PDA

View Full Version : Olympics Warning!

rickysmiths
13-02-2012, 06:23 PM
Something that has come to light this weekend in another area of my life but would apply to cms as well.

Please do not use any Olympic logos or the Olympic Rings on any of your own activities, so for colouring or cutting out and putting on posters or on cakes. That was how I heard about this.

The British Sugarcraft Guild are having a big show and Cake competitions in May and they were going to have the Olympics as the theme for all the cake decorating and sugar flower displays. The IOC has told them that if they use any of the logos or the Olympic rings on anything, bearing in mind it isn't even for sale, they will take them to Court.

I think I have heard it all now. I am personally totally fed up with the Olympics. Living just outside London we are getting all the nonsense over the traffic, trains etc. I feel really sorry for all the businesses and people who live in and a round the area.

All this money and fuss for 10 days :eek:

It has got totally out of proportion and I for one will now not be doing any activities to do with the Olympics especially as we now can't use any of the symbols.

miffy
13-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Oh for pity's sake!

I think we should rebel - they can't prosecute all of us! :laughing:

Miffy xx

Mouse
13-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Well, I will use the Olympic symbol as much as I like and if they want to come and take me to court over it, they're very welcome to try :laughing::laughing:

I am sure they will have more to do than chase after us chilminders and sue us all for breech of copyright :D

But thanks for the warning :thumbsup::laughing:

Playmate
13-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I'm extremely glad I will be in Greece for most of it :D

Unfortunately one of my poor parents can't have any of the 3 weeks off that we are having as they work for the met police. Her job has nothing to do with any of it but all leave is cancelled :angry: Poor little chap is having to stay grandparents for 2 weeks :( as dad is self employed.

Ripeberry
13-02-2012, 06:52 PM
They can take a running jump. It should only apply to people who try and make a PROFIT out of the symbol. What are they going to take school kids or school teachers to court because little Johnny wanted to paint the rings?
Have they not got anything better to do? :mad:

rickysmiths
13-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Well if they are prepared to take the Sugarcraft guild to Court don't count on on it. They only have 1000 members. How many cms are there?

I think the best way is just to ignore the whole stupid expensive affair. I'm sure the original Greeks are turning in their graves. It is just a lot of silly commercial nonsense these days and I wish Paris had won it. I'm very glad I am no longer a Greater London Council Tax payer.

Mollymop
13-02-2012, 07:45 PM
I love the olympics, it is the only sporting event I actually enjoy watching, but I can understant it being seen as an inconvience and a waste of tax payer money etc etc, but still I have a soft spot for it.

Regarding the logo, i'm still gonna use it to decorate my setting - I am not going to be profiting from it so I don't think they can do anything about little ol' me

Jiorjiina
13-02-2012, 08:14 PM
It's totally in the spirit of the games, isn't it?!

:rolleyes:

betty boop
13-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Are they for real or what if your not going to be making any money out of using the logos then whats the problem ???????????????????????????

louise
13-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I assume they will be doing the same to all the sites that offer Olympic crafts ect as if you google Olympics lots will come up. It will mean every school, Scout group, youth group ect all being taken to court.

chez
13-02-2012, 09:21 PM
we were given guidelines on this a good while ago in girlguiding and yes its a total no go. They seem to be being v strict on it

Pipsqueak
13-02-2012, 10:26 PM
ssshhh don;t tell our dance school - show this weekend!! lol

seriously though.... SERIOUSLY????:eek::eek:

Tits!

Mouse
13-02-2012, 10:29 PM

Tits!

O..M...G...

Have you got a death wish or something...

:eek::eek::eek:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

stardust
13-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Ill ask my parent about it tomorrow, she's a solicitor so I will ask her where we would all stand on it xx

Monkey1
14-02-2012, 05:47 AM
One of my Parents is working with teenagers on a young enterprise scheme, the kids made mugs (i bought 2:cool:) they have been dobed in by one of the parents of the children they are trying to help!:rolleyes:
But seriously......can they tell us off for painting paperplates in different colours and linking them together??? Im still doing it!:D The Olympics is world sport....it doesnt belong to one moneygrabbing association.... we are teaching the children about world happenings, places, flags etc....so they can do one!:cool:

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Well I'm afraid we could be and as your friends have found. It would seem the Olympic powers that be are guarding their Copyright very stridently.

