PDA

View Full Version : Confused

scoobydoo1
06-03-2012, 02:46 PM
I am either stupid or confused one or the other.
I am getting things ready for when I start childminding and am confused on Learning journeys and that. I was thinking of keeping a childs scrapbook and then their Learning journey seperate, in the LJ I am going to keep theira obs and photos of things that they have done and in that will keep the daily diaries.

Can anyone help, is this right or if not, could you please tell me where I am going wrong. I just want to get prepared as much as I can.

Any replys would be great

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 03:00 PM
I am still finding my way, but my scrapbook is the LJ. I have photos, written obs, links to EYFS, ideas for future play and notes on little post its, assessments etc all in chronological order. So anyone can look through and what I did and why, where the child is, what they did etc.

My planning is in a seperate folder, it has no names but children are indicated by initial so I dont have to print loads of weekly plans.

sillybeans
06-03-2012, 03:28 PM
I have a celebration of acheivement scrap book and a learning journal. Personally as a parent, after my own LO had grown older I wouldn't keep observation sheets and other papwork, I would however want to keep photo's etc. I spoke to friends before i started and they said the same.

Therefore I decided to do 2 folders;
1. Learning Journal; Obs (inc. some photo's and work), assessments, tracking, individual planning etc
2. COA scrap book - lots of photo's of everyday play and outings, pics of artwork they have taken home or is in their learning journal, artwork etc

Both will go with them when they leave me. Works for me :)

rosebud
06-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Your scrapbook can be your learning journey, there is no need to do two things and in fact a scrapbook is usually easier for children to handle so that they can look at their photos and artwork and reflect on their own learning. (good practise) I use A4 looseleaf folders as want everything in one place and the children love looking through them but the pages aren't as easy to turn, this is the system that works best for me though.
My advice to any new childminder is to work at finding ways of minimising the paperwork, you don't need reams of it just enough to show how you move children on to the next stage in their development.

sarah707
06-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I would suggest one file per child or the paper you collect will be huge!! :D

scoobydoo1
08-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Thank you all, thats been a great help.