PDA

View Full Version : New to Childmindering and losing hope :(

megan_2011
21-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi all,

I'm new and I'm also new to childmindering,

I'm finding it really hard to find kids I have people calling me up asking questions saying they will call me back to book a visit then they never call back. I have had people e-mailing me asking questions then saying I'm to far. I'm just losing hope now and I feel like I have advertised Everywhere and not getting any reply at all. I don't know where else to advertise or where to advertise on-line.

I'm the childcare.com website and netsmums but i don't really get much work from them.

Any help will be great as i really am losing hope and close to giving up.

Thanks
Megan

Mouse
21-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum and the world of childminding.

Unfortunately, as you're discovering, it can take new childminders a long time to get established, especially if work is quiet in your area.

I always think a lot of work comes by word of mouth, so you need to search out other childminders and make yourself known to them. Do you have a childminding group, or do you know of any who meet up regularly? If there is a group, get yourself along there and make friends with them all. They're much more likely to pass your name on for work if they have already met you.

Other than that, do you have children of your own? Do you attend toddler groups? Tell anyone & everyone that you are a childminder and you have vacancies.

What about facebook? A lot of childminders set up facebook pages for their business. Be careful that you don't put on pictures of any children you do start looking after, but perhaps put some pictures on of the equipment you've got, places you visit etc? And if you have your own facebook page, post a link to your childminding page on there & asks friends to do the same.

Unfortunately you do also have to get used to lots of enquiries that come to nothing. If people contact you, take a phone number from them & suggest you get back to them in a couple of days time when they've had chance to think about it & you'll be happy to answer any more question they might have.
The same with email. If someone contacts you, perhaps send a brief reply saying they're best to phone you for info & give your number.

Keep going. It can be disheartening at times, but you just have to keep telling everyone you know that you're a childminder and you have vacancies :thumbsup:

megan_2011
21-02-2012, 06:43 PM
Thank you for your reply i don't have any children of my own but i did go to a singing class with my niece and i am taking to find out where there are more classes or play groups so i can go along and talk to people and hand out business cards. I don't really know any childminders in my area at all or if there is a group where they meet up is there any websites in on-line about this? Thanks:thumbsup:

joanne1977
21-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Megan
Most children's centres have a childminder meet they do in my area anyway, so they maybe worth looking into??
Joanne

lucyD
22-02-2012, 10:30 AM
Hi, I feel for you as I am in the same boat! Was told by the childcare team who did the course that there was high demand in my area so thats why I decided to go for it. So far 5 enquiries that have all come to nothing. Most have been for 1 day a week or very odd hours that I couldn't see would work..one wanted 1 day a week but would change every week-had to turn her down! which was hard as need the work. Its so frustrating when they dont get back to you, as a bit of feedback on why they didn't chose you would help!! I believe I have a lot to offer even though I am NEW & I have a lovely home, very friendly & flexible,charges are on a par with others so ????????

I just keep telling myself the perfect contracts are round the corner....pref full days for more than 1 day a week lol

Good luck hunni, hope you get something soon...:)

CH1957
22-02-2012, 11:14 AM
Hi, I feel for you as I am in the same boat! Was told by the childcare team who did the course that there was high demand in my area so thats why I decided to go for it. So far 5 enquiries that have all come to nothing. Most have been for 1 day a week or very odd hours that I couldn't see would work..one wanted 1 day a week but would change every week-had to turn her down! which was hard as need the work. Its so frustrating when they dont get back to you, as a bit of feedback on why they didn't chose you would help!! I believe I have a lot to offer even though I am NEW & I have a lovely home, very friendly & flexible,charges are on a par with others so ????????

I just keep telling myself the perfect contracts are round the corner....pref full days for more than 1 day a week lol

Good luck hunni, hope you get something soon...:)

Things are exactly the same for me. My DO cannot believe that Im not getting anywork as Im so centrally located. The feedback I have had from prospective parents has been very positive, so I cant understand why Im not getting more work.
Ive been registered 4 months now and still only got 1 child 2 short days a week and this week started a mornings only school run, thats it!!
Just got to keep at it and hope it gets better soon.

picklepick
22-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi Megan

Have you got a website hon?

megan_2011
22-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Things are exactly the same for me. My DO cannot believe that Im not getting anywork as Im so centrally located. The feedback I have had from prospective parents has been very positive, so I cant understand why Im not getting more work.
Ive been registered 4 months now and still only got 1 child 2 short days a week and this week started a mornings only school run, thats it!!
Just got to keep at it and hope it gets better soon.

I was thinking the same thing just a little notice to say why they didn't choose you would have been good so you could improve it or something,

When i was in my course i got told the same thing but i haven't had much work the emails and phone calls are just none these days.

I'm just running out of ideas of how to advertise, I'm going to take some of my sisters kids to a play group in my area so many get something out of that.

At least i know i'm not the only one out there finding it hard.

I do have a website but i'm not sure about what to put on it and what not to put on it,

Thanks
Megan

claire250182
23-02-2012, 07:40 PM
I am exactly the same girls. I registered in November and still have nobody. I have done everything I can think of to advertise. I have a website, Facebook page, put a big ad in the local paper, leaflet dropping, business cards in local shops, Surestart centres, schools, estate agents, businesses, swimming baths, advertised on every internet site possible, yell.com, Yahoo Local, on Childcare.co.uk and STILL NOTHING!!!! I went to my first every childminding network this morning which was good to meet the other CMs round here. I have dropped my prices in line with what they are charging. I can't go on for much longer without earning some money. Had 2 parents make appts to visit and they didnt bother turning up. Fuming!!! Best of luck. I am sure we will get somebody eventually xx

megan_2011
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
Just as I was losing hope something was telling me to hang in there so I did and I have finally had some enquiry's and booked a visit and waiting for a reply about another visit and waiting for a reply about after school care. So fingers crossed it will carry on and fingers crossed it will pick up for everyone else. :)

JCrakers
05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
Good news

The trouble is getting started. Most of my enquiries come from recommendations from parents I work with. A lot of parents like to hear of someone else that the person they are leaving their children with is trustworthy etc. there's nothing better than word of mouth. Hopefully is you get these children, others may come along soon after :D

miffy
05-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Just as I was losing hope something was telling me to hang in there so I did and I have finally had some enquiry's and booked a visit and waiting for a reply about another visit and waiting for a reply about after school care. So fingers crossed it will carry on and fingers crossed it will pick up for everyone else. :)

That's great news - hope it all works out for you

Miffy xx

Diana67
06-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi Megan
I know how you feel I was realy excited about becoming a childminder but as time goes by Im wondering if I made right choice.I have paid out at least £3000 to get my house in order I have playroom lots of toys everything in place.I have adverticed anywhere thats free ,shop windows,childcare.co.uk,childminding forum,gumtree,netmums ,800 leaflet drop .I am doing endless course and only had 1 enquery fron childcare.co.uk but nothing come of it.I realy want to do this but feel so dishearted that im putting all this effort in and have a lot to offer and getting nothing back.My hubby is supporting and Iv said I give it a year but thats a year with no money if I dont suceed and I have chance of a job in security £8hr some will say go to the job others will say stick with the childcare and it will happen I just got such a headache dont know what to do part of me says take job other part says wait it out my hubby says its my decision.I realy dont know sorry for the rant but know how hard it is for us newbies people forget the the ones that have been doing it years were newbies once.:(:(:cool: