PDA

View Full Version : Dyslexia - where do you start?

clorogue
06-03-2012, 12:22 PM
A mum I know's son may have dyslexia, he is 9. The school thinks he has - but the school can't offer him the help as he has to be to be assessed independently I believe, costing about £800. Is there any other way she can move forward or what help is there out there. Just drawing on your experiences - thanks!

FussyElmo
06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
thats rubbish the school is just trying to save money - infact our school wont accept independent assessments.

Tell her to contact the dyslexia assosication for more help and advice

http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/

Pipsqueak
06-03-2012, 01:15 PM
A mum I know's son may have dyslexia, he is 9. The school thinks he has - but the school can't offer him the help as he has to be to be assessed independently I believe, costing about £800. Is there any other way she can move forward or what help is there out there. Just drawing on your experiences - thanks!

What do you mean the school cannot offer him help? the school are duty bound to offer him help
and as for having to HAVE to have him independently assessed - poppycock - the school can and should be having him assessed.

You need to get your research head on and fight fight fight. go and see the Senco - research about SEN (The SEN Code of Practice is an excellent place to start) and the schools own SEN policy.

Get in contact with your local dyslexia Action group (google it) as well they will give you great support

clorogue
09-03-2012, 08:31 PM
THank you so much, so helpful:thumbsup:

mamma_mia
12-03-2012, 11:53 PM
my daughter is dyslexic was refered and diagnosed through school at 11 yrs old

sarah32
13-03-2012, 07:42 AM
my daughter is dyslexic was refered and diagnosed through school at 11 yrs old

I had brought it up with her primary school but they werent interested saying she was too young although she has all the signs when I researched it.

My daughter moved to girls school in September 2011, talked to the SENCO lady straight away and she said she would be monitored. Within a month they agreed to test her and shes going through the process now.:)

dont know if its maybe primary schools that have a problem with it??:mad: