PDA

View Full Version : Stacey Solomon smoking while pregnant

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2109979/Stacey-Solomon-7-months-pregnant-caught-smoking-4-times-2-hours.html

Before I was pregnant I was a terrible smoker... at least 20 a day :blush:

My pregnancy was not planned I was only 20 (almost 21) and only been with DH for 6 months at the time. I admit I did smoke in the beginning but only the first week, then once the reality sunk in I quit... Stopped, totally!

I did everything I could to ensure a healthy baby, I looked after myself, didn't drink, stopped smoking, ate healthy yet was so ill and in and out of hospital. I would see these pregnant ladies standiing outside chuffing away and I would feel so much resentment... not because I wanted a smoke, but because I was doing all I could and failing, and these ladies were just seeming not to care (I obviously know they did, but I couldn't help how I felt)

It is so sad, I understand what the doc has said, it is much more stressful to quit and have heard it before, however my doc out and out told me to stop, so I did.

rickysmiths
06-03-2012, 09:09 AM
I know this won't be popular but I think we all have to make our own choices and use all the information available to us in making them. However we have to accept and respect that we will not all make the same choices.

People would be horrified probably, but when I was pregnant (20 years ago)the advise was to drink a small stout each day (Guinness or similar) because it was a good source of iron. I still believe that as long as you are fit and well the occasional glass of wine or similar is not going to harm the baby at all, its a question of being sensible.

I have never smoked so I can't imagine what it must be like to try and give up.

Angela234
06-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I smoked before i was pregnant but after a couple of weeks the smeel of cigs made me feel sick so it was easy not to smoke but i started again after babies were born all the cravings came back i did pack in completely after my second child my children were my reason.

Its not easy

QualityCare
06-03-2012, 09:35 AM
I know this won't be popular but I think we all have to make our own choices and use all the information available to us in making them. However we have to accept and respect that we will not all make the same choices.

People would be horrified probably, but when I was pregnant (20 years ago)the advise was to drink a small stout each day (Guinness or similar) because it was a good source of iron. I still believe that as long as you are fit and well the occasional glass of wine or similar is not going to harm the baby at all, its a question of being sensible.

I have never smoked so I can't imagine what it must be like to try and give up.

I agree it doesn't make her a worse/different person just because she couldn't stop smoking. when my sister gave birth 25yrs ago she was given a bottle of stout on the maternity ward every day as she had a low iron count, 10yrs later l was just given iron tablets.

LOOPYLISA
06-03-2012, 09:36 AM
Sorry i have no sympathy, but i can also see the other side of the story that it must be really hard to give up :thumbsup:

My dad is a smoke has emphisemia (sp?) asthma, had 2 holes in his lungs and rushed into hospital for a op to repair them :rolleyes: my nan died of smoking related problems in the end :(

I do know its hard but also really makes me cross, can you tell im anti smoking :angry:

rickysmiths
06-03-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree it doesn't make her a worse/different person just because she couldn't stop smoking. when my sister gave birth 25yrs ago she was given a bottle of stout on the maternity ward every day as she had a low iron count, 10yrs later l was just given iron tablets.

Oh I was given iron tablets as well!!!

~Chelle~
06-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I am sorry but in this day and age, there is so much help out there to help people quit, that there is no excuse really!

My grandad smoked for 40 years, had ONE lot of acupuncture and did not smoke at all after that.

If you can't give up smoking for your unborn child, then you never will. If you really want to give up, then you can.

I also HATE seeing people smoking in cars with children :angry:

LOOPYLISA
06-03-2012, 10:06 AM
I am sorry but in this day and age, there is so much help out there to help people quit, that there is no excuse really!

My grandad smoked for 40 years, had ONE lot of acupuncture and did not smoke at all after that.

If you can't give up smoking for your unborn child, then you never will. If you really want to give up, then you can.

You CAN do it Chelle i must admit, Dave smoked for 20 years + got very ill and doctor told him to stop and he did :rolleyes:

~Chelle~
06-03-2012, 10:08 AM
You CAN do it Chelle i must admit, Dave smoked for 20 years + got very ill and doctor told him to stop and he did :rolleyes:

:thumbsup: xx

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 10:11 AM
DH struggled quitting for ages he tried the gum, the plastic thing, patches and loads of other things, but he just couldn't quite crack it.

His step dad had been smoking since he was 10 :eek: and was a very heavy smoker, he went to the doctors in October and was given a course of tablets and quit... he hasn't touched on since :clapping: 3 weeks later DH went to the docs and went on the same course... he has had two slip ups when out drinking with his uncle who smoked... other than that he has done wonderfully :clapping:

It can be done, a lot of ads say "requires will power" how much more will power do you need than your unborn child?

karen m
06-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Well i cannot stand smoking pregnant or not ,BUT everyone is entitled to there choice, i have 2 step daughters who both smoke and are pregnant,1 has been given patches to try and stop but they made her ill so trying on her own now other 1 just refuses to give up makes me so angry

jane5
06-03-2012, 11:49 AM
I smoked in the 80's with 3 of my pregnancies but in those days there was a smoking room on every maternity ward and the midwives told us we would have small babies if we carried on smoking................er yes please I want to give birth to a small baby not a big one................

In the 90's with pregnancy 4 I gave up the day I found out I was pregnant because we were much more educated on the dangers.

I think it is wrong to smoke whilst pregnant and we should never condone it but I understand how difficult it is to stop.
Stacey will be embarrassed now that she has been found out and lets hope this gives her that final push to stop

Mouse
06-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I hate smoking and I hate to see pregnant women smoking, people smoking while they're pushing a pram, when they're in the car with children etc.

