PDA

View Full Version : Holiday only care -ad hoc or put on a contract?

Nicadooby
17-02-2012, 07:02 AM
Hi, I've had and enquiry for cover in the holidays from the little girl I used to nanny for.

I'm not sure what is usely done as regards to what they pay for.

Is it put them on a contract as you can really take on anyone else (as they can't fit in the car) and don't wAnt weeks when they aren't used?

Or just let them use it as and ad hoc service at a higher rate?
If adhoc only how do you book them in? Ie how long in advance and do they have to pay for whole days/sessions/hourly

Thanks people x

flowerpots
17-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Ive got 2 holiday only children who fill my term time only childrens holidays spaces, I have a contract for them which states its holiday care as and when booked. Mum phones 2-3 weeks before hols to let me know what she needs and to see if i have the space. I only charge for what is 'booked'.

xxx

fleurry
17-02-2012, 07:38 AM
That's exactly what I do too !

jumping j
17-02-2012, 08:10 AM
and me! I even have 2 lo's I do this for on rare occasions during the week, as long as I've got space!!! Mum understands that's it's on the condition that there's no one else needing the space

onceinabluemoon
17-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Make sure you stipulate 'if spaces allow' into the contract and also make it clear (in the contract) that you will not hold spaces for ad hoc care and that they are on an 'as available' basis.

rickysmiths
17-02-2012, 08:14 AM
I have never had holiday only children but I have had term time only and I would do the same for both.

Full Contract so it sits there to be used. I would clearly mark that it was for care in the State School holidays in line with the dates published on your Local Education Authority Website. That you expect the parent to confirm their schools holiday and Inset Days if you are needed for them in July for the following school year in writing.

All other forms Child Info, sign permissions, agreement to Policies and Medical permissions, Parental Responsibility form etc.

I having read a few threads recently on here also have a strict booking system so no misunderstandings can occur.

So it requests information on days and hours required for the holiday.

It should be given to you at least four weeks (or the time you would be comfortable with) before the first care is required, with the full fee for that booking.

It should be clearly stated that after the booking has been made that if the parent then decides not to use some of the time they will not get a refund.

It is up to you though if you feel you would be prepared to accept a cancellation say up to a week before and maybe give half the fee back. or if you would then accept an additional booking for time.

I think the key on the threads is that you are not in a situation where a parent messes you around and expects to drop in as and when with barely a days notice.

You also need to decide if you are going to charge for outings in the holiday to cover entrance fees, fares etc. Will they need to bring their own picnic or will you provide. Sort out clothes, bags that may be needed each day.

I could not work without pre booked time, especially with older children, because I plan more special outings in the holidays. I need to know what children, how old etc to plan them because we might for instance be going into London on the tube. Likewise it would annoy me if they suddenly didn't come if I had planned and bought picnic food or ordered entrance tickets etc.

This is something I would discuss with holiday only parents. I would be charging a £1 an hour more than my normal rate for this kind of care and with the ever increasing cost of entrance fees to places like the London Aquarium. I tend to pay the fees for full timers because I don't do things like this all the time and they are paying 52 weeks a year so I can absorb the costs but for a short term Contract for only a max of 13 weeks a year I think I would ask for entrance fee on top and I would want them paid on the day.

Nicadooby
17-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Thanks everyone :-) I'm meeting mum later this morning to chat about prices

I'm definalty going to get her to pay in advance as although I know she is a great payer, when I was her nanny she would swap and change my hours at short notice and I hated it.

I was thinking of giving her three options either:

pay for the whole holidays at £4 (my normal rate) per hour,

or use an ad hoc service at £6 (bookable in advance) she used to pay me £8 (plus tax and NI so more like £10) per hour so still cheaper than I was but doesn't have to pay me my holidays anymore.

Or lastly charge her £5 per hour for hours used in the holiday but charge her a 50% retainer for days she doesn't use

Do you take a deposit to keep a place for the next holidays or just contact them a month in advance of them?

Just wondered if you charge per hour or day or session? If you charge per hour do you have a minimum amount of hours per day?

rickysmiths
17-02-2012, 03:02 PM
I take a four weeks fees Deposit on signing a contract from every parent and hold it until the end of the contract when it is used to cover the Notice period. This way no parent can leave without paying this.

How and what to charge depends on how often she intends to use you and what you want to do. Does she literally want odd days as and when or does she want a regular 3 days a week?

If she wants a regular number of the same days every week then I would still want this booked a month before the holidays and the weeks confirmed. if it was this regular I would take the deposit and expect payment in full for the care at the time of booking except maybe the summer holidays where I might divide the payment into two chunks, one when booking and the second on 1st August.

flowerpots
17-02-2012, 06:54 PM
How did it go hun? :)

Nicadooby
17-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks again everyone.

Well she said she'd like cover for about 3 days a week (she's always been a bit flakey) as she's got a friend who's going to look after the little girl two day's a week.

I said the different options of paying methods to her and she said whatever I think is best, she was even happy to pay me £8 per hour (what i got from nannying).

I think what i'm going to do is ask her to pay a daily rate of £50 for 3 days per week, wether she choses to uses the days or not, if she needs me extra days then they will on an adhoc basis and be charged at the daily rate. I know this is more than my normal daily rate is but she did delight in telling me how well paid her new job is going to be. To be fair it's still alot cheaper than employing me as her nanny :)