PDA

View Full Version : Help with planning and observations

Kirsty90
12-02-2012, 04:56 PM
I have only started childminding last week and got two more mindees starting tomorrow. Is it best for me to get to know the children a little better before planning activities so I have a better idea of their likes/dislikes. Also how often should observations be done if they are only with me 2 days a week and what type of things should be included in their learning journey books?

Thanks

sarah707
12-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Goodness that's a lot of questions!! :laughing:

Yes get to know the children in the first days and weeks. However you should be able to plan already from info parents and children give you about their likes, dislikes, interests at home etc... plus of course you can plan outings in advance.

For 2 days a week I'd aim for 3 or 4 short obs / photos / pictures the child has drawn / comments from parents and child etc a month.

LJ booklet starts with 'all about me' and goes on to show obs, assessments, individual planning, comments from parents etc.

Hth :D

miffy
12-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Good advice from Sarah.

I find some months I have more observations than others, it depends what the child is doing, they might make rapid progress in one area of development and I have a lot to write then other times not much might be happening.

There's no right or wrong way of doing the journals - what you must show for Ofsted is what the child could do when they first came to you (starting points) , how they've progressed and how you have helped them to do so.

Good luck with the new starters.

Miffy xx