PDA

View Full Version : Are these things safe...

jw19nr
24-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Hello. I have spend the day with my Dad who came over to childproof the House ready for my pre-reg on wed. I have done loads but there are still a few things I was unsure about:

My PC desk: it has a cupboard at the bottom with the PC etc in and then a flap down part for the screen, keyboard etc. Will this be OK with no Locks? It was quite expensive so don't really want to drill locks on etc!

Stuff ontop of wardrobes in bedroom, mainly storage boxes full of mainly baby stuff?

My Windows - we put child locks on our playroom windows as they have wooden frames, open wide etc. But the rest of our house is newly double glazed - can we just lock these with a key and not open the big windows when the children are around?

Toiletries in bedrooms - where do you put them? Do I need cupboard locks in there too? And same with DDs nappy cream, baby oils etc?

mum2two
24-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Hello. I have spend the day with my Dad who came over to childproof the House ready for my pre-reg on wed. I have done loads but there are still a few things I was unsure about:

My PC desk: it has a cupboard at the bottom with the PC etc in and then a flap down part for the screen, keyboard etc. Will this be OK with no Locks? It was quite expensive so don't really want to drill locks on etc!

Stuff ontop of wardrobes in bedroom, mainly storage boxes full of mainly baby stuff?

My Windows - we put child locks on our playroom windows as they have wooden frames, open wide etc. But the rest of our house is newly double glazed - can we just lock these with a key and not open the big windows when the children are around?

Toiletries in bedrooms - where do you put them? Do I need cupboard locks in there too? And same with DDs nappy cream, baby oils etc?

I have lockable windows, and ofsted were happy that they were just locked. Mine have childproof bits on them, where they can't be opened much, without pressing another button.

My bedroom I have a hook & eye on the door, so kids can't get in there. Same on my bathroom. Means I don't have to make sure I've always moved EVERYTHING!!!

With you DD's stuff, can you not just put a shelf up high, where kids can't reach. Plus if you;ve got a stairgate to stop them going upstairs/in the room, then that should cover it.

Not sure about the PC cupboard. My PC's just on an open desk. Ofsted didn't say anyhing. I think as long as it's not hazardous, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Kelly x

jw19nr
24-05-2008, 06:54 PM
But I want my upstairs registered too? So I can use it for sleep

sarah707
24-05-2008, 07:10 PM
Hello. I have spend the day with my Dad who came over to childproof the House ready for my pre-reg on wed.

Lucky you! What a nice dad!

I have done loads but there are still a few things I was unsure about:

Make sure the cables are right out of the way and risk assess it with everything else in the room. Should be fine.... mine are on open units and it's never been an issue

If it's overhanging and looks dangerous, make it safe. otherwise should be fine. You don't have to register every bedroom, just the one you're wanting to use maybe? The rest you can lock.

That's what I do with mine - just open the tiplers at the top.

Out of sight and reach or locked away - up to you.

Hope this helps! :D

MissTinkerbell
25-05-2008, 10:57 AM
I've got DS and DD2s nappy creams in a basket on top of linen basket in downstairs toilet - Ofsted seemed quite happy with this as I have a lock on the door.

miffy
25-05-2008, 03:08 PM
You've already had great advice

Don't forget the inspector will help you at your pre-reg so don't worry too much

miffy xx

chez1373
27-05-2008, 04:15 PM
Sorry nothing to add didnt want to read and run sorry good luck things will be fine i worried too but it wasnt as bad as you think xx

fishbones1
30-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Don't worry too much, you don't need to be well prepared for pre reg, I wasn't and all was ok.

They will ask questions if they have concerns and you can give answers or say you will have that done, thats what I did.

I was asked to complete an action plan, they wanted me to fit another smoke alarm and list what toys I will have for various ages. Other than that nothing was done, and I just mentioned what I was planning on doing.

Its not worth doing it all just in case the worst happens and they don't register you, my inspector said they don't expect everything to be done before pre reg visit as this is what the visit is for.

Sorry for long post, hope this helps.