PDA

View Full Version : Is it bAth or bARth?

EmmaReed84
01-03-2012, 02:17 PM
I am just waiting to collect DS from school and I am bored! My mind started wondering (not many places for it to go up there :laughing:) but I got thinking about north and south accents!

I am northern but live in Essex and I am constantly told it is B"AR"TH and P"AR"TH not b"A"th IYSWIM. That the A is pronounced ar.

But sorry to say (southerners) us northerners are right! Say "stash"... EXACTLY... s-t-A-s-h... not s-t-AR-s-h! :laughing:

Ugh I need to get back to work, 3 weeks off and I am going dolally! lol

WibbleWobble
01-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Its bAth

but my OH says bOOk and i say luk

he says cOOker and i say cukker

we both say garidge

he is a freak....he is from the potteries..........:p

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Im from down suff, its baff :laughing:

Toothfairy
01-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I'm from Kent and we say B-AR-TH :D

munch149
01-03-2012, 04:38 PM
From down south and say baff lol

Try scone and scon

I say scone which if you follow the pattern is the correct way. When you add an e to the end of a word the first vOwel is supposed to make the sound of it's letter name

Eg con/cone
Ton/tone
Wine/wine
Din/ dine
Dam/dame
Dun/ dune

Only exceptions I can think of are gone and done so I suppose scone could be an exception but I still think I'm right lOl

rickysmiths
01-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Well I grew up in B-AR-TH!!

Jiorjiina
01-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Taught by my mother to say 'Barth' as a child, went to boarding school in North Yorkshire, have said 'Bath' ever since.

TBH, either one is fine with me.

EmmaReed84
01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Taught by my mother to say 'Barth' as a child, went to boarding school in North Yorkshire, have said 'Bath' ever since.

TBH, either one is fine with me.

What boarding school did you go?

And come one you northerners... I am getting out numbered here! :laughing:

charleyfarley
01-03-2012, 05:34 PM
Its bAth

we both say garidge

he is a freak....he is from the potteries..........:p:laughing::laughing:

Ha ha you sound like me and my hubby, he's from the Potteries too. Luckily both our children talk like me :D
Does your hubby call a side plate a muffin by any chance? My fil does and the first time he asked for one I thought he wanted a cake :laughing:

Carol xx

MAWI
01-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I live a few miles from'Bath. Most people pronounce it 'Bath' not 'B Arth'. I'm Welsh so totally confuse people with my accent, LOL. They seem to think Im from Newcastle!! I keep hearing there's no R in Bath!!

My children tell me all the time I'm talking 'wrong'. The favoured one they take the Michael out of me for is 'Ridiculous' and 'garage'. Apparently it's GarARge'. Whatever, I love different accents and at least I know what I'm talking about.

Twinkles
01-03-2012, 05:45 PM
it's pronounced SH-OW-ER :laughing:

WibbleWobble
01-03-2012, 05:59 PM
:laughing::laughing:

Ha ha you sound like me and my hubby, he's from the Potteries too. Luckily both our children talk like me :D
Does your hubby call a side plate a muffin by any chance? My fil does and the first time he asked for one I thought he wanted a cake :laughing:

Carol xx

oh yes....and every where we go he ALWAYS has to lift the crockery up to see if its still made in stoke....AND he says weird stuff like "ca thy kik a bow agin a wow an bost it?"......its all greek to me!

we also have to support Stoke City chez parsleypetal........

charleyfarley
01-03-2012, 06:11 PM
oh yes....and every where we go he ALWAYS has to lift the crockery up to see if its still made in stoke....AND he says weird stuff like "ca thy kik a bow agin a wow an bost it?"......its all greek to me!

My hubby says that stupid saying :eek: Even our children correct him when he talks :laughing::laughing:

we also have to support Stoke City chez parsleypetal........ :eek::eek:

Now that is just cruel :panic:

Carol xx

sarah707
01-03-2012, 06:16 PM
I used to mind for children whose mum comes from Essex and when they went home saying 'plaster' not 'plarster' they got told off!

They said 'but that's what Sarah says'... and I got told off :laughing::laughing:

The oldest is 18 now and not at all traumatised by her time with a northerner :o :D

dette
01-03-2012, 06:32 PM
There is no R in bath so why put one in !!! and what about umberella.
,southerners just cant say their "u's" properly they sat it like amberella and up is ap and under is ander....its an u not an a ..my mam who is from essex insists its carstle not castle and glarsses not glasses.....there is no r in any of them...im from up north not from ...ap nowf..you lot are down south .not dahn sarf
WE ARE RIGHT :)

mrs_scottydog
01-03-2012, 06:59 PM
It's definitely bath. I'm also a northerner but now in Essex. DS used to say everything the way I do but now he's at nursery he's starting to say things in a southern way. It's funny because if he's just talking he'll say things like a southerner but if I ask him a question he replies like a northerner!. Hx

PixiePetal
01-03-2012, 07:01 PM
sorry, another southerner here!

I can pronounce my 'u's very well thank you.:D I was born in Essex - near the Suffolk border, on the coast - a world away from what we called 'London Essex' like TOWIE - never spoken like that!!