This is were I have a problem with the modern Olympics. They are so commercial, so dictating that I think they have actually lost sight of what the spirit of the games is all about.

I can't believe the disruption to London for just 10 days, you would think this thing was going on for the whole year. Also the madness in this economic climate of things like digging up Greenwich Park to create a Cross Country Course when there are perfectly good ones at places like Badminton that are all set up and ready to go and are world renowned as courses. How do they justify that? It is financial madness and actually by moving it out of London it would have eased the congestion. The sailing isn't in London, nor is the Kayaking so why Cross Country?

ajs
14-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Something that has come to light this weekend in another area of my life but would apply to cms as well.

Please do not use any Olympic logos or the Olympic Rings on any of your own activities, so for colouring or cutting out and putting on posters or on cakes. That was how I heard about this.

The British Sugarcraft Guild are having a big show and Cake competitions in May and they were going to have the Olympics as the theme for all the cake decorating and sugar flower displays. The IOC has told them that if they use any of the logos or the Olympic rings on anything, bearing in mind it isn't even for sale, they will take them to Court.

I think I have heard it all now. I am personally totally fed up with the Olympics. Living just outside London we are getting all the nonsense over the traffic, trains etc. I feel really sorry for all the businesses and people who live in and a round the area.

All this money and fuss for 10 days :eek:

It has got totally out of proportion and I for one will now not be doing any activities to do with the Olympics especially as we now can't use any of the symbols.
How on earth would they know, or care for that matter. They've never stopped us before and I shouldn't think they'd stop us this year

Tink
14-02-2012, 07:35 AM
The Olympics are coming to London, our city it's a huge celebration for England to have this in our country.
The children we mind will want to be involved and the rings are the Olympic symbol, if we don't use them how can we teach the children?

They do take things a little too far!

FussyElmo
14-02-2012, 08:39 AM

Tits!

The last show my dd was in had lots of olympic references and there was no OLYMPIC big brother at the sides jumping out at us :)

Craziness I hope they have enough jobsworths to go into every school, nursery, preschoo, childminder, and any other organisation to check what we are using,

Mouse
14-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Having laughed about the stupidness of it all, I have to be honest & say I won't be using the official Olympic logo in anything any as I think it's horrible!
We'll use the rings, but not the logo :thumbsup:

mama2three
14-02-2012, 08:50 AM
If they fancy coming over and policing my garden in the summer they will find hula hoops fastened together and hanging - lots of athletics equipment ( mini hurdles , turbo javelins , long jump pit...) DS1 and 3 have it all planned!

MAWI
14-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Me too Mama2three. I think it's outrageous. I will be covering the Olympics and having all sorts of games and activities. I won't use the official logo but they can't stop us drawing the circles etc...or anything that Is downloadable. I'm not profiting from it.
Last time, we had a scrapbook full of Olympic activities that we covered. We had a timetable of different events every day after school and the younger ones were able to join the older children as we split into different teams(as countries) We learnt about all the different countries, listend to their national anthems,languages, flags, cultures. Children made their own flags, medals and we had an opening ceremony. Tremendous fun... Can't wait.

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 02:00 PM
How on earth would they know, or care for that matter. They've never stopped us before and I shouldn't think they'd stop us this year

Have you read Monkeys Post about the mugs?

They way they are behaving I'd rather just not do anything. I will concentrate on the Jubilee celebrations and prob take some of my holiday during the Olympics anyway.

rickysmiths
14-02-2012, 02:03 PM
Having laughed about the stupidness of it all, I have to be honest & say I won't be using the official Olympic logo in anything any as I think it's horrible!
We'll use the rings, but not the logo :thumbsup:

The rings are also subject to copyright though.

Daftbat
14-02-2012, 03:50 PM
So let me get this straight.

If little Johnny and little Mickey decide to paint circles intertwined and just ahppen to use the same colours as the Olympic rings then they will be in trouble? Especially if its a purely Child Led activity?

I give up!!!!!!!!!!