PDA

View Full Version : SMOKERS!!

smellyellie
28-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Hi was just wondering if any of u childminders or potential childminders are smokers, i am a smoker and no i obviously wont be able to smoke whilst i have mindees, but does this go against u

foxy lady
28-05-2008, 08:40 AM
i am a smoker was never asked about it
i have a smoking policy we do not smoke in the house and never when the children are around
if you havent got a smoking policy i think you should do one, then you can show it if anybody asks:D

katickles
28-05-2008, 08:43 AM
My sister in-law (also childminder) is a smoker & its never gone against her. She doesn't smoke in the house or around the children. She has the smoking policy in place :)

smellyellie
28-05-2008, 08:51 AM
will you be able to smoke in the house when you have no mindees or will it have to become a total no smokin zone, thanks 4 replys by the way, i have my briefin session on tuesday and am terrified

smellyellie
28-05-2008, 08:53 AM
hi also was wondering afetr the briefing session what is the first cousre that you do, and wot type of things does it entail

avril
28-05-2008, 08:53 AM
I'm not a smoker and no one smokes in my house, I have a no smoking policy too. If you smoked when no children were present wouldn't the smell still linger in the furniture were the children play and sit, I'm not sure how it works with not smoking I'm sure someone will come along soon with the correct info.

SimplyLucy
28-05-2008, 08:56 AM
I'm not a smoker but will pass comment as a parent.

You'll need to have a policy in place stating that you won't be smoking whilst minding. You also need to be honest with the parents when they ask if you smoke, no point in trying to hide it.

Personally I wouldn't ever put my children in the care of someone who smokes, even if they didn't smoke in the house, policy or no policy.
One of my daughters has damaged lungs from being premature and the smell of smoke causes her alsorts of problems. I even changed her playgroup when she was little as a couple of the staff members smoked and even the smell on their clothes was enought to effect my daughter.

SimplyLucy
28-05-2008, 08:58 AM
will you be able to smoke in the house when you have no mindees or will it have to become a total no smokin zone, thanks 4 replys by the way, i have my briefin session on tuesday and am terrified

I think you need to think from a parents point of view...........do you think they would want to place a baby/child in a house that has a strong smell of smoke lingering around?

katickles
28-05-2008, 08:59 AM
TBH i'm not 100% sure. At the end of the day - your home is now your work place during the day so thats a definate no smoking zone - but outside of these hour i'm not sure how it works with it still being home & work.

Theres also the point of view from parents - alot will not like it.

You could ask at your pre-reg, they will let you know :)

flora
28-05-2008, 09:03 AM

You'll need to have a policy in place stating that you won't be smoking whilst minding. You also need to be honest with the parents when they ask if you smoke, no point in trying to hide it.

Personally I wouldn't ever put my children in the care of someone who smokes, even if they didn't smoke in the house, policy or no policy.
One of my daughters has damaged lungs from being premature and the smell of smoke causes her alsorts of problems. I even changed her playgroup when she was little as a couple of the staff members smoked and even the smell on their clothes was enought to effect my daughter.

I personally wouldn't put my kids with a smoker, I am sure yours doesn't :blush: but smokers houses can smell and I wouldn't want that on their clothes etc.

Also you can exhale nasties from the ciggies quite a long time after having one ( can't remember how long but its more than a few mins).

So I would steer clear.

I am sure you will get clients though bit like those of us with pets/ dogs. Some clients are ok some steer clear.

May be this could be an opportunity to think about giving up????

smellyellie
28-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Think i will try n start going out to the garden for 1, there was some good points about the house smellin of smoke etc, may as well get used to it now be4 i become registered, thanks again :thumbsup:

katickles
28-05-2008, 09:05 AM
I didn't say on my reply - but again no way would let my lo go somewhere where they smoked. Like i said - alot won't like it. Sorry

smellyellie
28-05-2008, 09:10 AM
thats ok i appreciate your honest replys, and do want to do things properly, so my home is now an offical NO SMOKING ZONE, why does it have to be blurdy rainin outside dont think a will be havin many ciggerettes today:angry:

manjay
28-05-2008, 09:36 AM
My dh (also a registered minder) is a light smoker. He has never ever smoked in our house - that is what the shed is for:D He doesn't often look after the children for more than a few hours at a time and he then goes all day without one. Our parents are all aware and ok with this. You will have to think about managing for long periods of time without one!! Think it would put me off slightly as a parent but all families are different. I do not like animals so I would avoid a childminder with lots of pets.

