PDA

View Full Version : Advice please - scarlet fever? or just a cold?

Crraziegirl
05-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Hi,

I mind 3 children from one family (#1 who is 9, #2 who is 5, #3 who is 2) mindee #2 has suspected scarlet fever, he has been swabbed and we will get results on friday. Both #2 and #3 had high temps on Sat and then #2's symptoms developed further. #3's temp has returned to normal but he has cold like symptoms. Mum is wanting to know if I will look after #3 tomorrow but I am unsure, I have kids of my own and also mind another 2 year old from another family.

There seems to be no clear guidance on what to do. What do you think?

The Juggler
05-03-2012, 10:18 PM
there are some nasty viruses going about at the moment. in the last 3 years I've never seen my mindees (or their parents) get so sick. high fevers, coughs and cold like symptoms :panic:

scarlet fever is typical by the incredibly sore throat, raging temps and usually the red patches that appear on the face and body. If these symptoms are not present its unlikely its SF. I'd accept them back if they are well in themselves but it could be argued that if they've been swabbed you won't accept them back until doc/tests have given you the all clear. What made them think it was SF?

Crraziegirl
05-03-2012, 10:47 PM
The Dr diagnosed child#2 with SF. He has the rash and typical red face etc, child #3 hasn't been to see the dr and mum hasn't been giving a strict eye to him as dealing more with #2. I asked for temp readings on #3 before he could come today and she kept him off with no info about temp etc. but this evening asked if he can come tomorrow saying he has no temp now. I am just concerned as it can take up to 4 days for all the symptoms to develop. Am I wrong to let him come? or is it wrong to risk it and potentially spread the infection of SF?

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 06:18 AM
This is a tough one, however I would be thinking the same as Juggler. Why did the doctor swab them? There must have been enough concern. I would be saying that sorry but the doors are closed until the results are back, better to be safe than sorry.

Would rather close and the child be ok than take a child with SF and cause it to go round your setting and family.

rickysmiths
06-03-2012, 09:42 AM
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infecti...let_fever.html

There is some information here. Be aware that although a sore throat is a very typical symptom you can have Scarlet fever without having a sore throat.

I would ring Ofsted for advise. You will have to ring them if the child is diagnosed with Scarlet Fever because it is a Notifiable Disease.

I would ask if they advise excluding all the family until a clear diagnosis is made or if they are happy for you to continue to care for the well children.

It might be worth giving the Health Protection Agency a call for advise as well.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/

If you go to the bottom of the page you can put your address/postcode in and get a number local to you. When ever I have had to call them they ahve always been very helpful.

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 09:49 AM
You will have to ring them if the child is diagnosed with Scarlet Fever because it is a Notifiable Disease.

I have been looking to find out where I can get more info on this to keep on what actually are classed as notifiable diseases... but could only find information on the process. Do you have any info by any chance?

nikki thomson
06-03-2012, 09:58 AM
Hi, they tend to be really poorly with sf, the schoolie I have had it last year and it was awful, his mum and dad are both teachers and it was in term time it was a nightmare for them trying to juggle it between them, there's no way he could of come here he was in agony, bless him, it's also very contagious. X

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Never mind lol. I think I have found them, but it is a very long list...

rickysmiths
06-03-2012, 01:46 PM
I have been looking to find out where I can get more info on this to keep on what actually are classed as notifiable diseases... but could only find information on the process. Do you have any info by any chance?

Here you are Emma. I keep a cpoy on my Risk Assessment file and in my parent Information Folder.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/NotificationsOfInfectiousDiseases/ListOfNotifiableDiseases/

rickysmiths
06-03-2012, 01:48 PM
Never mind lol. I think I have found them, but it is a very long list...

I have posted a link. Only 32 Diseases on the HPA list

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 02:42 PM
I have posted a link. Only 32 Diseases on the HPA list

lol I had a funny feeling you were doing this, I saw your post about measles and actually wondered... Is that ricksmiths being brill again :thumbsup: :laughing:

Ahhh you are a gem lol... Thank you though xxx

Crraziegirl
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Well, I spoke to HPA who put the Infection control Nurse on to me. She advised that None of the mindee's from that family should come until after 48 hours have passed from when the child with SF started his course of antibiotics. So today I have spent the day antibacterialising the house and toys ready for tomorrow morning when they are back in my care.

Thank you all for your help.

I had seen all the advise for the sick child, but there was nothing printed anywhere on how to deal with the other children in his family. Anyway,...all cleared up thanks to the I.C.N. :)