In Sussex now, and have been since the age of 17, 30 years this year:thumbsup: People here thought I was posh when I came here to work :laughing:

I love local dialects :thumbsup: That's what make Britain great :D

FussyElmo
01-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Its bAth

we both say garidge

Oy Parsley leave us Potters alone we are not freaks its the rest of you just dont understand the complexity of the potteries dialect :laughing::laughing::laughing:

However making you support Stoke is just wrong - Now we are vale through and through but not sure its a good thing to mention at the min :blush:

nell57
01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Its bAth

we both say garidge

Scuse me duck, not all people from the potteries are freaks, just the ones who support Joke city ;):ROFL1:

Milli147
01-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Its BARRF, innit! :laughing:
Nope, I say barth, gararge, parth, scon, plarster, carstle and glarsses! I grew up in Hampshire, moved to Sussex were they thought I was a Londoner, and then moved to Surrey and apparently talk posher for it! As a child I loved it when my great auntie who lived in Burnley used to come to stay. I used to make her say "loooowk in the boooowk" !!! Aww, wish I could hear that now!

nell57
01-03-2012, 08:03 PM
:laughing::laughing:

Carol xx

:laughing:I've never heard of a muffin plate neither and I worked in the 'pots' for 25 years in my previous life before I became a minder:D

christine e
01-03-2012, 08:04 PM
It's definitely BATH here although surprised that one of my lo's says barth but her mum says that is down to Peppa Pig!

Cx

PS it is also scone not scon!

mushpea
01-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm orginaly from norfolk but now live in essex and its defintatly barth, parth, bootiful :D

Playmate
01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
There is no R in bath so why put one in !!! and what about umberella.
,southerners just cant say their "u's" properly they sat it like amberella and up is ap and under is ander....its an u not an a ..my mam who is from essex insists its carstle not castle and glarsses not glasses.....there is no r in any of them...im from up north not from ...ap nowf..you lot are down south .not dahn sarf
WE ARE RIGHT :)

Can I just say the 'U' mispronounciation is not a southern thing it is an Essex thing! I'm from the North side of London and although I admit to saying bARth and PARth etc I say Umbrella and up :D Oh and I have a mUm not a mAm :laughing:

dette
01-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Can I just say the 'U' mispronounciation is not a southern thing it is an Essex thing! I'm from the North side of London and although I admit to saying bARth and PARth etc I say Umbrella and up :D Oh and I have a mUm not a mAm :laughing:

:laughing::laughing:its definitly mam

snufflepuff
01-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm a Southerner and say 'bath'. I'm from Wiltshire so I'm a bit 'country bumpkin'...I put lots of emphasis on the letter 'r' in words. I also have to concentrate to make sure I pronounce 't' in words properly...such as water. It just doesn't come naturally to me, although I do admit it sounds common. Around here it's only 'people (sorry, don't mean that in a nasty way, lol!) who say 'barth' and 'parth'. One of my Mums in from Kent and speaks quite posh...mindee picks up some of my accent and Mum doesn't like it much, oops!

betty boop
01-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Im a yorkshire lass so its defo baff
or if im talking to my kids then its time for a splish splash:clapping:

Twinkles
01-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I have one mindee who is born and bred in Surrey. He says bAth not bARth as his mum and dad are northerners.

LOOPYLISA
01-03-2012, 10:23 PM

I have a mum not mam or mom :p

PixiePetal
01-03-2012, 10:32 PM

well I would call it an 'East End' thing. Not Essex - well not where I came from (Frinton On Sea - v posh :laughing:)

I have a mUmand say Umbrella, Under and Up :D

Actually I think I have picked up bits of all the places I have lived - love the Cornish dialect :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
01-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Born in Berkshire ( pronounced barksheer) I say it the 'posh' way so the a sounds as in garden and have a mum, not a mam or a mom (is that a bit of an Americanism?) but my sister(born in Hampshire) says path and bath like laff

Jiorjiina
02-03-2012, 02:54 PM
What boarding school did you go?

This one. (http://www.giggleswick.org.uk/) Behold its glory, and then imagine my childhood and teenage torment when talking to people about it. :(

Aside from the shortened northern vowels, I am RP in my speech. Although I can do some pretty good regional accents when necessary!

rickysmiths
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
:laughing::laughing:its definitly mam

No I had a mum not a mam (that's the Queen isn't it?):laughing::laughing:

rickysmiths
02-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm a Southerner and say 'bath'. I'm from Wiltshire so I'm a bit 'country bumpkin'...I put lots of emphasis on the letter 'r' in words. I also have to concentrate to make sure I pronounce 't' in words properly...such as water. It just doesn't come naturally to me, although I do admit it sounds common. Around here it's only 'people (sorry, don't mean that in a nasty way, lol!) who say 'barth' and 'parth'. One of my Mums in from Kent and speaks quite posh...mindee picks up some of my accent and Mum doesn't like it much, oops!

Well I must be the one that proves the rule wrong!!!! I am definitely not posh and I grew up, went to school and worked in Barth!!!! I am told I had a real Summerset ascent when I lived there!

We wore Daps as well, not plimsolls.

breezy
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
It's BAARRRRRRRFFF innit mate?:D

munch149
02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Haha plimsole and daps. I live in Bristol
And worked in a school in Somerset for a
Bit. The children had no idea what I was on about when I asked them to get there daps. Two counties so close together and speak so different. Try having a kiwi step mum. Once she asked me to get my
Togs and I had no idea that was a swimsuit.

rickysmiths
02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
It si amazing isn't it. Of course when I went up north to college a bap became a barm cake :laughing:

I would have known Togs but I have no idea why.

Mind you Dad was in the RAF so I have lived all over the place including Germany and Kenya and have had friends from all over the world.

snufflepuff
02-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Oops just realised my post makes no sense.... it's meant to say 'posh' people not just 'people lol!