PDA

View Full Version : Appointment for DS for ASD assessment

EmmaReed84
24-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Just had two letters in the post. The referral letter which says "Given the presentation described by Dr X's letter it seems that C would benefit from an Autistic Spectrum Disorder assessment and further support if needed"

Second letter was the appointment for DS on 15th March at 9.30am. I feel so many things right now. Can anyone advise on what sort of things to expect as I have never been through this before.

Shocked at how quickly this has all come through TBH.

Chatterbox Childcare
24-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Not got a clue but at least the ball is rolling

Let us know how you go

cathysten
24-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Hi,
I've not actually posted on here before (have been lurked) but wanted to reply because me 6 year old DS is currently being assessed for ASD, and had his ADOS assessment done a few weeks ago, I'm waiting to hear what the outcome is. The first appointment with psychology that we had was for parents only, going through his medical history, behaviour issues, general oddities etc for the umpteenth time, then another appointment for formal observation which took a bit longer than an hour I think, he was in a room with 2 doctors (I was in the corridor) and he played games, talked a bit, did some drawing etc.
Do PM me if you like. The whole process has been very drawn out for us and pretty stressful - i veer between days when I think, yes he is definitely ASD, lets get a diagnosis and try to get some help, and days when I think no, he's just a bit quirky, am I making a fuss about nothing?
Cx

sarah707
24-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Congratulations on making your first post Cathy I am sure it will help Emma a lot to chat to someone in a similar position as her!

I hope the appointment gets you closer to where you need to be Emma :D

PixiePetal
24-02-2012, 07:09 PM
welcome cathysten!

no experience here but wanted to say well done from coming out of your lurk to help a fellow CM :thumbsup:

Just what this forum is great for :)

mushpea
24-02-2012, 07:26 PM
dont expect a diagnosis straight away,, it took us 3yrs and many appointments not saying it will take you this long. i would write down a list of questions you have for them. I would also write down a life history of him and his behavour going right back to the day you realised all was not right,, my sons went back to when he was 18 months,, I wrote down any odd behaviours or anything I didnt feel was 'normal', tell them any stragergies you have tried both those that do and dont work , to help him.
I would take a pen and paper to jot down notes of what they tell you,, I remember comming out of the first meeting kind of stunned and overwhelmed by it all and when OH asked about it I couldnt tell him a thing untill a few days later when all had calmed down.