But I do think it is very unfair for everyone to be having such a go at this woman. It's great that a lot of woman do manage to stop smoking when they're pregnant. Unfortunately it's not that easy for everyone. I do think it's right that she has been removed as the 'face' for some advertising campaigns, but I don't think there should be so much critisism aimed at her.

PixiePetal
06-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I hate smoking and I hate to see pregnant women smoking, people smoking while they're pushing a pram, when they're in the car with children etc.

But I do think it is very unfair for everyone to be having such a go at this woman. It's great that a lot of woman do manage to stop smoking when they're pregnant. Unfortunately it's not that easy for everyone. I do think it's right that she has been removed as the 'face' for some advertising campaigns, but I don't think there should be so much critisism aimed at her.

I agree, she has said she had cut down and really trying. Never been a smoker but I imagine it is not easy to quit - I have a smoker for a DH :rolleyes: - She is obviously aware of dangers and I agree that her face should be removed from certain ad campaigns but give her a break. She is only human and by no means the only smoking mum to be - I see plenty of pregnant ladies (mostly younger ones) in my local town

Mollymop
06-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I smoked in the first few weeks of my first child then quit as soon as I found out I was preggers - it helped that being preggers made me hate the tast/smell of a ciggie. I foolishly started smking again when he was 1 year old :panic: when I had PND (thought smoking would help my anxiety!)

With 2nd baby (5 years later) I smoked all the way through:blush: It was too difficult to quit and it didn't help that I had a very stressful job back then. I was ashamed to go have a smoke at work and get funny looks cos I was preggers but i just could not quit:rolleyes: That was over 8 years ago now.

I quit smoking for good 2 years ago this June. I hate seeing pregnant people smoke but sometimes it is very difficult, so I try not to judge. x

sonyach
06-03-2012, 12:34 PM
It makes me so sad seeing pregnant women smoking they know it's not good for the baby and young teenagers. I grew up with parents that were heavy smokers I suffered from asthma and was bullied because I absolutely reeked of smoke (never told my parents that though:blush:). Once I moved out my health problems cleared up. Just over 3 years ago my dad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer he suffered for 6 weeks before sadly passing away, the day after he was diagnosed he stoppped smoking unfortunately to late for him though. He had smoked since the age of 11 and passed away when he was 65. Quitting for him made no difference to his survival but he wanted to show he could do it, his big regret was not doing it sooner!!

Playmate
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
I'm an ex smoker, gave up during my 1st preganacy but started again after a miscarraige shortly before falling pregnant with my middle dd. At 7 weeks pregnant, my 1st husband decided he didn't want to be a father again, so upped and left :eek: needless to say I carried on smoking :panic: I gave up again and haven't smoked since falling pregnant with 3rd dd 12 years ago(after remarrying :D). Although I hated the fact that I smoked during middle pregnancy and hate to see this in others, my middle dd is the healthiest of all my children and was my only normal quick deleivery :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
06-03-2012, 01:53 PM
It makes me so sad seeing pregnant women smoking they know it's not good for the baby and young teenagers. I grew up with parents that were heavy smokers I suffered from asthma and was bullied because I absolutely reeked of smoke (never told my parents that though:blush:). Once I moved out my health problems cleared up. Just over 3 years ago my dad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer he suffered for 6 weeks before sadly passing away, the day after he was diagnosed he stoppped smoking unfortunately to late for him though. He had smoked since the age of 11 and passed away when he was 65. Quitting for him made no difference to his survival but he wanted to show he could do it, his big regret was not doing it sooner!!

I can see this happening with my dad as it did my nan in the end, when will people learn :rolleyes:

mandy moo
06-03-2012, 08:10 PM

Sorry, dont agree with that.
I smoked throughout my 1st pregnacy, not a fact Im proud of belive me.
However I gave up the day after he was born, simply as he was in SCBU for 8 days with Jaundice.
So it can be done and its 13 1/2 years now.

aly
06-03-2012, 09:28 PM
She shouldnt be made to fell she HAS to do it, she has to do it for herself....

I smoked from when I was about 13/14 until I was pg with my eldest {now 10} I was early in pg wen I gave up and I never went back to it, cant stand it even now...my mum smokes and she tries to hide it but being an ex-smoker I smell it more than before.!

I disagree sayign it's an easy thing to give up...it's not it is hard I did do it but not everyone can....

She has to do it for herself.

Blaze
06-03-2012, 09:32 PM
I think the stress & upset she's feeling / going to feel for the rest of her pregnancy due to the pressure & comments will be more harmful for her unborn baby then the few ciggs she was (is) having a day would have done!
:(

aly
06-03-2012, 09:40 PM
I think the stress & upset she's feeling / going to feel for the rest of her pregnancy due to the pressure & comments will be more harmful for her unborn baby then the few ciggs she was (is) having a day would have done!
:(
I totally agree....

JCrakers
07-03-2012, 10:18 AM
Im very much an 'each to their own' type of person :D

I didnt smoke,drink and looked after myself very well (other than the huge amounts of doughnuts I ate with my second :angry:)

Everyone is entitled to make their own decisions so if mums decide to smoke whilst pregnant even with all the help, support and knowledge that is does damage your unborn baby than thats their choice and they must live with the consequenses if any.
There is so much knowledge nowadays that smoking does kill you in the end but pepole still do it. I have educated my own two children so hopefully the decidions they make will be the correct ones...hopefully