PDA

View Full Version : Parents signing register & accounts book

mum2two
26-05-2008, 02:30 PM
Following on from the accident form thread, I was wondering if it is a requirement for the parents to sign the registers & accounts book.

Parents were signing my accounts book last year, but that was only because I was using the NCMA one that came with my start up Grant. This year I am purchasing a package on excel that calculates everything for you. You just input the hours worked, and it calculates the % of everything. So I won't have an income book to put it on. It will all just go straight onto this excel package.

I don't give my parents receipts, :blush: . Never have, and parents don't ask for them. If I get one of those carbon copy receipt books, is this ok instead of getting them to sign a book?

Also, the register. Why do the parents have to sign it? We don't for our kids at playschool, & you don't have to at Nurseries, so why do parents have to sign it at ours? I always forget, and end up getting parents to sign loads in one go?

If I make my own up, rather than the NCMA book, do I have to have a space for Parents? I was thinking of doing monthly ones, with all the kids names listed. Date across the top, and I can put start & end time for each child...?

Thanks

Kelly x

vix84
26-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Id be interested to know abou this too - anyone???

I get the parents to sign to confirm hours attended in the NCMA register, but I dont give them reciepts for payments, unless it was cash for example - my reasoning is because they pay by cheque or by internet transfer along with vouchers - so if ever I needed to prove my income Im sure the banks could pull up the statement. Maybe its also a good idea to keep a copy of your bank statments and highlight the payments going in and who they are from, just incase (note to myself to also do that:) ) So I dont get them to sign the accounts book either.

I think I remember something about a friend of mine who childminds being reminded by Ofsted to get the register (NCMA) one signed by parents weekly - but I could be wrong and dont know why?

Im also not renewing my ncma membership, but I am being cheeky and will either copy their forms, or I will photocopy them before I use them up:o

crazybones
26-05-2008, 04:46 PM
I cant get my parents to sign anything. They dont sign my book normally but I am going to make it a requirement from September. I dont give a receipt except to one mum who pays me the same amount by vouchers every 4 weeks in a sort of rolling payment. It is just in case we loose track of how much under or over we are that month.

miffy
26-05-2008, 04:54 PM
I use my own register sheet not NCMA ones because I got fed up of paying the price.

I sign the children in and out each day not the parents - it isn't a legal requirement for parents to sign their children in and out but it is a legal requirement that we keep a record of the names and times of those attending the setting.

Ofsted were quite happy with my paperwork (which is all my own work now).

As for receipts I don't give them - I always ask parents when they start if they want a receipt but most don't.

I can see the reasons why you should give one but if parents don't want it and you don't want even more paper to store then why bother.

miffy xx

disney
26-05-2008, 05:22 PM
i only sign the mindees in & out not the parents . but thy do sign the accounts book for tax purposes. i dont give receipts to parents but one parents askes for one every week as she as said she has to send them off but im not sure why really x

angeldelight
26-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I do the same as Miffy

Angel xx

katickles
26-05-2008, 05:24 PM
I have the NCMA attendance register & so far my parents do sign it weekly, so thats ok.

For receipts - I have a carbon receipt book & i stick there copy in the back of there daily diaries - that way they can't say they never got one.

:)

buildingblocks
13-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I don't give my parents receipts, :blush: . Never have, and parents don't ask for them. If I get one of those carbon copy receipt books, is this ok instead of getting them to sign a book?

i invoice my parents but the only reciept they get from me for payment is one from a carbon copy cheapo book from the local newsagents. I just put received from Mr and Mrs for childcare services invoice then number of it and then the amount. I get a carbon so I know they have recived the top copy even if as I know half of them never read the invoices lol Monday morning first comment from parent how much is it I owe you ARGGHHH

Also, the register. Why do the parents have to sign it? We don't for our kids at playschool, & you don't have to at Nurseries, so why do parents have to sign it at ours? I always forget, and end up getting parents to sign loads in one go?

