PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge extra for tea?

Bexboo1
02-03-2012, 02:24 PM
I have only 1 mindee at the minute who stays until 6pm so I offer him tea, so I am reviewing my fee policy and am thinking of changing it before any more mindees start.

I currently charge £3.50 per hour and that includes everything. However this mindee who has tea is a really fuzzy eater and I am wasting loads of food, not to mention time and effort preparing lovely wholesome meals which he just doesn't eat. The only think he likes is chicken nuggets :panic: but I can't give him that everyday!!!

Do you think it is unreasonable to charge now for tea (evening meal) on top of the hourly rate?

venus89
02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable suddenly charging for something I previously didn't. But would it be worth talking to Mum and seeing if she'll provide an evening meal if the child won't eat what you're offering, or working together to work out a menu the child will eat so you're not wasting food?

lynnfi
02-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure if I would feel comfortable suddenly charging for something I previously didn't. But would it be worth talking to Mum and seeing if she'll provide an evening meal if the child won't eat what you're offering, or working together to work out a menu the child will eat so you're not wasting food?

I am pretty sure I would!! :D
Although I usually wait for contract review, but special case happen.

I charge £1 for a snack and 2.50 for a meal, lunch or supper. But I am thinking of charging more from Sept as I use organic food almost exclusively.

I would definitely change this as soon as possible, as you are actually from my point of view providing a free lunch ;)
The packed lunch is an alternative, but I wouldn't suggest it as this child would obviously benefit from your healthy meals, getting used to healthy food little by little. If he is on nuggets and hardly eats healthy food, the diet provided at home might be inadequate (speaking from experience).

And it may not be nice having everybody eating your healthy supper and one child who may feel excluded as not sharing the same.

To mention but a few aspects...

Wether or not the meal is eaten or thrown away, I would charge. :)
Hope this helps.

lynnfi
02-03-2012, 02:47 PM
[QUOTE=lynnfi;1064061]I

I would definitely change this as soon as possible, as you are actually from my point of view providing a free lunch ;)

Free supper sorry.

uf353432
02-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I charge for meals on top for all children over the age of 1 yr.

You've not stipulated how long you have had mindee - or even how old he is. If his birthday is coming up you could say that when he turns x you will start charging for his evening meal, or if its coming up to a year or 2 years since he started you can do it as a review of fee's, on in fact as april is nearly here you can say from 1st APril you will be charging for meals.