PDA

View Full Version : Alternate days how would you charge?

eXplorers 11
19-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Hi I'm fairly new to childminding and not sure how to handle this one Mum wants me to do a Friday every week and alternate Wednesdays and Thursdays.

So one week the child would do Wednesday and Friday one week and the next they would do Thursday and Friday.

How would you go about charging for this?

loocyloo
19-02-2012, 07:10 PM
hi there, and welcome.

well ... it would depend on what spaces you had and how busy you wanted to be...

i would probably charge full fees for 2 days a week, and half fees for the 3rd day a week as long as they were full days. anything less than full days i would charge full fees for the 3 days, as by keeping one day a week available, you are possibly not being able to take on another child.

good luck x

eXplorers 11
19-02-2012, 07:19 PM
It was full days and I proposed to mum exactly what you said but she didn't understand why i wanted to charge her extra. Anyway she really wasn't happy and now i'm feeling upset as she is only my third client and i don't want to put her off :(

loocyloo
19-02-2012, 08:04 PM
oh dear, i can see why mum would be unhappy and that would make you unhappy, but you need to explain to mum that you can only have 3 children under the age of 5, and that if she isn't using ( and paying ) for that day, they you are losing income. also, she isn't paying you for 'nothing', she is paying so that you keep the other day available for her.

i would think that the majority of childminders would charge the same, or would even charge full fees for the 3 days.

xxx

eXplorers 11
19-02-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks very much for you help. I think mum would have tried to find somebody else if I made her pay a retainer and at the moment I am finding it so hard to get clients and really didn't want to lose her but we have agreed if it comes to the point that I may have to turn somebody away to keep one of those days open for her we will discuss matters again.

lucyD
19-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I was in a similar position where a nurse wanted one day a week but it changed all the time, so could be a monday one week a thurs the next. I have no mindees so want the work but had to turn her down as realistically she would be paying for one day but I would need to keep 5 days available for her as could never accept another child!! Things are never simple, where are all the mums that want 3 days a week 8-5!!?? aaaaah!! good luck