PDA

View Full Version : Registering as food premises?

ManicMum
18-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Hello

I have just completed my annual return. It asks if I have registered with the council as a food business. I said no. Then it asks why not? So I just said I am not a food business.

I could swear here and indeed, I did. Is this right? Am I supposed to be registered with the council? Does that entail more paperwork and inspections? Because if it does, I am giving up childminding. For the amount I earn, it isn't worth it. Having to do tax return, inspections, annual returns etc when this week I earned £7.50 is ridiculous (2 hrs work). These regulatory bodies have got to realise that we are paid peanuts and as such, it is unfair to keep putting more and more requirements upon us. I want to work and be independent, but I may as well just not do childminding and get more back from tax credits instead. Not the right attitude, I agree but all this aggro for £7.50 a week. No thanks.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

lorimac
18-02-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes, you now have to register with your local council as a registered food business if you supply food or even heat up food supplied. You will have an initial inspection from the council then yearly I think afterwards. Paperwork for this is quite minimal but agree its a pita

sarah707
19-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Yes you are a food business - yes you need to register.

You might not get an inspection - it depends where you live. However you do need to complete a copy of 'Safer Food Better Business for childminders'.

Hth :D

zippy
19-02-2012, 08:21 PM
Annual return? ? What's that? Ive never had one of them

sarah707
19-02-2012, 08:33 PM

It depends on where you live - some local authorities have them for their childminders to check everyone has the right skills and knowledge and to plan courses for the coming year :D

sarahjane
20-02-2012, 02:40 PM
I registered a couple of months ago and they came out to inspect me, took about 10 minutes to do and when I asked how often they came I was told that it's supposed to be yearly but because as childminders we are considered low risk that I would get a phonecall to see if anything had changed and that would surfice.
They were lovely and didn't even mind the dogs being in the kitchen as long as I had procedures in place to cover that. (I was really worried about the dogs)

danasdaycare
23-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Hi,

I am in Edinburgh, did quick call to council office, sent me handy pack. Forms to fill in. No inspection to date.

I also did food hygiene course. Yes you do need to food probe and keep fridge within norms etc, but I class it as part of the job as started at same time as CM started really.

If you are only earning that amount, yes maybe another job is the way to go if advertising etc has been exhausted.

Good luck

danasdaycare
23-02-2012, 07:37 PM

In Scotland from 2012 all registered childminders have to do them. We were advised if not, then we get a 1 for management aspect of our service.

anita howarth
23-02-2012, 07:39 PM
Hello

I have just completed my annual return. It asks if I have registered with the council as a food business. I said no. Then it asks why not? So I just said I am not a food business.

I could swear here and indeed, I did. Is this right? Am I supposed to be registered with the council? Does that entail more paperwork and inspections? Because if it does, I am giving up childminding. For the amount I earn, it isn't worth it. Having to do tax return, inspections, annual returns etc when this week I earned £7.50 is ridiculous (2 hrs work). These regulatory bodies have got to realise that we are paid peanuts and as such, it is unfair to keep putting more and more requirements upon us. I want to work and be independent, but I may as well just not do childminding and get more back from tax credits instead. Not the right attitude, I agree but all this aggro for £7.50 a week. No thanks.

Just needed to get that off my chest.

no you dont have too i had an inspection today and asked the same question , she said no you `ll just get bogged down with even more paper work :clapping::clapping:

anita howarth
23-02-2012, 07:42 PM

does she mean annual tax return ??? or annual child return :laughing: just in stupid mood , haven`t slept for 3 days inspection today received a gOOD

dette
23-02-2012, 07:50 PM
No inspection for me.i just gave them a call and they sent out a form with a food safety leaflet.i returned form and that was it :)

ManicMum
25-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Hello!

Annual return is due beginning of the year. It's statistics mainly - how many children do you look after, what ages etc. Separate to pre-inspection return. This is in Scotland. Unless my inspection officer tells me to do this, I'm not going to register with council. I can't stand it anymore!

thanks

Curly Quavers
03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I registered a couple of months ago and they came out to inspect me, took about 10 minutes to do and when I asked how often they came I was told that it's supposed to be yearly but because as childminders we are considered low risk that I would get a phonecall to see if anything had changed and that would surfice.
They were lovely and didn't even mind the dogs being in the kitchen as long as I had procedures in place to cover that. (I was really worried about the dogs)

I have registered in the last couple of weeks for a different reason. I am starting a fudge business from home and so registered because of that.

When I completed my annual return I wasn't yet registered and when it asked me why not I stated because I only open lunch boxes.

However when the man from Environmental Health came he did say childminders are meant to be registered now however the attitude I got from him was that they were not to fussed (more the care inspectorate)

But yes 10 minutes and he was away and like sarahjane said as childminders we are very low risk. They are just looking to see we are following best practice. So if children come with packed lunches he would like to see that they are refrigerated. I then asked why primary schools didn't have to provide fridge space for older children and he didn't have much of an answer for me. Just that it is "good practice"

It also depends on your council about how to go about registering. My council do not require you to complete 'Safer Food Better Business for childminders' it's just an a4 application form a 10 minute visit where they are just checking hygiene and that you know what you are talking about and that was it for mine.

fluff1975
11-05-2012, 07:25 AM
I've only just registered as a food business because I didn't know I had to. The woman on the phone gave me a right earfull as I've been 'operating' since last year. So I gave her an earfull back and said that if the information was more accessible or given on registration then I'd have known!

It's ridiculous that after 16 months I'm still finding out things I 'should' be doing. Surely we should be given a universal and local list of what is needed at the start of childminding, it would save a lot of frustration, phone calls and stress!

Just editing to add that I'm not in Scotland, just having a rant from Nottingham!

toddlers896
11-05-2012, 07:48 AM
I rang mine in february to register and he said they have an agreement with Ofsted that they dont have to inspect childminders anymore!

samgeordie
17-05-2012, 12:37 PM
it depends on your local council, all newly registered childminders who provide food need to register with food standards, however in my area existing childminders have been told to wait until food standards contact us, was told could take up to 3 years

kellib
17-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I sent my forms away and 2 days later I got an email saying 'that is you registered as a food business'

and that was it!

fionamal
17-05-2012, 12:48 PM
East Lothian Council are the same, its only newly registered childminders that have to apply as part of their set up and the rest of us will get seen to within the next 3 years.

We are apparently not high risk so they are not hurraying themselves to inspect us

scottishlass
02-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Hi

I am just new to this forum and still in the process of registering. For me registering as food premises was the easiest part so far!! Sent of the form sent to me by swswis to the local environmental health and then got an email to say thats me registered! :)

migimoo
02-09-2012, 10:04 PM

Phew,that's a relief-must admit i've 'filed' that paperwork as I couldn't see how they would pass my kitchen with my dog living in there.

absmum23
23-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi
I have been registered in England as a food business for the last 6 months. I have 2 cats and a dog in my kitchen at day/ night. I was asked how I deal with keeping the kitchen clean as I have tiled surfaces.
I wash down with hot soapy water every morning then use anti bac spray. Once a week I use milton as its a food bleach.
before preparing food I remove the animals from kitchen and clean down surfaces again. animals are not fed in my kitchen and I have an area for the animal food and laundry prep which no food come into contact with. cleaning of their dishes are done in the sink with animals own cloths and not in the washing up bowl.Animal food is not stored near human food.
lol I got told I was a little over the top. :laughing:
hope that helps