PDA

View Full Version : Can we sign passports?

Cazz
13-02-2012, 03:42 PM
One of my parents has just phoned and asked me this and I don't know the answer!

Obviously I know them very well and she wondered if I could because I have my own business?

wendywu
13-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Yes we can , i have done any times and other minders do my own families :thumbsup:

Cazz
13-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes we can , i have done any times and other minders do my own families :thumbsup:

Thank you - do you have to have known them for a certain amount of time though?

They have been with me since September.

Tink
13-02-2012, 03:54 PM
No you can't. I phoned when mine needed renewing to see if my CM friend could sign and they said no, it must be someone of authority,
These are examples of the type of person that would be suitable:

accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of recognised company
bank/building society official
barrister
chairman/director of limited company
chiropodist
commissioner of oaths
councillor (local or county)
civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
dentist
director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer (with professional qualifications)
financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
licensee of public house
local government officer
manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy officer
minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
nurse (RGN and RMN)
officer of the armed services (active or retired)
optician
paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
pharmacist
photographer (professional)
police officer
Post Office official
president/secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher, lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent (qualified)
valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

Cazz
13-02-2012, 03:57 PM
Oh right - now I'm really confused!! :laughing:

Tink
13-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I phoned last month hun to check and they said no to CM friend and gave me the above list of suitable people.

I was amazed:eek:

Cazz
13-02-2012, 04:03 PM
I phoned last month hun to check and they said no to CM friend and gave me the above list of suitable people.

I was amazed:eek:

Okay thanks.

I don't know whether to be offended though! I am a person of authority - just ask the children!!

Tink
13-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Okay thanks.

I don't know whether to be offended though! I am a person of authority - just ask the children!!

I know what you mean it's stupid, my friend has known me for years, how many funeral directors or airline pilots do you know?

Cazz
13-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I know what you mean it's stupid, my friend has known me for years, how many funeral directors or airline pilots do you know?

Actually someone I went to school with who's a facebook friend is married to a funeral director :D

I don't know any airline pilots personally though!

Tink
13-02-2012, 04:11 PM
Well there you go then, give your friend a call and ask him to sign it, what a laugh all this to get a passport:blush:

RainbowMum
13-02-2012, 04:15 PM
if you are level 3 qualified then you are considered a proffessional and can sign, I have signed 2 so far and they have been issued - think it depends who you get at the passport office when you phone as to what answer you get - but I dont think the phone operators are the ones who process the applications.....

Cazz
13-02-2012, 04:18 PM
Well there you go then, give your friend a call and ask him to sign it, what a laugh all this to get a passport:blush:

No - the passports are for minded child's family and I don't think they know him :laughing:

Rainbow Mum - I'm not level 3 qualified yet (hopefully I will be in August), I still think I'm a professional though but obviously not in the eyes of the passport office :rolleyes:

mama2three
13-02-2012, 05:13 PM
You definitely can!
I signed several - one was picked up as spot check and they contacted me , i thought they were saying I shouldnt have signed but it was just a double check which they do randomly.
They said if ever questioned we should give as reg no as being part of a professional organisation.
Sounds like the left hand doesnt know what the right hands doing. Any other organisations we can think of that are similar?:rolleyes::D

onceinabluemoon
13-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Thank you - do you have to have known them for a certain amount of time though?

They have been with me since September.

Yes, I believe it is two years and as you haven't known them that long you will be committing fraud if you sign the passport application. (sorry)

Twinkles
13-02-2012, 05:40 PM
As wendy said we've done it many times.

Mollymop
13-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Yes you can. I have done many over the 4 years I have been minding and all have been fine.

My childminding friend signed my children's last May and they came back fine as well.

So yes you defo can :)

We are seen as professionals as we have been checked by Ofsted who is our registering body x

cher25
13-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Yes you can sign passports applications. I have done it for a couple of families now and had the passport office phone to double check information and they recieved there passports. :)

Babycat
13-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Im sure business owners can anyway as the man in the ice cream van does them too :O £10 a signature haha

Kelly
13-02-2012, 09:12 PM
When one of my parents asked I phoned to check and was told no! very confusing, maybe the passport office should rename themselves OFSTED :laughing:

onceinabluemoon
13-02-2012, 09:16 PM
This website may be useful for parent. You must have known the person for two years and there is a list of the sort of people but it is not exhaustive.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174151

PixiePetal
13-02-2012, 09:17 PM
MY DD needs a passport, I am hoping the boy I was a nanny for will sign it - he is a barrister now :thumbsup: