PDA

View Full Version : My garden is not safe, any grants available?

Sesity
27-02-2012, 01:43 PM
My garden is huge but so unsafe!

There's broken slabs of concrete sticking up all over the place, even I trip on them! plus it's spread out over 3 levels, each level being two bricks high. The bricks are used as a border, so you can imagine how awful it could be if a child fell over onto one of those!
The 'steps' between levels are lumps of concrete which has been poured onto the floor & just left to harden. Also the back step is two paving slabs balanced on bricks, not to mention the council kerbstones running along the length of the patio!
(The garden was like this when we moved here btw, I don't know what the previous owner was thinking!)

A gardener has quoted me £4,000 (that's for choosing all the cheapest options!) I did try looking online for grant info, but I'm very confused by it all. Could someone help me out? I live in Hertfordshire if that's any help :)

Would OFSTED refuse to let me mind because of the garden?

stardust
27-02-2012, 03:32 PM
My garden is huge but so unsafe!

There's broken slabs of concrete sticking up all over the place, even I trip on them! plus it's spread out over 3 levels, each level being two bricks high. The bricks are used as a border, so you can imagine how awful it could be if a child fell over onto one of those!
The 'steps' between levels are lumps of concrete which has been poured onto the floor & just left to harden. Also the back step is two paving slabs balanced on bricks, not to mention the council kerbstones running along the length of the patio!
(The garden was like this when we moved here btw, I don't know what the previous owner was thinking!)

A gardener has quoted me £4,000 (that's for choosing all the cheapest options!) I did try looking online for grant info, but I'm very confused by it all. Could someone help me out? I live in Hertfordshire if that's any help :)

Would OFSTED refuse to let me mind because of the garden?

Hey,
No they wont they register people who live in flats.
Just risk assess it and when your pre reg inspector comes around explain that you feel it is not a safe environment for your mindee's so you will not be using it. Then say that you will compensate by taking them to parks and green spaces daily. Draw up a list of local areas and risk assess them.

About your garden you could fence off the patio with a gate at the steps and see if you can pick up some old crash mats?

Or you can section off area's for specific uses for example the first level general play area, Second level with a vegetable patch that the children would only use with supervision and the top one for your personal use?? x Pm me and ill send you my e-mail address, send me some pick and ill see if i can help with some ideas x

Tara x

CH1957
27-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I dont know about grants as its different in every area, we dont get one here.
When I had my pre-reg inspection the inspector did comment on my garden as it wasnt very child friendly at the time with lots of steps, but I assured her that the children would be supervised at all times and she seemed happy with that. Make sure you have risk assessed it.
At worse Ofsted will not approve your garden until the work has been done.

Monkey26
27-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I didn't have a garden when first registered (well i did but it wasn't fenced in therefore the other flat owners used it as a short cut!). I was lucky to be able to access a grant about 2 years into minding so had it all fenced in and the paving slabs evened out - i then called Ofsted who said risk assess the new space, send a photo and tar-da they said it was now safe to use :)

Ring the childcare team at your local council to ask - thats what i did! x

Toothfairy
27-02-2012, 05:03 PM
It's ok, You can still be registered without a garden. :thumbsup:

If your garden is in 3 sections, could you concentrate on the area nearest the house first and get this safe/usable and block off the other 2 sections?

Then over time, you can gradually get the other 2 sections safe & usable.

Demonjill
27-02-2012, 05:15 PM
You will still be able to be registered :thumbsup:

You may have to say how you would ensure children got fresh air and outside play/exercise though eg walks,playpark,farm etc

You will probably find that your garden will be registered at a later date when its all child friendly:thumbsup:

melco
27-02-2012, 08:26 PM
I had Ofsted come to mine a few weeks ago and I had done a risk assessment on my garden and decided not to use it. It is all paved or has stones and have three large stone steps going up to patio area. I have no grass and a lot of plants that I don't even know what they are. Also was done by people who were living in the house before and he was a landscape gardener!! Anyway the lady from Ofsted said that as long as I take the plants out with berries on it and I supervise at all times then she was happy to register the garden. So maybe mention your concerns but I think they may still register you as she said otherwise it means taking them out everyday and you can't even sit in the garden in the summer to have an ice cream! Hope this helps.

onceinabluemoon
28-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Hey,

Tara x

Really? Is this a new thing? I know at least 2 registered childminders who were registered in flats so am surprised to hear this.

OP can you fence off a section of your garden and make this suitable for the little ones with a view to doing the rest as and when you can afford it? The other CM in my town had an awful garden when she registered and they registered her but banned her garden, now she has it all decked out beautifully.

Sesity
28-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

I rang FIS this morning, there are no grants in my area. But that's ok, like you say, I can risk assess and possibly fence off a section.
Even if I can't use it yet, I can child mind without it and be able to earn money to do it really well in the future :)

I am tempted to get a loan & just do it now tgh!

~Chelle~
28-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey,

Tara x

I know LOTS of childminders who are registered and live in flats, quite a few on here too.

They take the children out to parks/ toddler groups ect to do outdoor activities. Just because you live in a flat, doesn't mean you cannot childmind!

RainbowMum
28-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Really? Is this a new thing? I know at least 2 registered childminders who were registered in flats so am surprised to hear this.

OP can you fence off a section of your garden and make this suitable for the little ones with a view to doing the rest as and when you can afford it? The other CM in my town had an awful garden when she registered and they registered her but banned her garden, now she has it all decked out beautifully.

OIABM you've read it wrong :p it says they do register people with flats and no garden and it wont be a problem :)

I agree, risk asses, deal with the area closes to house first and section of the rest for a later project :thumbsup:

Mollymop
28-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Tara means - No they won't (have a problem with it), they register people who live in flats.

My garden is unsafe - I don't use it at the moment. When I had my inspection inspector was fine with it as she saw evidence that I go to the parks most days etc. x

~Chelle~
28-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Tara means - No they won't (have a problem with it), they register people who live in flats.

My garden is unsafe - I don't use it at the moment. When I had my inspection inspector was fine with it as she saw evidence that I go to the parks most days etc. x

Ahhhhhh I mis-read it too.

It amazing what a comma would do :p

onceinabluemoon
28-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Oh right I see, I thought she was saying they don't register people in flats and thought they'd changed the rules, ROFL :laughing: