PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Health

Mari
03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Hi all< I rarely come here as I am very busy, but would like some feedback. I was informed back in May that I needed to register my business withe the Environmental health Authority as I am providing food, I completed the form and sent it, now I have been contacted by them to say that I need to complete a booklet and they will have to inspect my premises. I don't really want them to come to MY HOME! but will allow them to if I really have to. I asked them why they needed to come and the lady told me that it was to ensure that I was handling food correctly, I told ther that I'd attended a Food Hygiene course and I believed that was all that I needed, but she said that I'd receive a booklet that needed to be filled in and then she would visit, look at my kitchen and offer advice of food hygiene and safety and then she would score me on a 1-5, if I didn't complete the booklet then I would score no more than 2!!!!! So, the hygiene and cleanliness of my home is based on whether I complete a form! What a load of nonsense in my opinion. anyway, do the environmental Health have the right to visit my home and grade me like this? I feel that it is an invasion of my privacy and fear a whole load of paperwork is about to appear, aside from the fact that she will be visiting and asking me questions when I shoulld be looking after the children. All comments, advice and debates welcome.

And Mods, please feel free to move this post to the appropriate place if I shouldn't be here. sorry:blush:

rickysmiths
03-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes they have an absolute right of entry in Law to any food business. With childminders they usually make an appointment but in Law they can turn up and demand to come in and you would be extremly foolish to stop them.

That bit over!!!!

I think you are going a bit ott on this. We have a leaflet to fill in for our EHO. It is all about RA, how and where you store and rotate your food so it is kept safe and always in date. Where you buy your food and how it is delivered or how you get it home. Sensible things like how would you get Ice cream home from Tescos on a summer day when the temp is 34 degrees? You would use a cold box with ice blocks.

It sounds from what you say it will be very much an information and help giving visit and if your kitchen is clean, tidy and you food is stored as it should be then there is nothing to be concerned about. She will probably only be with you a few mins.

The reason she may of made the comment about not filling it in is that they need, like Ofsted , written evidence of what and how you are doing things.

You should also have a folder called:

Safer food better business for childminders available free if you ring and ask for a copy.

http://www.food.gov.uk/foodindustry/regulation/hygleg/hyglegresources/sfbb/sfbbchildminders/

Mari
03-03-2012, 03:51 PM
thank you, what is RA?

rickysmiths
03-03-2012, 03:56 PM
thank you, what is RA?

Risk Assessment.

Mari
03-03-2012, 03:58 PM
ok. have you had a visit and how long were they there? I'm still not happy, ott or not!

rickysmiths
03-03-2012, 04:07 PM
No I haven't here at home. They visited about 5 out of 50 cms 3 years ago when we first had to register. The friend who was visited had no problem and they were with her for about half an hour.

I was a Catering Manager before I became a mum and I have had inspections in the units i worked in. Far worse and through that you will ever get in your home as a cm. We are rated in the lowest risk category anyway but because were are registered we have to be visited. Some areas they seem to visit all cms, in our county because 3 years ago there were nearly 2000 cms the Environmental Heath Inspector went into melt down :laughing::laughing: He wasn't given anymore staff so they have only visited a few and I have just been sent this questionnaire three years on.

Really don't worry about it. If you have any pets make sure feeding and water bowls are not in the kitchen. Some don't like plants in the kitchen, lol my window sill is full of them ! but I would move them out of the way for a visit.

Apart from that there is nothing. Get yourself the folder in the link above, if you ring on Monday it will come in a few days and its free.

Really don't worry.

sarah707
03-03-2012, 04:42 PM
We have to register with Environmental Health and complete the 'Safer Food Better Business for Childminders' file.

Because there are 2 of us working here we also have to complete Coshh risk assessments and other bits and bobs.

We have also completed a level 2 food hygiene course... level 1 was enough but we wanted to show we were professional as we cater for quite a few children for tea.

We have not yet had a visit - but a lot of areas do have them.

like Rickysmiths says they have a right of entry because you are classed as a food business and it's their responsibility to ensure food provision is safe.

DP works in a school environment and has lots of visits and they just turn up - in some areas childminders have unannounced visits as well... in others they get a phone call.

Don't take it personally! It's just one more hoop to jump through :D

Zumba-mum
03-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm having my visit on Monday, my cm friend had her's last wk and say it was fine just asked a few questions looked at the kitchen and gave her 5 stars.

zippy
03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
Where do you get the form to register with, didn't effect me before as I was not providing food, now I am so need to register

Zumba-mum
03-03-2012, 07:40 PM
They rang me a few wks after being registered, can't remember filling anything form

Mari
03-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I was sent the form by the Early years department if I can remember. Although I think you can go to the link that Rickysmiths posted and you might find out where you can register. As far as I can tell every childminder in this area is having a visit. I was a bit disgruntled by the fact that she told me to complete the booklet and if I didn't then I wouldn't be graded higher than a 2!
Also, where do people keep the cat's food bowl other than the kitchen, we don't have a utility room and he's not eating in the lounge, not even we eat in there!
Thank you for all you help everyone. I think I'm feeling a bit sensitive lately with all the paperwork and bureaucracy that we have to go through and I really don't want these people snooping around my home, feeling like I'm living in my business rather than working from home if you know what I mean. hmm, perhaps I need a holiday!!!

rickysmiths
03-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Where do you get the form to register with, didn't effect me before as I was not providing food, now I am so need to register

Ring your Local Council Offices and ask to be put through to the Environmental Health Dept. They will send you the forms you need to register with your local area.

The link I gave was were you can order the folder you will need called, ' Safer food better business for childminders'. You can ring and they will send you the folder free.

CH1957
04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I didnt get a visit when I registered with Environmental Health. I sent in my form, lady phoned me, asked what type of food I was preparing, she said ok she'd approve me and that was that!
I didnt hear anything about being given a star rating though?

sarahjane
04-03-2012, 12:17 PM
I was inspected a few months ago, it's really nothing to worry about, she came in, checked paperwork asked a few questions and then checked fridge and freezer temperatures. That was it, over in 10 mins and have been told that in 3 years time she will phone to see if there have been any changes at all.

She even didn't mind the fact my dog is kept in the kitchen as long as I had RA it (which I had)

hullabaloo
04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm in Lincolnshire and we have to inform our Local Environmental Health department when registered as a childminder. Even if only giving a child a drink of water from the tap, or providing child with knife/fork and plate for their own food from home.It only involves filling in a short form , and the possability of a quick visit.

'Safer food better business 'document is excellent as a self reflective tool to ensure safe handling and preparation/storage of food etc.

If you look through your 'must' book (statutory framework) it states on page 27 under the regard part- Providers should be aware of their responsabilities under food hygiene etc....... registration with relevent LA env health dept.

I know that here registration it is certainly not loads of paperwork.....:) hopefully same for you too.

Von xx