I would never ever use it though! My first priority with minded children in the house is to get out. Nothing else, you can replace a building and the things in it but you can't replace a life. I usually have at least 3 or 4 under 3s in the house so it would be incredibly dangerous to try and fight a fire.

When I had a Home Safety Check done last year and the one before the resounding advise was to get out if you can. Leave the fire fighting to the professionals. If you can barricade yourself in one room at the front of the house if possible, stuff blankets or similar under the door to stop smoke and wait for the fire brigade to arrive and get you out safely. Never attempt to get out of a first floor window, DON'T throw a mattress out and try to jump on it!!! (Ofsted told me to do this from the first floor of my house 3 inspections ago :panic:) I was told with the doors we have that we would have about an hour which was more than enough for them to get to us. The reckoned 3-5mins on a good day 10mins on a bad one.

You should not have fire extinguishers unless you have been properly trained to use them. They can be very dangerous and cause nasty injuries.

There is also no requirement to have a Visitors Log/Book. Ask yourself why you need one? What purpose does it serve? I have never had one and Ofsted can't challenge you because it is not a requirement to have one. It is just more paperwork.

Good Luck i'm sure all will go well.

loopy lou
08-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Hi.
Thanks for that , will re think location of fire Blanket, although the cupboard is directly by kitchen, it was ok for last inspection but things change.
Good idea about putting Fire Safety officers comments in RA. I too would never use the fire blanket either, we have a fire drill every 3 months, so the children are great knowing what they have to do. Everything else is in place and has been for some time. Just incredible how quick the 3 years have gone!!
Thanks again, this is such a great site. x

childmind04
09-03-2012, 12:57 PM
My fire blanket came in very useful a few months back when my shower caught fire, thankfully not in minding hours, my son was able to run downstairs and get it off wall and we saved what could have been a very big problem, the fire was very small but I would never tackle anything bigger with one :panic: I renewd it straight away just incase ;)