Do think it is a good opportunity to give up though

ruby
28-05-2008, 09:39 AM
at least this way it might help you give up
:laughing:

we don't smoke in my house but my sister etc does and they have to go out the back or if it is raining then i have a covered alley at the side and they use that. No way are they allowed to smoke in the house

cathy

jaja
28-05-2008, 09:47 AM
I have to say please be honest with potential parents as i had a bad experience, My lo was 9months and i left him with a cm, he was ok and seemed fine and happy BUT one day i arrived early to find her outside having a fag while my lo was playing on the floor, i wasnt impressed at all she hadnt told me that she smoked :panic: (even though i did:blush: ) and he was left unattended in the house while she was outside. :angry:

So when i started childminding 5 years ago i was open about the fact that i smoked outside and no children would be near me, but i would be able to see them and hear them. All parents where fine about it, they were never put off, However i quit smoking two years ago:clapping: and feel so much better. I can smell smoke and fags a mile off on clothes and in houses and carnt stand it now, this took alot of time to get to this stage, and yes some days i think ohh i could do with one but then it passes as quickly as it came.

Be honest with parents, dont smoke in your home because however fantastic you are you carnt get rid of the smell that easy, and write a policy.

hope that helps:littleangel:

xxxx

mrsb
28-05-2008, 10:02 AM

I totally agree with you :) I'd never send my children to a smoker (nothing against them as a person) I gre up surrounded by smoke, even though my mum ended up not smoking in the house, the smell was still there, it was also there on her clothes, on her breath etc. It got to the point that I made her change clothes if she wanted to hold my daughter as she was born early with lung problems as well. The dr's made me totally aware that tobacco will get in to the childs lungs from clothes or from the smokers breath etc.

Good luck, I really hope you do get lots of children etc but fom a parents point of view I think it will be harder for you than non smoking minders.

Sorry really hope I've not caused offence, it is just something I feel really strongly about:blush:

Pipsqueak
28-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I am a smoker (still - think I have given up giving up - I will try again!!!!), I have never smoked in the house or near my kids or partner. It does help you cut down if you have to go outside!!!

I have always been aware in case my house smells - I hate going into a smokers house and its stinks (I did the other day for one of my supports). My DO was really surprised when she saw me one day when I was out (not working) and I was having a ciggie. She said she'd never have guessed as there is no smell in my house or on me! (thank goodness).

Anyway, I have a no smoking policy for my premises (except the side of the house where I go for a ciggie), remember its illegal to smoke on work premises and your setting is a work place at certain times. I never smoke around the children and none of them (apart from my own) are aware that I do. I am a bit of a fresh air freak going through the house anyway so no chemical smellies masking the smell. I am honest with parents and Ofsted have never asked!

Banana
28-05-2008, 12:18 PM
As everyone has said just be honest and tell parents you smoke and have a policy in place.

I used to smoke but never when minding - just didnt feel right for me.

Have now given up (other than an odd night out). I have never smoked in any home and would always go outside, you just cant hide that smell.

My OH smokes and only in the garden, its not just the mindees health, its my daughters too. I think its important not to smoke inside if you have kids!

x

Spangles
28-05-2008, 01:32 PM
I have got to say that none of us smoke and I wouldn't choose a childminder who smoked to care for my son either.

Just the smell of smoke lingering affects my asthma quite badly not to mention I don't want to smell! Plus, there are reports now that just holding a baby wearing clothing with old cigarette smoke on it damages their health so, for me, I wouldn't be able to put my son there.

That's just me though I am very anti-smoking, I'm sure there are many more people that wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

smellyellie
28-05-2008, 06:58 PM
hi thanks for all the honest replys, my house is offically no smokin, been goin 2 the garden all day for a tab and have only had about 5 tabs all day, normally i would have smoked a lot more than that, so thanks u guys hav already helped me loads :clapping:

berkschick
28-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I know a minder who got unsatisfactory as she smoked on the school run whilst with the mindees even though they were outdoors.

Pipsqueak
28-05-2008, 09:52 PM
I know a minder who got unsatisfactory as she smoked on the school run whilst with the mindees even though they were outdoors.

Hmmm I know a minder who lights up in front of the mindees - apparently its ok because she is outside and stood behind the buggy!!!:eek:

Sorry can't do it - even during my time of I couldn't bring myself to have a ciggie in front of the minded children if we were out and about and saw them