I never remembered to get my NCMA one signed and now use signing in sheet so this covers it now lol

If I make my own up, rather than the NCMA book, do I have to have a space for Parents? I was thinking of doing monthly ones, with all the kids names listed. Date across the top, and I can put start & end time for each child...?

Thanks

Kelly x

I just copied the NCMA one as I liked the format of it

sarah707
13-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I make sure parents see me writing in the attendance register if possible... and they sign it monthly (or weekly) when they have paid...

I use it like a receipt book for them.

I'm not sure if I'm reading your last comment wrong - I probably am - but I'll say it anyway... each child must have their own register page.. they can't share because of confidentiality!!

:D

littletreasures
13-06-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure if I'm reading your last comment wrong - I probably am - but I'll say it anyway... each child must have their own register page.. they can't share because of confidentiality!!

I bought my attendance register from Bev (Childminding-Treasures) and it has one page for each week with spaces for up to 7 children per page. There is not a space for parents to sign, didn't think this was necessary either.

Are you saying Sarah that your Attendance Register should have each child on a separate page per week/month?

littletreasures

flora
13-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I bought my attendance register from Bev (Childminding-Treasures) and it has one page for each week with spaces for up to 7 children per page. There is not a space for parents to sign, didn't think this was necessary either.

Are you saying Sarah that your Attendance Register should have each child on a separate page per week/month?
littletreasures

I have a brother and sister that arrive and leave at the same time.

I use the same page for them. The other sibling pair have different hours so I use a page each.

I keep a page between the two families so that keeps confidentiality :thumbsup:

buildingblocks
13-06-2008, 06:19 PM

littletreasures

The NCMA register has one page per child and and that is how I do my own ones as they are then stored in the childs folder. My signing in sheet though is one for the week and everybody signs in on one sheet Ofsted were fine with this. To me it isn't a problem as most of them arrive at the same time anyway so know what time so and so arrived.

Blaze
13-06-2008, 07:11 PM
Each child should have a seperate page for the attendance register...& it's best practice to have parents sign your attendence register...especially if you ever have to go to court/have a complaint against you...it can make all the difference...:)

There has been some question over receipts issued to parents...It was a question that was asked at my inspection...though at the time i didn't think too much of it...I have since found this:

•Childminders must record and give receipts for money received from parents.

taken from the below link:

www.surestart.gov.uk/_doc/P0000472.doc

bubbly
13-06-2008, 07:40 PM
It's definitely NOT a requirement to get the register signed but it's considered good practice.

I use a carbon copy receipt book but don't ask parents to sign.

manjay
13-06-2008, 08:56 PM
My inspector also advised it is not a legal requirement for parents to sign the attendance register (only speaking from a Welsh point of view). However I like to dot all the I's and cross all the T's so I have an attendance register with a page for each child (confidentiality) I get parents to sign this at the end of each month (to cover my back) and I issue cheapy carbon copy receipts for all money received (mostly as a double check for my accounts)

sarah707
13-06-2008, 09:17 PM
littletreasures

Been answered already by pauline, but yes, a page each :D

mum2two
13-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, but in response to my own question, I think you should get the attendance register signed by parents.

I have a non paying parent, and I received my claim pack from the NCMA solicitors.

I have to fill in all this stuff, and one of the things it asks for are the attendance registers signed by the parents. :panic:

Well, at the end of the day, the contract is they pay for the contracted hours, whether the child comes or not, so whether I have a signed attendance sheet should make no difference, as I should be getting paid for the weekly hours on the contract... :rolleyes:

So I think in future, I now have my own sheets, which I think I'm going to get the parents to sign at the end of the month - just to cover me for the future!

Kelly x

littletreasures
13-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Wasted my money then.

I'm going to have to spend the weekend making a new one with a page for each child then. I think I'll make a separate bit for payments to get the parents to sign to say they have paid.

littletreasures