PDA

View Full Version : Fire Escape Plan

kimnolan87
26-02-2012, 08:03 PM
Hiya,

Not sure if this is the right place or not...

Just working out my fire escape plan....

I'm in a first floor flat....so one escape route, if there was a fire in the kitchen, would be to get everyone down the stairs, to the front garden, and then away from the building.

However, I have my boiler in the hallway, which if there was a fire there, would block the stairs. I have spoken to my downstairs neighbour, and she is happy to put down a mattress, and to assist me to get the children out of the living room window - is this still appropriate?

I have just come across the idea of having a fire escape ladder, which is permanently attached to a window sill, and then can be thrown out of the window. Has anyone used one of these? Are they a good idea?

I personally think that a fire escape ladder would be better in my situation, as my neighbour might not be in, when there's a fire....and that way, I could get out as quickly as possible...

What do you all think?

Kim x

sarah707
26-02-2012, 08:06 PM
It's best to ask the fire officers to come round and give you advice based on your personal circumstances.

Absolutely not a mattress - if a child broke their arm you'd be in huge trouble.

Perhaps a ladder but you should take advice I am not an expert.

Hth :D

rickysmiths
26-02-2012, 08:21 PM
I would definitely call the Fire Brigade to do a Home Safety Check and they will advise you on an evacuation plan for your family which would be the same fr minding.

I would not go the mattress route. I would be surprised if you would be able to lift one and get it out of the window if they are anything like our mattresses.

kimnolan87
26-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks!

I thought that would be the case with a mattress.

Silly question, how do I get a visit by a fire officer?

Kim x

stardust
26-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Mine says
In an emergency involving fire i will take the following steps
1. Run around flapping and shouting.
2. Take all my mindees up stairs to my unregistered first floor.
3. Throw the mattress out the window, Throw my mindee's out after it.
4. Run back down stairs to collect coats and personal belongings.
5. Use the fire to cook marsh mellows.
6. Ring fire brigade
7. Run back upstairs and throw personal items at the only mindee who has not wondered off.
8. Sit on the window sill until fire fighters arrive to rescue me.

Would love to see ofsted's reply to this lol x

rickysmiths
27-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Thanks!

I thought that would be the case with a mattress.

Silly question, how do I get a visit by a fire officer?

Kim x

Do you know where your local fire station is? If you do pop along there and if you can't see anyone have a look at the side of a fire engine and the number to ring will be on there.

Google Fire Safety Home Check and your town or county and that will bring up a list of contacts.

Ring your local Council Offices and they will probably be able to give you a local number to ring.

tess1981
27-02-2012, 11:43 AM
tara_louise i think ofsted might have a few choice words for you... such as you are no longer a CM lol:laughing:
but i do like the idea of the marshmallows... yum;)

stardust
27-02-2012, 12:03 PM
What?! So I'm going to have to re think it? Naff lol.

karens knippers
29-02-2012, 08:25 PM
I would speak to local fire safety officer. They will come and do free home safety check and also put up free smoke detectors. If they suggest a ladder i would speak to DO to see if u can get grant to pay for 1. If going ladder route will also need to plan how u would get all children out...can they go down by selves...would there be passers by to help? Most parents would prefer to have there child out with a few broken bones rather than not at all.

amyxpearce
21-05-2012, 02:57 PM
This is a really old post but I'm just doing a fire risk assessment now. I will be saying that if I am trapped in a room due to a fire and there is no escape route then I will throw a mattress out of the window and jump! Because I would rather that than burn! :littleangel:

BucksCM
21-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I was told not to by the lovely firemen (:D) that came to do my check (in their fire truck).
If you are stuck upstairs, ring 999, close the door, open the window, put something at the door to stop the smoke coming in and sit and wait.
They told me that they have far more injuries from jumping from upper floors than smoke inhilation.
They also said that I wouldn't be waiting long as the station in nearby and they aim to be there within 8 minutes.

miffy
21-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Mine says
In an emergency involving fire i will take the following steps
1. Run around flapping and shouting.
2. Take all my mindees up stairs to my unregistered first floor.
3. Throw the mattress out the window, Throw my mindee's out after it.
4. Run back down stairs to collect coats and personal belongings.
5. Use the fire to cook marsh mellows.
6. Ring fire brigade
7. Run back upstairs and throw personal items at the only mindee who has not wondered off.
8. Sit on the window sill until fire fighters arrive to rescue me.

Would love to see ofsted's reply to this lol x

:eek: :laughing: Ofsted are not known for their sense of humour ;)

Miffy xx