PDA

View Full Version : Advice about providing formual and weaning foods for babies

claireLouise
27-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Hiya,

I was wanting to provide an All Exclusive Service, so parents only required to worry about getting up and dropping of their children/babies.

The Care Commission has raised concerns about me proving ready made up formula and weaning meals for babies. Does anyone provide this service and could you help with what specific procedures you have in place.

Look forward to your advice.

Regards

Claire

sue32
27-05-2008, 10:04 PM
I provide formual and food for babies, I buy the formual parents use at home and make up the milk as and when required (I only make a bottle and use it straight away), for food I do what I woulkd have done for my own, fresh vegtables and fruit bended down and then on to lumps, meat etc

ajs
27-05-2008, 10:31 PM
sorry i don't understand the problem

it is late and i am very tired
my parent buys me the right milk which i keep here and i make up the bottles for her as needed as for food she is eating finger food which i prepare and serve but mum supplies.
i don't have a policy for this i do have a healthy eating one though.

is that what you want to know

i follow mum's guidlines on bottle quantities at each feed though

nell57
28-05-2008, 04:51 AM
As long as you're following strict hygiene and food safety regulations, which we do with a child any age then there shouldn't be a problem.

I have provided the same as already answered above with parents providing the formula, making as required and blending fresh fruit and veg blended.

Helen

claireLouise
28-05-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the initial advice. The impression I was given was that Childminders in general do not provide weaning food or make up bottles for babies but I thought this was be a good uniique selling point if I did. From your possitive responses e.g. to puree fruit and veg which is what I currently do, I'll write what I think is an appropriate procedure and see what the Care Commission thinks.

Thanks

Claire

miffy
28-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Hi Claire

I'm not sure I understand the problem either.

It might help if you tell us what the care commission's concerns were

miffy xx

Pudding Girl
28-05-2008, 06:15 AM
I would imagine they just want a clear policy and risk assessment doing.

claireLouise
28-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Hi Everyone,

It was more advice than concern in that my appointed officer felt it would be more hastle than it was worth and that most chidlminders ask parents to provide for babies under one year old.

I think I need to contact the Care Commission again for clarity.

Regards

Claire

Hannahlg
28-05-2008, 09:10 AM
What my mum did for a a little who she has had form 6 months old, (who is now 6) when started eating her 3 meals a day, say if on a sunday night we had a chicken dinner she would make a bit exta and then on the monday tea time she would mash it for her ,

so once there starting eating food what the rest of the children eat jsut in a mashed up varion we supply the food,

but any milk or if there have jar the parent brings them

fionamal
28-05-2008, 09:44 AM
I also have an all inclusive deal with parents.

What the care commission really want to know about if the making up of bottles.

You are not allowed to have them made up and stored in the fridge.

What you have to do is boil the water, let it cool and make the bottle up fresh. How I got round it was by buying the readymade cartons of formula milk so it was just a case of pouring it into the bottle as and when required.

Its slightly more expensive but saves alot of hassle with the CCO.

claireLouise
28-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Fiona,

Fantastic news. I was planning to use the ready made up milk if not just for convience and it is what I use for my wee girl.

Do you have a written procedure for food preparation and sterilising of bottles and utenselsfor babies? If so, do you have any advice on what it should contain.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Claire

Banana
28-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Thhought id add some interesting info to this thread.

My friend who just had the baby was told by midwives in the hospital that she should be making up each feed as the baby needs it and she shouldnt store it in the fridge. and that she can put the water into the bottles and leave on the side but not to put them in the fridge either. I dont get it!

why do all the brands say on the instructions you can make up the feeds for 24 hours if thats now not the case.

I know that I ask for cartons of milk for minded children but I made up Isabelles feeds in advance when she was a bub and stored them correctly and she was never ill from bottles.

littletreasures
28-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I don't provide food or milk for babies.

The babies I have are termtime only contracts. I ask the parent to write down the child's routine briefly after each holiday (especially summer/Easter/Christmas) so I know when they are due bottles/sleeps etc.

Mum provides me with bottles and milk and I just make up a bottle as and when the baby needs it.

littletreasures

hello kitty
28-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I have just been on a Health and Safety course and a new "thing" has just come in that baby's bottles need to be made up freshly and not pre made and stored in a fridge (as has been done for years and years!!). It is to do with the temperature of the milk and the time scales for bacteria multiplying. I think pre made packaged milk would certainly be a way around this new problem. :)

Hope that makes a certain amount of sense!!

susi513
28-05-2008, 02:25 PM
Kitty is rightBottled Milk Guidelines:

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Healthcare/Maternity/Maternalandinfantnutrition/DH_4123674

Breast Milk Guildelines:

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/leaflets-and-publications.html

manjay
28-05-2008, 03:11 PM
These new guidelines were introduced when my son was born which was 2 years ago. I have read an article recently (can't remember where) that the baby milk companies are being lobbied to change the misleading advice printed on the package

claireLouise
28-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the links. I will research tonight included getting the online hygiene course material.

Thanks

Claire

buildingblocks
13-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Hiya,

I was wanting to provide an All Exclusive Service, so parents only required to worry about getting up and dropping of their children/babies.

The Care Commission has raised concerns about me proving ready made up formula and weaning meals for babies. Does anyone provide this service and could you help with what specific procedures you have in place.

Look forward to your advice.

Regards

Claire

i can't see a problem why do they. I have done this in the past and parents provided the milk for the baby and when the can was almost out they replaced it as for food how is it any different to feeding other childrens. Just check with parents if you are giving them something new that parens haven't a problem with it

buildingblocks
13-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Thhought id add some interesting info to this thread.

My friend who just had the baby was told by midwives in the hospital that she should be making up each feed as the baby needs it and she shouldnt store it in the fridge. and that she can put the water into the bottles and leave on the side but not to put them in the fridge either. I dont get it!

why do all the brands say on the instructions .

Current guidance (but can't remember where I got the info from) is that

bottles should be made up fresh with the water boiled about 30 mins before it is needed

Cazz
13-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Why can't you put boiled water in the fridge and store? I sterlise a day's worth of my own babies bottles (only 4), boil the kettle and then pour water in 30 mins later and store in the fridge. Heat one when needed and put formula in to make the feed.

Am I not supposed to be doing this? I thought it was just the formula being stored that was the problem, not boiled water?

10 years ago when my twins were babies I made a days worth of formula up and stored in the fridge - I know you shouldn't do that which is why I just store the water!

Carole x

sarah707
13-06-2008, 05:45 PM
I have just been on a Health and Safety course and a new "thing" has just come in that baby's bottles need to be made up freshly and not pre made and stored in a fridge

I'm surprised my 2 have made it to their teenage years! :rolleyes:

Cazz
13-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm surprised my 2 have made it to their teenage years! :rolleyes:

My sentiments exactly! I just can't see what the harm is in keeping water in the fridge! My baby doesn't seem to be doing too bad on it! It's probably some blokes sitting around a table who have come up with all this business about sterlising and boiling a kettle for every feed - completely unpractical!

Carole x

P.S. Some people have mentioned the pre-prepared cartons which I've never used as they're sitting on a shop shelf not even in the fridge! I'm probably completely wrong but to me that sounds more dangerous than making up bottles and storing them in the fridge!