PDA

View Full Version : tax - help

vickie74
12-02-2012, 08:55 PM
Hiya fellow cm's. I started buying bits/pieces, courses registration costs, etc back in September, registered in Jan, started childminding in Feb this year. I want to know how do I go about seeing if i am owed a tax rebate, as I have logged all my expenditure to date, and it is quite a lot.

Do I need to get an accountant to do this for me??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Vickie :panic:

Minstrel
12-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Have you registered as Self Employed with HMRC? If not you need to do this now by giving them a call.

Then in April when the tax year ends you can file your Tax Return either using the paper version or online. You do not need to use an accountant for this, although you can if you wish. They are quite simple if your basic maths is ok.

Were you employed up until you started minding? If you were and you overpaid tax for the year (including what you have earnt for minding) then it is possible you will be due a rebate, otherwise you will just have a tax bill of £0.

christine e
12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Were you employed prior to Sept. Assuming so you will be able to put everything down on your tax form which you will need to complete after 6th April - if you do this online and I think it will tell you there and if you are do any rebate and pay it straight into your bank account.

You can of course pay an accountant but I think it will be simple enough for you to do yourself

Cx

vickie74
12-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Hi, I was on maternity leave, so being paid whilst on OMP and SMP and also took holiday too, which I was paid for.

I havent called HMRC as yet, do I need to do this now, and then I can complete a form from 6th April onwards?

Sorry, but this is soooo new to me.

Thanks

V x:blush:

Zoomie
12-02-2012, 10:18 PM
You do need to call HMRC and register as self employed (or you may be able to do this online ?).

Have you paid any tax on your income from your job (holiday pay / maternity pay), if so, you will probably be able to get that back, after you have submitted a tax return (after 6 April). In your tax return, you will need to do a self employed page, as well as an 'employee' page. If you do it on line, it works it all out for you.