PDA

View Full Version : Dettol No Touch Soap Dispenser???

EmmaReed84
21-02-2012, 10:34 AM
Does any one else see the massive design flaw with this no touch soap?

You use the loo, turn the tap on (with unwashed hands) then use soap to clean your hands, wash it off then turn the dirty tap off with clean hands... the tap you just touch with toilet germ hands... Why would having no touch soap stop the spread of germs? You touch the soap once with dirty hands, wash them and dont touch it again so what difference does it make if it is no touch... surely the best "no touch" would be the tap?

LOL This bugs me to high heaven... am I strange?:o

Cammie Doodle
21-02-2012, 10:48 AM
My hubby says the exact same thing. lol

Happy Bunny
21-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Am in complete agreement with you.

mindingmummy
21-02-2012, 10:59 AM
I've always laughed at this...i'm sure they aren't cheap either!
Me and Hubby always comment on how surely it doesnt matter what germs are on the soap dispenser as we are about to wash hands anyway.

EmmaReed84
21-02-2012, 11:06 AM
perhaps Dettol should have gone on Dragons Den, would love to have heard the sarcastic comments from them lol.

At least it is not just me, the add came on and it annoys me so much I have to turn over lol

Mouse
21-02-2012, 11:06 AM
To do hand washing strictly, you're supposed to turn taps on and off with your elbow, or a clean paper towel!

EmmaReed84
21-02-2012, 11:09 AM
To do hand washing strictly, you're supposed to turn taps on and off with your elbow, or a clean paper towel!

Thats what they do on Hobly City :thumbsup::D:laughing:

snufflepuff
21-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes! Gets on my nerves, there's just no point in it and so many people have bought them thinking they are some kind of genius invention....

Mollymop
21-02-2012, 11:17 AM
I agree but you're supposed to turn a tap off using a paper towel lol , so no germs

So yes imo, it would be more hygienic to use a tap (and turn tap off with paper towel afterwards)

mama2three
21-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Even if you had those magic no touch taps it would still be pointless!
It doesnt matter if there are germs on the dispenser - youre about to wash your hands!!

Cazz
21-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Ooh :blush:I've been sucked in by the marketing because I've got one in the downstairs toilet which the minded children use (no where else in the house where only my family touch it).

I can see what you're saying though - although my ex-hubby who's a chef has always said the correct way to wash your hands is to put soap on before you turn the tap on and then you haven't contaminated the tap at all.

The soap for those dispensers is expensive - £3.05 for a refill but it does last quite a while because it gives a measured amount as opposed to some children putting loads of soap on.

Also, I like it because the little ones can use it independantly as they don't have to push down hard on a normal dispenser. They also like the novelty factor and rush to wash their hands when it's snack or lunch time!

nikki thomson
21-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I see what your all saying but I love mine as it means my two dd's now aged 4 and 6 can wash there hands without me hearing mummy can you help me, mummy I pressed the hand soap and it's gone all on the floor, mummy what shall I do with all the extra soap that's now all in the sink, etc etc. makes my life a whole lot easier and I don't go into the down stairs loo and step in soap, lol. X

jane5
21-02-2012, 03:39 PM
:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I also crynge when you are in a public toilet and have washed your hands and see someone come out of the loo, dont wash their hands and contaminate the door handle......... eeewwwwuuuuugghhh.

I use a paper towel to open the door every time but then what do you do with the paper towel because the bin is often on the other side of the room?????

zippy
21-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Does any one else see the massive design flaw with this no touch soap?

You use the loo, turn the tap on (with unwashed hands) then use soap to clean your hands, wash it off then turn the dirty tap off with clean hands... the tap you just touch with toilet germ hands... Why would having no touch soap stop the spread of germs? You touch the soap once with dirty hands, wash them and dont touch it again so what difference does it make if it is no touch... surely the best "no touch" would be the tap?

LOL This bugs me to high heaven... am I strange?:o

You've missed the point completely Emma, you're suppose to turn the tap on with your teeth did you not realise lol

rickysmiths
21-02-2012, 06:08 PM
I use one because the real little ones can't push a soap dispenser to get any soap out but they can put their hand underneath the detol one. It gives them some independence from the start.

jumping j
21-02-2012, 06:13 PM
I use one because the lo's like it and it gives them some independence, I got the refills on the cheap from home bargains, around £1 each, so I stocked up, can't fit anything else in my bathroom cupboard now :laughing::laughing:

mushpea
21-02-2012, 09:31 PM
we have one cause the little ones find it easier to use,, I just take the lid off the orginal bottles and add shops own brand soap, Im not paying the stupid prices they charge for the proper stuff.

charleyfarley
21-02-2012, 09:39 PM
I for one love them :thumbsup:

The children can't seem to use the normal soap dispensers, it ends up all over the sink, wall, floor and the children themselves at least with these the worse that can happen is it goes in the sink.

Carol xx

ZoeAlli
21-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I have one and buy refills when I find them cheap (home bargains have them for around £1.50), otherwise I refill the soap bottle with cheaper liquid soap!:)
I bought mine when it was on offer and as I had a couple of mindees who refused to wash their hands properly, I thought it may encourage them to do so. It worked, the dispenser was a novelty to them and they would wash their hands just for the "magic soap", even after the novelty wore off, they continued to wash their hands well. :)

Playmate
22-02-2012, 05:15 AM
Thats what they do on Hobly City :thumbsup::D:laughing:

lol Emma, they do it in real hospitals too ;)

Being a paranoid ex nurse who has a thing about hand washing, I have lever taps at my sink and at the downstairs loo basin too. Not sure that the mindees use them quite the way they should though :rolleyes:

As for the soap dispensers, I found they promoted just a little too much independence and I was getting through rather alot of soap :laughing: I have 3 under 18mths at the moment who love to wash their hands at every possible opportunity :laughing:

appleblossom
22-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Like others I don't see the point in the Dettol dispenser as you only touch a soap dispener before you wash your hands. Anything else you touch afterwards you would be touching regardless of whether you use a hands free soap dispenser in any case. I agree that taps are possibly the worst thing after the toilet flush, which you touch before washing hands anyway.
I have a no touch tap in the downstairs loo. Not for hygiene reasons though, it's because there's only a cold water feed in there so I had a Redring water heater at the washbasin. It's amazing how visitors can't work out how to switch it on though. Apart from it being no touch I love it because it cannot overheat so children can't scald themselves and it is timed to turn off by itself so no problems with people leaving taps running.

Tink
23-02-2012, 07:10 AM
I have one because I found the children were unable to push down a normal soap dispenser!!

I agree with you though about germs there is no way of a child turning the tap on without getting germs on the tap. I am a clean freak at the best of times but this really bugs me!

onceinabluemoon
23-02-2012, 07:25 AM
I have lever taps in my kitchen too (like in hospitals but smaller scale) so the dettol dispensers would make good sense here.

With regards to the hand washing units in public loos. The automatic hand wash/dry things are a terrible breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria, including legionnaires disease. Simple sinks with taps (automatic preferably) and paper towels are much better. :)

Adiamond
23-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Ha ha this is all so very true lol.

I have to admit I do have one of these in my bathroom :blush: I bought it at half price so wasn't too expensive until I had to go buy a refill OMG how expensive??? luckily I am married to a very handy man and he has made my non refillable bottle into a refillable one :thumbsup: saving me loads of money!! x