PDA

View Full Version : Do all prospective parents get a copy of policies?

jw19nr
28-05-2008, 01:32 PM
Hello. Just wondering about policies. Do you just show the parents when they visit or do they keep a copy at home?

Ie do you make up packs to give potential parents, or just make up a nice folder of policies for them to look through when they come to visit?

Spangles
28-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I have my policies in my portfolio which I give to parents to look at whilst they are here. I also briefly talk through the main ones.

They get a copy of about 5 of the most important ones in precis form in the welcome pack that I give them to take home.

Personally, I don't give a complete set until they have signed up and the child has started.

hello kitty
28-05-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm the same as Lorri. I give a few out at the initial interview stage and then when they sign up I give a complete portfolio.

charleyfarley
28-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I give them a set to look through whilst here visiting but they don't get a copy to keep till they've signed up.

Carol xx

RedDragon
28-05-2008, 07:57 PM
I keep a folder of them all in the hallway and also have them available online for them to view. I also give them (and keep a copy) of any that need to be signed.

nannan
28-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I also show new parents my policies in a folder when they visit and give them a welcome pack with the policies in a shorterned version. I then give them a full copy of my policies when they sign the contacts as I also give them forms to say they have read and agree with my policies.:)

deb24
28-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Do you still give policies to them if only have children in sch hols?

miffy
28-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Do you still give policies to them if only have children in sch hols?

I would do yes - they still need to know the "rules" of your business.

miffy xx

susi513
29-05-2008, 07:16 AM
I have all my policies in a handbook which I give out at interview. With an application form at the back to return with their deposit if they want to apply for a place.

Obviously in the minority here! It does cost me - for my ink/paper and time printing everything up. But it seems to impress parents because they don't get anything like it from others they've visited. It makes it quite clear how I run my business so they should know exactly what they're signing up to.

I have asked parents to return the book if they don't sign up with me. Only one has so far but the majority of people who visit me sign up. But its still a cost, so I've brought in a £20 registration fee for those who only want ad-hoc care to cover the admin. I know a few people are now charging a registration/joining fee for everyone but I don't charge it to those who are paying me a months deposit.

I don't know how to lock files so they can't be edited otherwise I'd email them out to cut costs a bit. I'm just updating mine to mention EYFS so will have to give them out to all existing parents. There's a line in my contracts that says the parents have received a copy of the handbook dated x and they understand and agree to its terms.

Mollymop
29-05-2008, 07:28 AM
I keep my policies at home and get the parents to either take them away to look at or if they don't want to to look at when they want to. I get them to sign to say that they know they policies are available for them to see when they wish.
I give out a parent pack which highlights most of the procedures etc for them to take away.

Tily Bud
29-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Ive just started to give out copies of all my policies to parents to keep, they then sign to say they have read, understood and agree with them x

Before that parents used to just have a quick look through x

Mrs M
31-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Love what Susi513 does.
I have a welcome pack which includes a covering letter explaining a bit about me, my family, the setting and my fees and then all my policies, permission forms and a signature form at the back listing all the policies and the parents are signing to say that they have read them and they agree with them. I give these out at the interview stage so that parents don't feel rushed to read them. So far, parents have been impressed by this as they can take them home and read them at their leisure. It is something that other childminders in my area don't seem to offer. I have also sent the welcome pack in the post when people have enquired about my service.
I do think that parents like organised childminders who come across not only as lovely people who are loving and caring towards children but who have good business sense.

polobear1970
31-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all you ideas, I was thinking about putting a welcome pack together, but wasn't really sure of what to put into it

Lisa

brillminder
31-05-2008, 04:29 PM
hi welcome packs are a good idea when all sortiing contracts etc