PDA

View Full Version : Contract signing - what would you do?

annaross
12-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Help!

I have almost secured a full time mindee to start with me at the begninning of March - I am still waiting to sign contracts with the parents!

Our initial meeting was 3 weeks ago and she expressed straight away that she wanted the place and we talked about her little boy starting in March. She said that she would arrange a time to come round with her husband to get contracts signed but I am still waiting. I have seen her about as she lives on the same estate as me and she has asked whether I can do 3 half days the week before the little boy is due to start as a settling in period. I said I would but need to get contracts signed. Our husbands are in the Army and I know that they have been away lots but only need one signature on the contract.

As this mindee would fit in with me perfectly I have turned down a few other enquiries which is probably stupid on my part as I could have potentially lost out on money.

I don't want to seem overly pushy with the Mum of the little boy I am hoping to mind but want to get contracts signed. How can I put this across to her without sounding too forceful?

Thanks,
Anna

christine e
12-02-2012, 09:37 AM
I would just simply ring her and ask if you can arrange a date and time for her to come round and sign the contract and simply explain that you need to get it sorted to secure the place - ask that the appointment is in the next day or two - if she starts to fob you off tell her that you have had other enquiries for the space and that you cannot afford to turn people away.

Cx

annaross
12-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks, I contacted her and asked if we could sign contracts within the next few days to secure a place for her son. She said that she would try to pop round towards the end of the week. Her husband is away for the next few weeks so I think she is going to continue to stall. I just sent her message after speaking to my husband and said that if her husband is away, she would be more than welcome to pop round this evening whilst he is here as it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to complete a contract. Am I right in thinking I only need one signature? I don't need her husband to sign as well so apart from him coming to see where his child would be looked after it isn't critical he is here too?

x

muffins
12-02-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes you only need one signature!

I usually offer to pop round theirs one evening that way they cant back out:laughing: Most parents find this v helpful as its easier for them:thumbsup:

annaross
12-02-2012, 11:21 AM
My husband just suggested that to me - she has agreed to come to my house tomorrow evening to go through and sign the contract. Lets just hope she doesn't cancel.

Any ideas what to do if she can't pay a full deposit?

rickysmiths
12-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Although you technically only need one signature on the contract you would then only have a contract with that person.

I always get both parents to sign every thing and then they are both responsible. Especially for the money and it means you can claim from either or both of them if fees are unpaid.

I also think it is important that they are both part of the process so they both understand your policies and procedures.

I find it usually takes at least an hour to go through the Contract and sign all the other paperwork.

I also meant to say I always continue to see parents if I have a vacancy even if one parent has shown an interest. Until a parent has signed a contract and paid a four weeks fees deposit the place isn't theirs and I make that clear at interview.

christine e
12-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I try and get both parents to sign but do settle for one - think in these circumstances where you think mum is stalling I would get the contract signed by mum ASAP and if you want dad to sign do it when he is available. If she doesn't turn up tomorrow night then i would say that you have had an enquiry from someone else and that you will be making an appointment for them to visit.

Cx