PDA

View Full Version : Medicine permission

wendy72
14-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice please. I have a new mindee who started last week. She is 9 months and has reflux. For my other children I use the NCMA medicine permission forms as noone else has it regularly, but as this child has medicine every day ( gaviscon and omeprezole) I got mum to write me a letter stating medication, permission, dose, time etc. i also write in child's diary each time I've given her some. Is this enough? Just trying to cut down on the paperwork! Thanks.

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 08:47 PM
If you have the NCMA Accident Incident and Medication Folder you should have a sheet

Section 1 Permission to administer medicine or treatment over an extended period of time or continuous treatment/therapies (eg treating asthma)

It says that this section should be used to record treatment over an extended period of time or continuous treatment.

It goes on to say, No matter how minor the treatment it is important to record:

1. Name of Medication or full description of Treatment
2. Dose to be given or the duration of the treatment/therapy
3. Time at which the medicine or treatment/therapy should be administered
4.Date and time last dose was given or treatment ended
5 Any adverse reaction to the medicine or treatments

Use a separate sheet for each medication or treatment.

There may be occasions when it is necessary for the childminder to receive training in order to carry out the treatment/therapy required. this training should be specific to the child and carried out by a medical professional. Make a record of this training.

If there is any difference between the routine treatment and the treatment required in an emergency, this should also be recorded.

The sheet records all these details and have a section for the parents and one for the childminder to record when medicine or treatment is given.

If you don't have any of these sheets in your folder you can order them from NCMA. They come in a pack with Accident Forms and Permission to administer a short course of medicine or treatment.

The sheets can stick together so i would suggest you go through the ones you have and check you haven't missed this one. In all there are 6 different forms in the folder numbered 1 to 6.

wendy72
15-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the reply. All of the above info I record in the child's diary which goes home each day (time, dose etc) I do have the NCMA continuous treatment forms but as this child would require 2 forms with 6 signatures required each day (she has 2 doses of gaviscon each day and 1 dose of omeprazole) it seems a lot of hassle to ask parents to sign when quite often they just want to pick up and go, not even wanting to come into the house sometimes. I realise that it's important to record this information, it just seems bit silly to repeat it when I have enough paperwork to do.

rickysmiths
15-02-2012, 10:14 PM
Hassle or not you have to do it. It is very important that the record is signed and kept by you. It should not go home with the parents, what happens if they loose it or forget to bring it one day?

It should be filled in in the morning before the parents leave with any doses from the night before and early morning and you have to fill it in and sign during the day and get the parents to initial. It is vital in case there is any case of an over dose.

I know it is a bit of a hassle I have had two children with Reflux it would be with any continuous med or treatment. It should be part of the routine with these parents and they should be pleased that you are being so professional. It is all to do with expectation and if you present this routine to the parents as a necessary part of the routine they will except it.

If you are insured by NCMA you will probably find that you are not covered if anything were to go wrong with this child and the medication.

Ofsted won't be very impressed either.

Sorry.

Mollymop
16-02-2012, 07:52 AM
You will have to record it properly on a medication form.
I too had a child who needed Gaviscon every day at bottle, it was a pain to keep recording it and getting mum to sign but it has to be done to cover myself.
Child was only on Gaviscon from 6 months til 12 months anyway, so you hopefully wont have to fill in a form for too much longer??

If you record it in child's dairy only, what if diary goes missing/parents often forget diaries and can lose them - then you have no record of past dosages etc.

hth xx

wendy72
16-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies, I am assuming I can do my own forms as long as it has the required info on it.

Mollymop
16-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the replies ladies, I am assuming I can do my own forms as long as it has the required info on it.

yes you can x:)

rickysmiths
16-02-2012, 11:02 PM

Check with NCMA if you are a member. The insurance may not cover you if you don't use their form. Also if you have the NCMA ones already why re invent the wheel?