PDA

View Full Version : Emergency procedure help needed

jayne518
02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
hello, im just sorting out my policies and procedures before starting childminding and have thought about a situation that has got me stumped....

....if I am caring for more than 1 child and 1 of them has a serious accident and needs to go to the hospital in an ambulance what do i do????
there wont be enough time to organise alternative care for the other child so i would have to take them with me to the hospital but that would mean that i would have to leave the injured child in the ambulance on their own whilst i drive there, is that acceptable?

I know this is a very unlikely situation but I really need to know what to do.

Thanks.:eek:

debbie1
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi you would need to have an emergency person either another childminder or in a real emergency a good friend or neighbour who would be willing to look after other children till parents can pick up and then you could meet injured childs parents at hospital, you would have to put this in your policy so parents know you may have to do this if an emergency arises hope this helps :) debbie

Tatjana
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
You might have to take everyone with you, I wouldn't let the child be taken on their own.

It's all very well having emergency back up but if they aren't around or are full they won't be able to help.

mrs robbie williams
02-03-2012, 11:58 AM
i'd take everyone with you in the ambulance and then once you know the injured child is stable ring around parents and get them to collect asap x

Carol M
02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
The Paramedics may not allow you in the ambulance with other children.
In my policy I state that I do have emergency back up with other childminders or I will travel to hospital and meet parents there, either way you will assess each incident and act accordingly.
Carol xx

christine e
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I had an emergency situation a few years ago now and I contacted lo's parents immediately after phoning for an ambulance, these days paramedics do quite a lot of assessments before moving the patient and both parents and indeed all the other children's parents arrived before the ambulance left. As it turned out my husband was at home that day so he could have taken over if I had had to have gone in the ambulance (which I still did) but because the emergency situation was at around 5 pm I think my childminding emergency friends would have found it difficult to get to me as they would have had lots of children of their own. I think you have to be ready for different situations rather than naming one person as the person you would contact as Tatjana says that person may not be in or available so be ready with a few different solutions.

Cx

jayne518
02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
thank you so much to everyone for all your replies, i dont think all of the other children would be able to go in the ambulance with me? wouldn't anyone i leave the other children with have to be crb checked?