PDA

View Full Version : Charging while child at nursery??

Lucinda
13-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Ive just had my first parent round to discuss and organise childcare for her two children...exciting!!!

Her older child will need to be dropped off and picked up from Nursery.

Talking money is so difficult, and I could see the mother was getting a bit flustered about it, which in turn made me feel a bit awkward. So without really thinking I said the charge for this child would be the bit before and after nursery.

I'm sure when I looked into it a little while ago, many childminders charge for the whole day even time spent at nursery. Is this generally the case? If so, how do I now go about telling the parent that actually i'll want more money?!Wont the child be getting free entitlement at nursery anyway?

ChocolateChip
13-02-2012, 02:54 PM
I still charge for the time they are at nursery because you can't fill the space for such a short time.
However, starting cming is a bit of a learning curve and we've all done things we should have thought about a bit more!
Can you afford to keep it at the rate you've said to the mum, in the interests of getting a good customer to start off with? ( a bird in the hand?)
Just thinking that it may be worth taking a hit on this one to get some business coming in, then you will know not to do it again! You could say you are doing it as a special offer to her as your first customer, then it won't apply to the younger child if you still have them when they go to nursery.

Forgot to ask, what hours does he do at the nursery?

sunflower
13-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I charge full fee while at nursey or pre-school for the reasons above. its wrap around care. i would speak to mum and say sorry you have got it wrong and that as you drop off and collect from nursery fee will be charges, explain that you cannot take another child on for the hours at nursery. also explain that if nursey is closed at any time you could still have him as shes paying for the space.

Lucinda
13-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Thank you for this!

This is what i'm wondering, just let it go in order to get things going as my first customer.

There has been so much back-and-forth of phone calls/emails with the mother about charges, and eventually a visit today (its obvious she's really flustered by money, could be she's just trying to get all the facts and she's under pressure from the hubbie?!). We kept going round and round in circles with me having to explain it all several times, so i'm just worried that if I now say 'oh by the way, I forgot to say - I will actually require payment while your older one is at nursery', she'll just go into melt down and turn down the place!

Nursery is 8.30-3.30, being dropped off to mine at 8, i'll then collect and she'll stay until 6 - so I said i'll charge for the period before and after, so 4 hours.

ChocolateChip
13-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Ah, that's tricky, I thought you were going to say he was only there for 3 hours, not all day! Is that 5 days a week?
Tbh as a parent I would not want to pay for all that time he is not there, but as a cm he is taking up a full day space which you are now not getting paid for.
Is there a chance you could fill those hours?The downside is if she wants full days in the holidays and it clashes with another one you take on while he's at nursery.

Sorry hun, not sure what to advise now, does she need holiday care? If so I would go with what Sunflower said and tell her she needs to pay to keep the space open, or at least charge a half fee for nursery hours. How come he is in nursery all day?

sorry just realised it's a she :blush:

Demonjill
13-02-2012, 05:23 PM
It is difficult at the start and my first mindees have things set up different as we all learn as we go and tweek things to suit.:thumbsup:

I charge half fees while at nursery if im dropping off and picking up. But then nursery is just 2 1/2 hours for me here The nursery hours you are talking about are more in line with school hours - does their nursery not open early enough that you are involved in drop offs?? Again check whats to be happening all year round? You could always do an enhanced hourly/daily rate.
Sorry im not much help when im hungry lol

Talking money does get easier you just need to get your "business" head on

Well done for getting the interest from people though:thumbsup:

sunflower
13-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi I didnt realise the mindee would be at nursery all day, I thought it was just for the 3 hours - thats a bit different - I wouldnt charge either :)

ChocolateChip
13-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi I didnt realise the mindee would be at nursery all day, I thought it was just for the 3 hours - thats a bit different - I wouldnt charge either :)

I think we have both changed our minds, lol! :laughing:

sunflower
13-02-2012, 05:33 PM
I think we have both changed our minds, lol! :laughing:

:laughing::laughing: and we thought we were both being helpful lol!

miffy
13-02-2012, 06:12 PM
Is the older child taking up an under 5 space? If so you will lose a lot of income if you don't charge anything whilst they are at nursery, it's a fine line balancing that against losing the children if you do say you'll charge.

Be aware too that mum will expect you to do the same for the younger child when the time comes which is fine if you can afford to do that.

Will she need care in the holidays? At least that way you know you will get a bit of income for those weeks.

Good luck

Miffy xx